drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Dr Dre vs Kryptic minds/Pendulum
Go to the bottom of this page Dr Dre vs Kryptic minds/Pendulum 3 Votes - Average Rating: 7.003 Votes - Average Rating: 7.00
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

I think D&B artists like Kryptic Minds & Leon Switch and Pendulum make the best dance music I ever heard . But if I listen to a Dr Dre/Neptunes track the difference in sound quality is huge .

What do Dr Dre/Neptunes do different , how do they get that sound quality ? And why can't the top D&B producers reach that level ?

Greetings Dirk .
07-04-2005 20:34
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Hiphop is about money, so they can play to use the very best engeneers to get that superb sound

DnB is not about money, so they can't afford those expensive engeneers and their studios...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

07-04-2005 20:45 Homepage of Surya
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

I heard that Dre spend a complete week on ajusting the kickdrum , thats real dedication not just lots of money . He also uses the best musicians/instruments available for the job .

I think that the top D&B producers also have a desent income , they must be able to afford a month in a ssl/neve studio to record ther tracks.

And in jazz there is even less money than in D&B . They can deliver good recordings just listen to The Houdini's .

I just don't think that money makes such a huge difference , it must be something else .

Greetings Dirk
07-04-2005 21:05
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by dirk
they must be able to afford a month in a ssl/neve studio to record ther tracks.

Shocked

Don't think so! You know what a good studio costs? We've been in ICP, Brussels. ¤1000 for one day (in studio B, thats with a Neve 88R). I don't think the DnB producers have ¤30000 laying around for a bit of mastering. Spinning records generates income, making records not. Not in DnB.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

07-04-2005 21:17 Homepage of Surya
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

what makes the MOST difference is actually tempo of tracks and "space" each instrument got on 90 bpm and on 170+ , it's easier to tweak simple hiphop tune which contain of few sounds mixed together where every sample has it's own space then mixing lots of sounds that often changes it's frequency [filters]

drumnbass is becouse of its pace and complexity one of the most difficult music style to manage.. imo

no disrespect to hiphop artists, I really enjoy many hiphop or rnb tunes, but I am sure that someone who can mix properly dnb tune can mix properly hiphop tune but I don't think otherwise

__

07-04-2005 22:15
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

People like Goldie ask 5000 euro or more for a couple of hours spinning records .
He does has enough money for his mouth thats for sure ! Woot

Greetings Dirk .
07-04-2005 22:26
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

quote:
People like Goldie ask 5000 euro or more for a couple of hours spinning records .

Greetings Dirk .

I've tried to explain what really does difference mixing tracks on lower bpm gives you more space to work in

__

07-04-2005 22:42
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
I've tried to explain what really does difference mixing tracks on lower bpm gives you more space to work in

I agree with that

And I still think that Goldie has put his money where his mouth is .

Greetings Dirk .
07-04-2005 23:51
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

they said in music magazine, how can you tweak a drumloop in genre of music when the snare is less than a second.

what tweakage is there there?

the timberland beats, which is different than the old school, which is more like DNB beats, is all about the BIG PHAT SUGAR COATED sound.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

08-04-2005 08:08 Homepage of Halph-Price
daze_DND daze_DND is a male
MYSTIC

images/avatars/avatar-2135.gif

Registration Date: 01-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.25

quote:
Originally posted by B-complex
what makes the MOST difference is actually tempo of tracks and "space" each instrument got on 90 bpm and on 170+ , it's easier to tweak simple hiphop tune which contain of few sounds mixed together where every sample has it's own space then mixing lots of sounds that often changes it's frequency [filters]

drumnbass is becouse of its pace and complexity one of the most difficult music style to manage.. imo

no disrespect to hiphop artists, I really enjoy many hiphop or rnb tunes, but I am sure that someone who can mix properly dnb tune can mix properly hiphop tune but I don't think otherwise

i agree. Make some downtempo beats/grooves too from time to time and i always find it easier to get the sound acceptable....with the dnb it takes a lot more effort because of the complexety of the severall tracks.... well , that's my experience anyway.

__

info/tunes :: MySpace
08-04-2005 09:54
daze_DND daze_DND is a male
MYSTIC

images/avatars/avatar-2135.gif

Registration Date: 01-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.25

quote:

Greetings Dirk .

Now your talking about the best payed Dnb-DON (together with Fabio...his asking-price is also Shocked )

Don't think the rest is catching these kind of fees for their gigs.....thank god!

When you book these kind of artists, because of their fame-status in the global scene (who hasn't heard of goldie if yr into dnb?)you will be more shure of yr 'crowd' at yr event. they know this and that's why they can get away with asking such high fees... and they always deliver the goods. ( Metalheadz rules! )

__

info/tunes :: MySpace
08-04-2005 10:08
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

I agree with all these arguments ( higher bpm/more money ect..) but I don't think that can make such big difference . Saturnzreturn did cost a lot of money and makes my ears bleed , it sounds sharp as a needle , not good sound imo .

In the jazz world there is no budget what so ever , they sometimes play 250 bpm and it can sound even better than the dr dre's stuff .

Greetings Dirk .
08-04-2005 20:38
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

jazz has been around for a bit longer and thus, has been refined, and honed, being a contemporary style of music. rap and dnb, both quite the same, have different sound quality, although dnb hasn't been around as long as jazz.

that and they have instruemtns,a dn the craftspeople of that help give the quality of there sound, again another trade that has been around longer than jazz even.

they have recording, and that's pretty much where the sound quality really comes down too.

dnb is part synthesis, and part sampling. or whatever, and that's only been around a couple of decades, let alone the entire genre.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

09-04-2005 06:07 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

You can't compare a jazz mix to a dnb mix. It doesn't have anything to do with the BPMs but with the signal sources and frequency spectrum.

No wonder Jazz sounds great. Jazz is completely minimalist mixing, no compression or effects, often even no EQ or reverb. You have 3 or 4 trained musicians who play sonically matched instruments. It is usually recorded in a decent quality analog studio with good microphones.

Now compare this ideal situation to the harsh reality of heavily compressed dnb with layer upon layer of evil sounds from unknown origins mangled to the bone with twisted vst effects.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
09-04-2005 09:34 Homepage of thechronic
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
You can't compare a jazz mix to a dnb mix. It doesn't have anything to do with the BPMs but with the signal sources and frequency spectrum.

No wonder Jazz sounds great. Jazz is completely minimalist mixing, no compression or effects, often even no EQ or reverb. You have 3 or 4 trained musicians who play sonically matched instruments. It is usually recorded in a decent quality analog studio with good microphones.

Isn't this the way Dr Dre records his stuf : real musicians and real instruments or samples of real instruments ?

Greetings Dirk .
09-04-2005 09:55
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Registration Date: 26-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

Hmmm... I'm not too sure but I don't think he uses real musician, top of the range synth is more my belief...( in some video, you see synth everywhere in their studios.... even on the wall!!)
Dr dre got my respect for his production quality! One of the best producer ever in every kind of music!

__
Yesterday' s futur is today!! Doped
09-04-2005 15:32
kaliyuga kaliyuga is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 2.75

DR DRE MUSIC AND HIP HOP is very simple so it's easy to mix the dynamic rang is less , dnb has lots of things goin on at once plus if dnb was that over produced that clean i would cry. flithy dnb get the name right. plus dre studio is dust clean with gold plated everything, and they have the worlds best engiiners on stand by thst who really makes the sounds clean , as 4 phatness listen to the b lines they so weak snares weak.
09-04-2005 18:02
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic

Now compare this ideal situation to the harsh reality of heavily compressed dnb with layer upon layer of evil sounds from unknown origins mangled to the bone with twisted vst effects.

were suppose to compress our sound?

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

10-04-2005 07:26 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:

Isn't this the way Dr Dre records his stuf : real musicians and real instruments or samples of real instruments ?

Greetings Dirk .

like the samples he used in Kim, or the sample of dido in stand. real instruments, played. recorded years before hand.

most dnb breaks, we're used in hiphop, originaly.

quote:

Led Zeppelin - When the levee breaks
A hollow sounding classic break. Used in tunes like 'Eminem - Kim'. From their album cd.

http://www.rah.gq.nu/bourbon/breaks1.html

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 10-04-2005 07:43.

10-04-2005 07:27 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

i keep thinking about this!!!!
so, dnb has not hit mainstream, as dre and thoes have also. do you tihnk how dre and hip hop can get a clear sound might, have something to do with that also, and how dnb is mostly underground.

dnb is dark, it uses massive effects, do you ever hear dre or anyone in commercial hip-hop use ANYTHING lo-fi appart from mabye a bit of distortion IF THAT!
DNB's main sound, other than the lo-fi amen, is the saturated Hoover. with massive filter sweeps, delays, and reverb, swamping with some of the trippest effects, it doesn't fit easily together as smoothly as hip hop, which usually has one or 2 breaks, with little variations, like the lack of a snare, not a made trip into a completely new drum sound, or a flurry of cymbals.

just dnb is more aggressive and dark and moddy, not a simple minimal hip hop track with vocals. most hip hop tracks don't consist of much, and dont use any lo-fi effects.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

22-04-2005 00:43 Homepage of Halph-Price
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Dr Dre vs Kryptic minds/Pendulum