drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Breakdowns and drops - what are they?
Go to the bottom of this page Breakdowns and drops - what are they?
Author
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

I read a thread about drumnbass-structure here, and have seen some words that I don´t understand. For example; Breakdown, drop etc. Can you give me som useful words ans terms that peaple and producers using like those in the example. Otherwise I can´t understand what people are talking about in the tunes thread.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
07-04-2005 15:45 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

Drop: The climactic point in a DNB song where everything slams in at once. It is usually preceded by an emotionally rising buildup, and usually contains the drums, the bass, and a lead synth (possibly). If you still don't understand, let me know.

Breakdown: Usually follows the drop, and can be easily explained as a funky, minimal chill session. It's the "break" in between the drops.

DNB Structure: Intro--> Buildup--> Drop--> Breakdown--> Buildup--> Drop--> Outro

Never feel constrained to these parameters though, this is just your basic, DJ friendly structure which is easy to mix, and will usually keep enough variation to leave the mind satisfied. All those sections are optional in my opinion. You don't have to add the second buildup, you don't even have to add a breakdown if you can keep enough variation and you have a long enough intro to slam it through efficiently. I would reccomend sticking to that sort of structure if you're planning on making mixable DNB though.

There is also what's considered a "build down", which would be the opposite of a "buildup", and can usually be found after a drop, before you go into a breakdown or the outro.

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by spudleyq: 07-04-2005 16:09.

07-04-2005 16:00 Homepage of spudleyq
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

quote:
Originally posted by spudleyq
Drop: The climactic point in a DNB song where everything slams in at once. It is usually preceded by an emotionally rising buildup, and usually contains the drums, the bass, and a lead synth (possibly). If you still don't understand, let me know.

Breakdown: Usually follows the drop, and can be easily explained as a funky, minimal chill session. It's the "break" in between the drops.

DNB Structure: Intro--> Buildup--> Drop--> Breakdown--> Buildup--> Drop--> Outro

Never feel constrained to these parameters though, this is just your basic, DJ friendly structure which is easy to mix, and will usually keep enough variation to leave the mind satisfied. All those sections are optional in my opinion. You don't have to add the second buildup, you don't even have to add a breakdown if you can keep enough variation and you have a long enough intro to slam it through efficiently. I would reccomend sticking to that sort of structure if you're planning on making mixable DNB though.

There is also what's considered a "build down", which would be the opposite of a "buildup", and can usually be found after a drop, before you go into a breakdown or the outro.

Thanks for your answer. It have made me understand more. Can you give me a songname of a tune that is quite wellknown and contains this kind of arrangement? Couse then I would be able to lissen and here it to.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
08-04-2005 20:46 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

if you really get into a track, the structure goes a little like this:
Intro--> Buildup--> Drop--> Breakdown--> Buildup--> Drop--> Outro|STOP|DROP --> MASSIVE BREAKDOWN --> buildup --> DROP - - - - - - > crazy stuff --> outro

edit: you can find THIS kind of structure in surora's meltdown track Pleased
BIG RESPECT MAN !!! Smile )

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Rude: 08-04-2005 20:52.

08-04-2005 20:50 Homepage of Rude
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

ya know what, there's a sub intro kinda of before the intro, it's not really called that, but it's the part of the song, usually before any drums come in. not all songs do that, bt it's just atmosphere and noise. usually. it would be a sub-intro, because dj's can beat sync to that noise. check surya's song, The Silence for that.

buildups are short. drops should fill all sound freq, trebel mid and bass.

second drop should be as, rude said, massive, meaning, more energy in it, never let the first drop out do the second drop.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

09-04-2005 06:17 Homepage of Halph-Price
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price

second drop should be as, rude said, massive, meaning, more energy in it, never let the first drop out do the second drop.

Unless the second drop is meant to be a downshifter, meaning that you've already been through the massive, and now you want to get on to the next track.

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
11-04-2005 15:12 Homepage of spudleyq
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Breakdowns and drops - what are they?