drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Tunes » Surya - Play the Theme
Go to the bottom of this page Surya - Play the Theme 6 Votes - Average Rating: 8.676 Votes - Average Rating: 8.676 Votes - Average Rating: 8.676 Votes - Average Rating: 8.67
Author
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Please check out my new track 'Play the Theme' and post your comments here!!!

Track that lay in my shelf for a few months. I started working on if after I was checking out Reason 3.0 and I got some new ideas, so I got to work again.

The goal was a brutal and quite hard track, but with a special groove that should still be danceable, I think I got close to that.
I'm pretty pleased with the sound of it too, coz it does sound quite brutal.

I know it's kinda repetetive, but I felt like this track should be about this theme with this groove, so that's what I did. That's also the reason the track is quite short (under 5 minutes). I think this might be a good track to play between 2 other tracks, not playing it too long. Might be a nice change in the set, no?

Anywayz, tell me what you think! And yeah, Evol Intent has a great influence on me, I plead guilty!!! :D

This track has been deleted on the producer's request

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

23-03-2005 10:37 Homepage of Surya
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Everytime I see "surya" in the title of a song, I check it out. But this track.. I don't know.. It gets kinda boring .. I'm not sure about the structure of the drums, they're like, oh here a bd, there a snare..
I like your other tracks, but this ... I dunno man Frown

__

23-03-2005 11:47 Homepage of Rude
marine289 marine289 is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Intro is nice, cool vocal, but it's a bit empty. But that gets better as the track continues though.
Unlike rude, i like the structure of the drums very much. Some original things Bigup
And also nice effects... But you are right when you say it's a bit too repetitive...
I think that you did a good job though, considering your goals was to make a brutal and hard track...
But I think I've heard more brutal tracks from you though...
Bass is cool too. Your sound is really good, but there's one BD that is just a little too loud I think. But it's only in there a few times...
Overall I think it's quite good. 3.5/5
23-03-2005 12:57
Lizziekah Lizziekah is a female
Sexy Tourist

Registration Date: 07-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.00

Powww...
incoming break, cool
firefight?
kinda repetetive indead..
I like your other tracks more Wink
23-03-2005 13:10
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

how you can take this song as boring, you must be an amature. this song is always offering variety. it has a constant groove, but i like it Big Grin .

would be a good dance song, but i don't find it getting boring. it's amazing the variations. like every loops.

surya do you use samples for your instruments? how do you come up with all thoes variations.

i always link Surya with great music, and would buy a cd if it was featuring the artist Surya.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

23-03-2005 14:49 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by marine289
but there's one BD that is just a little too loud I think. But it's only in there a few times...

Yeah, but I intended it more as some kind of kicking bassline, and it had to have impact, thats why I made it slightly louder...

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
surya do you use samples for your instruments?

Mostly, yes. I spend a lot of time making them and altering them with all kinds of filters...

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
how do you come up with all thoes variations.

Dunno. I play the track, and when I think "this is kinda enough of the same" I go "lets fuck it up" and then I start experimenting. I try doing unexpected things that still kinda fit in the groove of the track.
Mostly I copy/paste the basic structure and then I start adding variations all over. That way I don't have the same variations the whole time. This is the part that takes up most time when making the track. I've spend 3 whole days just on the variations in thisone.

Anyways, everybody, tnx for the feedback, and I kinda expected not everyone would like this as much as my other tracks since it is kinda different.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

23-03-2005 16:51 Homepage of Surya
Anthem Anthem is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 18-02-2005

I like the effects at the back ... drums, dunno .. it's heavy allright.
nice bass ...
23-03-2005 16:56 Homepage of Anthem
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

This track rules! Rinse mate I fuckin love this one...nuff said
23-03-2005 17:05
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

I'm sorry, but this is one of the best tracks I've ever heard you make Surya. The sound is fucking mint, the synths are fucking juiced, and the groove is fucking ruff'n'tuff. I can definately hear the EI in there. The only thing I might not like, would be that main synth you use, it doesn't seem gruff enough for me...although it does have nice eerie feeling to it.

First breakdown, nice and mellow. It's pretty hard, but it feels like it could be harder. You're not using samples for those sounds are you? Some of them sound familiar, but I'm not entirely sure. I honestly don't see how anyone can say this is repetitive, it's one of your least repetitive songs yet. I think you should stick with this style, it's very becoming, and you do it rather well.

4.5/5 for sound
5/5 for sequencing/idea

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
23-03-2005 18:58 Homepage of spudleyq
stickbubbly stickbubbly is a male
mad man

Registration Date: 16-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.13

hard, clean, and heavy.
i think the lead could use some more volume just too make it jump out a bit more, but thats all i can say. the rest of the track is deadly.
nice work choppin the beat up.

i enjoyed it.

cheers.
23-03-2005 19:26
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

Definitely your best track yet - still has great levels and sound quality - but this has a lot more going on than usual - great dark, unpredictable structure - love it. I'll give a more detailed review later but just got in from Miami and marking is piled high. A 5/5 from me - one of the best tracks I've heard on this site for sure - right on bro!!

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page
24-03-2005 03:38 Homepage of Nosrac
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

Hard and darksounding tune. Great mix. You havn't got your own style - try to make something different out of the style to get an unic sound. I'd rather have some more softer places as contrast to the hard.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
24-03-2005 22:01 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Abnormalbrain
You havn't got your own style - try to make something different out of the style to get an unic sound.

Dunno man, I moved into this style from a more generic sound, and I'm absolutly lovin it. This is my style. And maybe some other people produce the same style, that doesn't mean this style isn't my onw. At least, that's what I think Smile

Tnx for the reviews everyone!

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

25-03-2005 08:25 Homepage of Surya
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

Intro is nice, the drums can get repative, ahh, some variations. The kick is pretty loud.

Drop: the snare needs some work, you don't have a bassline, more of a deep kick.

Try to have more going on, it's pretty boring with just what you ahve going here

Your classic one words rap sample.

Good variations and stuff.

You clearly put a lot of work in thisone!
I would reccomand trying to work out the problems. I would love to hear it.

3.5/5 for the track
3/5 for the sound

naw i am just kidding need smaller text, tihs is readable.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 25-03-2005 09:55.

25-03-2005 09:54 Homepage of Halph-Price
Retroshift
Steppa

Registration Date: 31-10-2003

This track is great, long time we heard something from u surya Smile I love the drumsequensing, real professional, remembers me of EO. I like the layered trianglish bells, a lil bit of prodigy. Snares and snare rolls sound nice.
Alot of nice details like effects and extra kicks...
Only negative point imo is that the mainsynth needs more variation...
Big ups
Malinaz represent

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Retroshift: 25-03-2005 21:54.

25-03-2005 21:52
wreakon wreakon is a male
evol genius

images/avatars/avatar-1689.jpg

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

yeah i really like this tune..

love the structure and drums.. cool style...

i wana make a track like this Smile

i just think the sounds just get old quickly... this first drop is very early which doesnt help trying to keep it interesting... you give away too much too early

the panning in the vocals is a bit overdone

that bit at 1:55 is wicked

definitely worth having another go at this one

4.5/5 Bigup

btw is that a tramen chop? nicely done Big Grin whats the effect you used on it???

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

The Patch lab - Download free vst patches, banks and kits

mylamespace

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by wreakon: 26-03-2005 16:35.

26-03-2005 16:08 Homepage of wreakon
RYAN

Registration Date: 26-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 2.00

NICE IDEA BUT JUST GOES NOWHERE A STYLE ALREDY BEING SMASHED DRUM AND BASS ONCE AGAIN SHALL FALL INTO THE DEPTHS IF WE ALL KEEP DOING THE SAME THING . NEW AND DIFFERENT . I HAVE HEARD TRACKS BY SURYA THAT I LIKE BUT THIS UNFORTUNATLY IS NOT ONE OF THEM. ANYONE DOING NEW STLYE GIVE US A SHOUT
27-03-2005 12:37
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by reckon
btw is that a tramen chop? nicely done Big Grin whats the effect you used on it???

There is a tramen in some parts, but the main beats are just one-shots samples.
The tramen has very little effects on it, just has some hats and rides and stuff layered. Offcourse I chopped it Smile

quote:
Originally posted by RYAN
NICE IDEA BUT JUST GOES NOWHERE A STYLE ALREDY BEING SMASHED DRUM AND BASS ONCE AGAIN SHALL FALL INTO THE DEPTHS IF WE ALL KEEP DOING THE SAME THING . NEW AND DIFFERENT .

I don't try doing new things per se, I just try making music I like making and listening too, and if it's new, that's good for me, but if it isn't that's just as good. Why change a winning fomula? (not that I follow a formula, I just do my thing Big Grin )

PS: try not using caps lock when typing Wink

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-03-2005 21:57 Homepage of Surya
RYAN

Registration Date: 26-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 2.00

WHO'S WINNING FORMULA ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, DRUM AND BASS HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT PUSHING THINGS FORWARD. I UNDERSTAND AND APPRECIATE WHAT YOUR SAYING AND THINK PEOPLE SHOULD MAKE MUSIC BECAUSE THEY WANT TO WITHOUT LIMITS... BUT WHAT YOU HAVE TO REALISE IS THAT YOU POSTED YOUR TUNE AND ASKED FOR FEEDBACK ON THAT CERTAIN TUNE. MY REMARK WAS FOR THAT TUNE AND NOT A QUESTION ON YOUR WHOLE MUSICAL ETHOS OR THE REASON YOU DID IT.
27-03-2005 22:18
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Offcourse, but I wanted you to know what I thought about your feedback. But thanks anyway Smile Thanks to everyone in fact!

And that winning formula is what I call it since it's what I want to hear: rough beats with lots of switches and variations, ripping and kicking basslines with unexpected twists Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-03-2005 22:19 Homepage of Surya
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Tunes » Surya - Play the Theme