drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Interesting Article about Convolution
Go to the bottom of this page Interesting Article about Convolution
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

Just interesting reading .

http://www.resolutionmag.com/pdfs/TECHNO%7E1/SAMPLI%7E1.PDF

Greetings Dirk .
21-03-2005 07:47
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

not a lot of response it seems.

quote:

However, the simulation still falls short of the original analogue device. This is because the method described can only simulate an LTI system, and unfortunately an analogue equaliser has, as part of its complexity, non-linearities that are habitually exploited by recording engineers. It is a well-known practice to drive an analogue processor harder to change its sound.

Is it so important to have the non-lineair sound in an equaliser? I think that if you go buying an analogue eq one of the things you will look for is a low distortion.
22-03-2005 20:18
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

Ozone3 by iZatope, 64-bit rendering for that, good enough non-linear EQ.

but other than that, i hate PFD. so i'll assume this is enoug to, along with, and i quote, "WOW ANALOG IS BETTER?!"

theres better moddeling comeing out every month though, so all the greats of analog effects, are coming to digital more and more, but like Virus IT, there's also the Intergration of A and D.

Future is full of technological revolutions, but for a low budget amature, digital is better than, a millison-dollar production suit.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 23-03-2005 00:11.

23-03-2005 00:03 Homepage of Halph-Price
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Is it so important to have the non-lineair sound in an equaliser?

Well this non linear behaviour sounds actualy very nice .

Static sounds are boring and digital does not auto micro modulate like acoustic or analoge instruments .

Analoge alway's micromodulates but you can't turn it of .

Micromodulation is just an effect .

Convultion gives us the micromodulation we want at the puch of a button so we can turn it of when we don't need it .

I want FIR eq , compression and effects on every channel ! Unfortunately we need a G7 power mac for this or more .

quote:
WOW ANALOG IS BETTER

You are mistaking technology for preformance , analoge is different not better .

Greetings Dirk .
23-03-2005 08:18
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

they said it themself, they came out with new equipment, and would still use the older Analog, thus meaning that the older Equipment was diffrent?

na, i tihnk it ment the older analog was better. or at the very least, for sound quality purpose.

so basicly it sounds better because of different distortions for different levels, thus making it have a more complex sound, that's level sensative. making a louder higher sound being more distorted. or soemthing like that.

i know dirk can correct my error.

Greetings Halph-Price

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 23-03-2005 14:43.

23-03-2005 14:43 Homepage of Halph-Price
border border is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1241.gif

Registration Date: 20-05-2004

very interesting idd
thanks for the link Smile

btw it's convolution (not convultion)
23-03-2005 16:00
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

What is the point of the article? Convolutive sampling fx sound more like analog and you need to take samples at different input levels to account for the non-linear response?
Yes ofcourse, and at different Q-settings, different bandwidths and different cut-off frequencies too.

Convolutive sampling was developed for (reasonably) linear effects such as reverb, it's logical you need to sample different 'images' to account for any non-linear aspects.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
23-03-2005 16:03 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
so basicly it sounds better because of different distortions for different levels, thus making it have a more complex sound, that's level sensative. making a louder higher sound being more distorted. or soemthing like that.

No it doesn't sound better because of the distortion lol. Distortion is just something that always occurs in analoge gear (digital too btw), to varying degrees depending on the quality of the unit. Nobody will buy an EQ because it has certain distortion characteristics.

Analog devices can have all kinds of unintended effects on audio signals, like distortion, compression, phase shifts, delays, altered frequency responses, noise, altered rise and fall times of the waveform, DC shifts etc. These effects can happen for the entire frequency spectrum or just for a part of it.
The relative balance between these effects make up the 'character' of a certain analog device.

BTW in good analog gear most of these effects will be completely unnoticeable, good analog gear is very, very clean sounding, much cleaner and smoother than most digital equivalents.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
23-03-2005 16:14 Homepage of thechronic
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
What is the point of the article?

To take a look in the future .

In the future we can have a completely lineair recording/monitoring chain and then ad the desired character of the good analoge stuff at the flik of a switch .

I can hardly wait .

Greetings Dirk .

Ps. Halph-price I give 4 stars for your last tune
23-03-2005 18:08
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

i swear to god i am going to kill you all.

metaphoricly speaking.

Big Grin

what i mean by that, is that is, don't some people WANT the flaws in analog, that do thoes things they do? is what i suppose.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

23-03-2005 18:16 Homepage of Halph-Price
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
btw it's convolution (not convultion)

Its my notorius bad spelling again .

quote:
don't some people WANT the flaws in analog

Yes , please don't kill me . Big Grin

As most people on this forum know I am very biased towards analoge synths , its just more fun , sorry .

Greetings Dirk .
24-03-2005 08:08
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

I don't want the flaws in digital Big Grin

I have never met anyone who has experience with both analog and digital gear and prefers digital. IMO if you prefer digital you probably haven't worked with analog yet. Wink

__
24-03-2005 09:28 Homepage of thechronic
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

i preffer cheaper things. and until you can download Analog from KaZaA, well, i can't afford it. hence the name, halph-price. it's more a tribute to what i work with.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

24-03-2005 19:13 Homepage of Halph-Price
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
What is the point of the article? Convolutive sampling fx sound more like analog and you need to take samples at different input levels to account for the non-linear response?
Yes ofcourse, and at different Q-settings, different bandwidths and different cut-off frequencies too.

Convolutive sampling was developed for (reasonably) linear effects such as reverb, it's logical you need to sample different 'images' to account for any non-linear aspects.

The point of the article is sellingl this. If i wanted a digital eq i'd like to have no distortionl and usage of FIR filters (wich would have the same effect as convolution btw) Having non-lineair stuff is more something you do before the eq imho.
24-03-2005 21:21
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
i preffer cheaper things. and until you can download Analog from KaZaA, well, i can't afford it. hence the name, halph-price. it's more a tribute to what i work with.

A Roland Alfajuno/Mks50 don't set you back more than 200 euro's and it will keep its value ( this means that they don't cost any money , you can sell them later at the same price ) You can't get cheaper than that .
It's got pretty desent strings , nice bass , very good brass , usable piano sounds ; I think its a good alround synth .

But most of all : Hoover Hoover Hoover Reece Reece
Its unbeatable at these sounds .

I can give you some samples if you want , just ask .

Greetings Dirk .
24-03-2005 22:37
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

Speaking about cheap equipment :

I got a Eminent Theatre 310 Unique for free !!!

Listen to these samples .http://www.perkristian.net/Eminent_310_Unique_Audio.htm

Greetings Dirk .
24-03-2005 23:00
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Daemon79
The point of the article is sellingl this. If i wanted a digital eq i'd like to have no distortionl and usage of FIR filters (wich would have the same effect as convolution btw) Having non-lineair stuff is more something you do before the eq imho.

Well you are definitely right, after writing that I have browsed through their entire site and now I am very interested in their stuff Big Grin

Will check it out as soon as I find somebody who has one and will report here Wink

__
25-03-2005 01:29 Homepage of thechronic
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Daemon79

Well you are definitely right, after writing that I have browsed through their entire site and now I am very interested in their stuff

Will check it out as soon as I find somebody who has one and will report here

I have no idea what you are talking about .Does resoultion magazine sell equipment or do you mean sintefex ?

Gtreetings Dirk .
25-03-2005 06:21
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

If u desided that you want the non-linear stuff in your signal chain , it doesn't matter where you put this in the chain . FIR filters can have these non-linearities build in but it doesn't have to be so . Is this what you mean ?

I can't wait for a review of the sintefex stuff .

Greetings Dirk .
25-03-2005 06:35
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

I suddenly realized that you are right it is an advertisement .

Thanks for kicking my butt !!!

I got all excited about the fact that we can have all the nice non-lineair distortions at the flik of a switch . We all agree that it does not matter where you put them in the chain .

Greetings Dirk .
25-03-2005 08:56
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Interesting Article about Convolution