drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Reason » Teebee on Reason
Go to the bottom of this page Teebee on Reason
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

i think the guitar sound, is as bad as crappy techno.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

28-02-2005 17:56 Homepage of Halph-Price
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

Peal Jam have some great albums! admitidly they have a couple of weak ones but vitalogy & vs are classic
28-02-2005 18:16
lotus lotus is a female
Sexy Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-355.gif

Registration Date: 10-08-2003

quote:
well,..... i guess 'the big playaz' are worried about the fact that you don't have to invest in a lot of hardware (that cost a 1000 of dollars) to make a good tune.

ah honestly I think that's a bit naive... I've gotta agree with Teebee. There's soooo much electronic music out there that is just plain badly produced, crappily mixed and lacking creative ideas or sound banks.

AND I agree with him Reason et al. is one of the factors that have led to this... but, it doesn't mean you can't make a good tune with reason... But I do think you need to master it properly to get the "fatness" in the sound, a nice bit of compression (preferably analogue) and so on... Pure digital just doesn't bring that "warm feeling".

__
http://www.hydra-breaks.net
28-02-2005 20:23 Homepage of lotus
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

it doesn't have to, does it?

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

01-03-2005 00:48 Homepage of Halph-Price
dirk
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

quote:
Pure digital just doesn't bring that "warm feeling

Well it isn't that simple , an analoge effect can be seen as a box that adds noise and distortion to a signal . Since al real signals have limeted bandwith you can represent them with a digital signal wich has more bandwith than the original signal .
Or in other words digital is actualy the same as analoge !
And to get the same sound as analoge you simply add the same noise and distortion .

Of cause if the digital designers don't do their job properly the digital distortion , like aliasing , jitter , wrong use of dither and insufficient bitdepth , cause serious signal degradation . See Learn what you pay for

Greetings Dirk .

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dirk: 01-03-2005 06:46.

01-03-2005 06:43
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

but the same degree of distortion that analog gives, can not be emulated in digital. even simply emulating one resistor to the same quality, is near impossible.

but do you NEED that warm sound? is it because people are use to it, or is there an actual reason.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

01-03-2005 15:00 Homepage of Halph-Price
10Sion

Registration Date: 14-02-2005

Well, yes... There is a lot of it in that ppl are used to a generic sound feel (in this case ANALOG)... And now in computer age when everybody (or most of) has access to music creation software ppl are starting to make sounds more hmm... different... Maybe we got to get used to that sound. Who knows?
01-03-2005 16:52
daze_DND daze_DND is a male
MYSTIC

images/avatars/avatar-2135.gif

Registration Date: 01-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.25

quote:
Originally posted by lotus
[QUOTE]well,..... i guess 'the big playaz' are worried about the fact that you don't have to invest in a lot of hardware (that cost a 1000 of dollars) to make a good tune.

ah honestly I think that's a bit naive... I've gotta agree with Teebee. There's soooo much electronic music out there that is just plain badly produced, crappily mixed and lacking creative ideas or sound banks.

quote]

naive ? Huh my point was that anyone that wants to make music ,can do so because of the digital revolution (you don't have to rob a bank or so to get yr basic set-up these days...that used to be different!)

Back in the day dnb was a very small subculture with a dozen off labels. Now it's getting bigger every year with a zillion labels.....lot's of peeps start there own label to put mainly their own stuff out. Many came and disapeared again.
when you think about it: a recordlabel has to push a lot off copys to survive/make profit (vynil still is very expensive to manufacture so the 'profit' per sold plate is very small). i guess lot's off peeps buy these 'crap' tunes, otherwise those labels wouldn't survive...
Sadly enough it's pretty normal: this has happend with techno and every sub-culture genre that has become big (commercial if you like).

Mad
I'm just trying to give my point of view on this (or any subject) and try to support this site by doing so..... IT'S JUST AN OPINION! but i guess it's not appreciated...so im gonna shut up for now.

Peace!

__

info/tunes :: MySpace

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by daze_DND: 01-03-2005 19:24.

01-03-2005 17:29
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
Even simply emulating one resistor to the same quality, is near impossible.

True, but it is rather the lack of quality that makes it hard to simulate. An avarage resistor has a tolerance of 10%, and has a parasite capacitance and inductance making it frequency-dependant (Same theory goes for any other electronic component). Furthermore the properties of the components will change with temperature, humidity and time. When simulating a resistor in the most simple way only the resisting component will be accounted for, and it will be perfectly stable.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
01-03-2005 18:27 Homepage of djfreemc
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

that's the quality that is hard to emulate. not the suprior quality.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

01-03-2005 19:11 Homepage of Halph-Price
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

There is actualy no difference between digital or analoge . But that rule works only if the technologies operate liniair .
The difference between the technologies is how they distort .

Digital produces distortion that has no relation to the input signal , and when you clip digital you get uneven harmonics right up to the upper freq. band . ( 7th , 9th , 11 th , ect ... harmonic )

Analoge distortion does have a relation to the input singal ( It is alway's harmonic )

Opamps produce only uneven harmonic distortion ( 3 5 7 ect ) and the clipping is symetrical

Transistors also has uneven harmonics but they go not that far as opamps , they produce also a litle bit of 4 harmonics and the clipping is a litle bit asymetric .

Tubes produce when cliped lots of 2 and 3 harmonics and not so much of the higher ones . Also simple triode schematics produce 2 harmonics even when you don't clip them and the clipping is very asymetrical .

Analoge tape alway's produces harmonic distortion because the magnetic particles "set" themselfes and when cliped produces just like tubes only the lowes harmonics .

So what happens if you record for example a snare . You set the controles of the micpre and input of the recording device so that you just can't hear the distortion .

If you have used desent digital than your recording will sound prety much like the real thing .

If you have used tubes and tape to record the same snare it will sound much louder because you can clip analoge more before you hear that nasty distortion . And the distortion that you have added sounds very nice .
The result is a bigger than life sound . And that's what we want in populair music . You use the inperfections of analoge to get a huge sound .

Analoge is more idiot proof than digital .

quote:
And to get the same sound as analoge you simply add the same noise and distortion .

We just don't completely understand how the analoge distortion works , so analoge has still its uses .

Greetings Dirk .
02-03-2005 06:40
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

I saw this article in the sound on sound some time ago . Its about the korg legacy , what is a software version of the MS20 / Polysix / M1 .

Here you can see very clearly the difference between software synths and hardware synths . First read the article and then take a very close look at the pictures of the saw waveshapes . I think these pictures tell a completely different story . The first harmonic is stronger in the hardware version , this means that the hardware version will sound warmer than the software version . The hardware version also has stronger higher harmonics .

This is exactly the sonic difference between virtual and real synths . Hardware synths sound a lot warmer and richer than their software counterparts .

Here's the article Korg Legacy Collection

And remember this : You can't get good sound with crappy sounding instruments !

Greetings Dirk .
07-03-2005 04:41
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by dirk
There is actualy no difference between digital or analoge . But that rule works only if the technologies operate liniair .
The difference between the technologies is how they distort .

Digital produces distortion that has no relation to the input signal , and when you clip digital you get uneven harmonics right up to the upper freq. band . ( 7th , 9th , 11 th , ect ... harmonic )

Analoge distortion does have a relation to the input singal ( It is alway's harmonic )

Opamps produce only uneven harmonic distortion ( 3 5 7 ect ) and the clipping is symetrical

Transistors also has uneven harmonics but they go not that far as opamps , they produce also a litle bit of 4 harmonics and the clipping is a litle bit asymetric .

Tubes produce when cliped lots of 2 and 3 harmonics and not so much of the higher ones . Also simple triode schematics produce 2 harmonics even when you don't clip them and the clipping is very asymetrical .

Analoge tape alway's produces harmonic distortion because the magnetic particles "set" themselfes and when cliped produces just like tubes only the lowes harmonics .

So what happens if you record for example a snare . You set the controles of the micpre and input of the recording device so that you just can't hear the distortion .

If you have used desent digital than your recording will sound prety much like the real thing .

If you have used tubes and tape to record the same snare it will sound much louder because you can clip analoge more before you hear that nasty distortion . And the distortion that you have added sounds very nice .
The result is a bigger than life sound . And that's what we want in populair music . You use the inperfections of analoge to get a huge sound .

Analoge is more idiot proof than digital .

quote:

We just don't completely understand how the analoge distortion works , so analoge has still its uses .

Greetings Dirk .

thank you.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

07-03-2005 14:15 Homepage of Halph-Price
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 

BULLSHIT!! All these up and comers, and even some veterans...are all sitting out there thinking that if they get expensive hardware or software that their music will automatically sound better. This is true in one sense, the actual digital quality of the sound, may in fact, sound better.......but come on.......a retard using a casio keyboard is still going to be a retard even if he's using a vintage patch-cord synthesizer. I'm not saying you guys are full of bullshit......just that people are full of bullshit. Too many kids are getting into this shit using programs like Reason, Sony Acid Pro, Fruity Loops, and they're just having their parents buy them a shitload of ACID loop CD's, or ReFill CD's so they can play cut and paste and arrange someone else's work into what they call "Their Masterpiece".....it's bullshit!! A monkey with a mouse and a keyboard could make the same shit they're making. Take a synthesizer, fuck with the knobs and buttons, add some crazy FX to it, and THEN you can say you're making music. Even if it sounds like a car-wreck and the digital screeching is causing your parents to become unconscious and the SWAT team is swarming your house on a call for suspected "Audio Terrorism", at least it's FUCKING ORIGINAL!!!

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
07-03-2005 15:30 Homepage of spudleyq
illuminati
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-191.jpg

Registration Date: 21-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

why not use software and hardware combined....why not push the envelope and run "reason" or "fruity" thru cubase...or logic...and use external insturments like guitars....etc....and play along with already sequenced material...you could even add scratches...from a turntable.....a good soundcard...a dsp card....are all you really need...of course midi controllers are great but not totally necessary....i just think the software hardware debate is like beating a deadhorse...the only thing that matters is the end result....imo....i do however agree that using ONLY presets is lame...using organic samples is a lot cooler...tailoring sounds to go together and understanding what is making any sounds being used from a synth....basically make your own loops...don`t use other peoples that your ripped off a cd....thats just about as bad as being ONLY a dj and calling yourself a musician

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by illuminati: 10-03-2005 03:27.

10-03-2005 03:25
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by spudleyq
BULLSHIT!! All these up and comers, and even some veterans...are all sitting out there thinking that if they get expensive hardware or software that their music will automatically sound better. This is true in one sense, the actual digital quality of the sound, may in fact, sound better.......but come on.......a retard using a casio keyboard is still going to be a retard even if he's using a vintage patch-cord synthesizer. I'm not saying you guys are full of bullshit......just that people are full of bullshit. Too many kids are getting into this shit using programs like Reason, Sony Acid Pro, Fruity Loops, and they're just having their parents buy them a shitload of ACID loop CD's, or ReFill CD's so they can play cut and paste and arrange someone else's work into what they call "Their Masterpiece".....it's bullshit!! A monkey with a mouse and a keyboard could make the same shit they're making. Take a synthesizer, fuck with the knobs and buttons, add some crazy FX to it, and THEN you can say you're making music. Even if it sounds like a car-wreck and the digital screeching is causing your parents to become unconscious and the SWAT team is swarming your house on a call for suspected "Audio Terrorism", at least it's FUCKING ORIGINAL!!!

i agree with that, and nobody can say i don't do that, minus the audio terroist bit, reminds me a friend who made a song Called Audio Terrorist, the key line was sound is my weapon.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 10-03-2005 03:38.

10-03-2005 03:37 Homepage of Halph-Price
@1$-)
unregistered
to be honest i reckon he was probably just having a bad day. i moan about shit all the time....i reckon he loves software.He just cant be bothered to re learn it all again, maybe the day he got interviewed his dodgy version of e jay wouldnt boot. Big Grin
24-11-2005 23:22
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I guess he's referring to all the premade patches that come with it, and a lot of beginners use them, so they all have that same shitty sound...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

25-11-2005 07:00 Homepage of Surya
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

indeed the dnb soundbanks that come with reason are total and utter crap, I was amazed

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
25-11-2005 12:30 Homepage of cynik
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

I dont use patches im proud to say .. i have refills but most of the time i use high quality samples..

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
25-11-2005 12:35 Homepage of Arkitekt
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Reason » Teebee on Reason