drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » best guitar synth ever?
Go to the bottom of this page best guitar synth ever?
Author
Hidden identity Hidden identity is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 17-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.21

heres a nice demo, make riffs and loops while you can cause it expires in 14 days,

www.musiclab.com

i couldnt download cause its too big, 42MB,
but i did hear much good word about it from CM.

what i want is a guitar synth that is 1.3MB or smaller,
its all i can take home off the public computer.

but anyways im here to talk about great guitar synths, i need all teh help i can get,

who here samples a real guitar then uses guitar amp effects instead of a guitar / rock guitar synth?

.....cant think, closing in a few minutes here... public computers. i gotta go, but please reviwew this synth and tell me about other good string instrument synths and if any are under 1.37mb in size post the link for me,.... actualy always post the link for everyone. thanks.

(to emulate a guitar sound with a home made oscilator thing never under estimate the power of multiple LFOs.. right?)
=====================
(edit)
LOL! they locked me in the UI office!!!
hahah. well i guess ill be posting more! Smile

__
I'm trying to unfuck my sig.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Hidden identity: 17-02-2005 20:09.

17-02-2005 20:07
marine289 marine289 is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I ve downloaded that too, but I dont really like it...
I use samples for my guitars, or soundfonts (basicly the same as samples). But if you are looking for a vst, the only one I can think of would be Slayer 2...
Im also using a plugin called Guitar Rig. It's actually every guitar-effect you will ever need! But it's only effects, so you have to have an input as well. But you can use it ona anything, although it sounds pretty weird when applied to an organ or flute Big Grin Red Face . I use that most of the time, but it's pretty expensive, and uses a lot of CPU!
17-02-2005 20:50
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Amp Factory is good imo, it's made by Line 6 - the guys who also make the famous Pod guitar amp simulators

edit: sorry offtopic, this plugin does not simulate guitars, only amps... you can make everything sound like a guitar though if you put enough overdrive on it Wink

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
17-02-2005 23:22 Homepage of thechronic
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

ugh, Slayer 2 is not the best synth out there.

but this RealGuitar doesn't count as a guitar synth, it's a guitar ROMpler.

slayer would be a guitar synth, since it is synthetic, and not sampled.

don't get me wrong, still would use it over slayer any day. slayers just good for unplug'd punk bass, and maybe acustic (hard to do) but there amp and modelling are so bad, that it doesn't sound authentic at all.

Absolutely right cronic, with a good amp modler, anyone can throw a square wave through Amplitube or Guitar Rig and have it sound more real then a slayer any day.

Slayer 1 and Slayer 2, there wasn't much improvement int he quality in the second just more variety of crap.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 18-02-2005 06:25.

18-02-2005 06:22 Homepage of Halph-Price
marine289 marine289 is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I just use Slayer for effects now, not for guitar anymore... But slayer isnt really that bad, if you just need a guitar quick, then it's really usefull. But like I said, I use samples nowadays.
18-02-2005 08:40
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
edit: sorry offtopic, this plugin does not simulate guitars, only amps... you can make everything sound like a guitar though if you put enough overdrive on it Wink

Indeed, dirstorted Grand Piano sounds a lot like a guitar Smile

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

18-02-2005 13:38 Homepage of Surya
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

I'd rather play guitar than use a synth but i'm not a producer. The best way fo me to emulate would still be physical modelling.
18-02-2005 15:16
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

have you ever done modelling? Wink

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

18-02-2005 18:05 Homepage of Halph-Price
muphasta muphasta is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1490.jpg

Registration Date: 29-06-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.88

pfffffff
here we go again!!!!! no guitarsynth could ever simulate a real one. just like trumpets. it even doesnt get close. i'm not saying the sound of the synth cannt be ok but like a live recorded one. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

__
muphasta none dnb
www.myspace.com/muphsugar
reggeadubwise.com
Roots-reggea-project: muphsteppa
muphsteppa@reggeadubwise
18-02-2005 19:13
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
have you ever done modelling? Wink

You really don't want to know the answer to that one. Wink

quote:
muphasta
pfffffff
here we go again!!!!! no guitarsynth could ever simulate a real one. just like trumpets. it even doesnt get close. i'm not saying the sound of the synth cannt be ok but like a live recorded one. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that's actually what i'm trying to do with the vsti's i'm writing. If your working with software you don't have to focus on simulating real instruments. It's more fun if you try to do imaginary stuff. (I'm not saying i have the best sounds there are but i think they can be quite oriiginal.
18-02-2005 20:00
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

guitar synth, using modelling.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

21-02-2005 23:42 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by muphasta
pfffffff

cheers

doesn't have to emulate a real guitar, just enough that you arn't sure. if've heard TB303 and ask'ed friend if they though it was a guitar tap solo or a synth, and they wern't sure. that's what i tihnk is cool.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

21-02-2005 23:44 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Erm, a 303 doesn't sound even close to a guitar imo!... although it was originaly intended as a bassguitar emulator Big Grin

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

22-02-2005 12:51 Homepage of Surya
KoFFiE KoFFiE is a male
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-271.gif

Registration Date: 28-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.83

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Erm, a 303 doesn't sound even close to a guitar imo!... although it was originaly intended as a bassguitar emulator Big Grin

intended - flopped - rediscovered (+ raped) - and then a huge success Big Grin

__
Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee
22-02-2005 13:57 Homepage of KoFFiE
Samoth Samoth is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-609.jpg

Registration Date: 21-08-2004

Why don't you sample a real guitar. Take some samples of guitar playing various notes and load them into a sampler. You could do clean and distorted then put other software fx on it (Soft distortions on guitars sound crap for some reason, not saturated enough). Everyone knows a guitarist, they're quite abundent (good ones, however...).

Daemon79, im also interested in making synths. I assume you're using c++, how do you go about modeling instruments? I've only got as far as the equations for various waveforms. Working on filters next... its quite a mission.

__
Death Ur-Sag Zi-Ga-Ni Naphar Ajjabi Sharush! Sa-Par-Mah-Zu Diri La-Magiru Sin Su-La. Spliff
23-02-2005 14:55 Homepage of Samoth
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya

ya, it doesn't

i know

but yhhhhh, the point i was making was i have heard like daft punk, i think, doo what sounded like a tap solo, with a 303.

a tap solo is a portamato of notes that are all high pitched, with no attack, but go from note to note. thus the 303 could sound like one.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

23-02-2005 16:49 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

SVX Bass-amp Modeling

new Bass Amp moddleer.. now slayer will have no use at all. i can get my bass line from that. Big Grin

i love ik multimedia.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 23-02-2005 17:33.

23-02-2005 17:33 Homepage of Halph-Price
Hidden identity Hidden identity is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 17-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.21

@ muphusta
made anymore regee lately? any albums done?
whats new!?? send me PM its been too long!
muphusta is right, live and synth guitar always sound realy difforent. but i beleive that an insightful array of randomized factors can emulate live play and out-do it as far as warmth and depth of sound.
but thats complicated as hell to program :

@ thechronic,u wasnt off topic, he was right on!
for disc guitars amps and distorters are everything!
one thing i find so cool is the making of a pad or dis instrument witht he voice, if you could set up alot of
effects and suff, then some how imput through all the software effects then you can mess around and realize potential.
me going off topic to Frown ...

ROMpler's are sample librarys within a vst?
i think ROMplers are stupid cause it makes individual
sample file sharing during colaberation over the net way way harder! Mad

but a soundfront seamz best for guitar in electronic tracks.

hey freinds, does anyone here have a guitar soundfront that they could upload at micro-tech then post a link to, and have that file not be larger then 1.3mb? or somthing like that.
(oh and the "amped" sample cd from samplefusion.com, i got some guitar samples from there, they werent sound front but they were multiple chord samples, like all the keys, so that was good!

__
I'm trying to unfuck my sig.
23-02-2005 20:30
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Samoth
Daemon79, im also interested in making synths. I assume you're using c++, how do you go about modeling instruments? I've only got as far as the equations for various waveforms. Working on filters next... its quite a mission.

this is going to be a big one. (and a bit off-topic)

If you're looking for filters maybe better check
http://www.dspguide.com/ : a free book about DSP, FFT, FIR and IIR filters. It explains most of the things in a very easy language. (altough it does code in BASIC).
Check-out this plugin from smartelectronix.
http://jaha.smartelectronix.com/
It gives great insight in poles, zeros and the z-plane
And you can always check for open source code for filters at
http://www.musicdsp.org

Now about the modelling. I had the luck of doing my thesis for a guy who was doing his Phd about Physical modelling for string instruments and wind instruments. You can read his work on his site and listen to some audio examples.
http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~nackaert/

I'll try to explain the basics of PM (I'm copying a bit from the book "The computer music tutorial" by Curtis Roads also 'cause it's to hard for me to write everything out of my head)
A fundamental prunciple of PM is the interaction between an exciter (hit, stick, bow, pick, blow of air,...) and a resonator (body of the instrument. This interaction can be decoupled (like LPC-coding) and coupled (like air moving back to the reed in a clarinet).

The classical approach is to describe an instrument by it's physical dimensions and constants and then to excitate this model. You could search for the "mass-spring paradigm" if you want examples for this. You can built strings, drums, violin bodies,... with this paradigm.
Another approach is McIntyre, Schumacher and Woodhouse Synthesis (MSW). This type of synthesis is divided in to parts= a nonlineair excitation and lineair resonance. I have a nice example of a clarinet in this book but it's to long to write the whole thing down.
Next is waveguide synthesis. Were waves travel to block (can be digital delay lines, filters, scattering junctions, etc...).
And last you have the Karplus Strong Synthesis (used for drums and strings) basically its noise being looped thru some sort of filter. So you can simulate the transient-like sound of a drum or string moving into a constant tone.

These are the "official" Physical modelling synth techniques. The thing I do when building a synth is trying to imagine some sort of Physical system. and then making it move, vibrate or whatever. I dunno if you checked my "site" but you can download a vsti of me there. (I know the site will never win a design award but that's not what I built it for, don't go dissing on my GUI of the vsti however. I had lots of fun making that one).
The thing i do here is give the ball between the two plates some sort of mass, and an elasticity. I change the attraction between the ball and the plates each half of frequency. than the thing i do is to calculate for each sample it's acceleration (from the attraction) it's velocity (from the acceleration) and it's vertical position (from the velocity). The fun of this synth for me is can act quite unpredictable how it will sound (and that it is completely useless of course).

And yes I'm using C++. (vs.c++ that is, and Maple for calculating, and Sonar 4 for testing)
23-02-2005 23:37
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

I dunno bout technicalitites but whatever guitar synth they are using in that hospital recirds tune, "quite perfect" by CLS and Wax is the one for me!!!

I love that tune, bubbling if a bit cheesy but pure euphoria every time I hear it. No doubt the dark purist dnb headz that populate this place will dissaprove but lads . . . I dont care, that tune is heavy.

: rinse:
23-02-2005 23:52
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » best guitar synth ever?