drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » beat tabulation
Go to the bottom of this page beat tabulation
Author
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

Are there any sites out there that have detailed tabulation for drum and bass beats? Found one at a site called spinwarp which was recommended for something else, but the beat is pretty basic. I know how to make em, but i find it real difficult to achieve the kind of complexity that seems in abundance on the tunes on this site.

Any link or advice would majorly appreciated.

Ta.
07-02-2005 23:39
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

Was it this site? (Simon V)
http://www.simonv.com/music/tutorial/#3
08-02-2005 10:47
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Yeah, the Simon V tutor might help you out.

quote:
Originally posted by broadside
i find it real difficult to achieve the kind of complexity that seems in abundance on the tunes on this site.

The best tip I can give you: layer, layer, layer!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

08-02-2005 10:54 Homepage of Surya
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

and spend a tone of time on adjusting velocity - especially of the snare and ghosts - and use a variety of hat sounds and layer several snare sounds for your main snare. Otherwise, just have a loop going and try moving hits around over and over until you find something that sounds cool. And if you are good at playing drums on the keyboard, set your autoquantize on and to 1/16th, play several loops, cut out any cool sounding bits and then fine tune with your mouse. (assuming you are using a program with a key or beat editor window). Good luck man, you're tunes are coming along nicely!

P.S. Even though jungle was based upon layering of beats and the resulting syncopation, you need to be careful that the swing is not slightly different in the two loops or if you're really picky, make sure that no two bass drums (for example) are hitting at the same time since this doubling can give you erratic volume spikes and even an airplaning effect. Try looping a dancehall ragga beat with the original Winston's amen or any other break spead to 180bpm (with timestretching) and then copy the beat bar by bar (creating hitpoints in cubase can help line up where the bass and snares go) from scratch in the beat editor with your own sounds (midi) - very time consuming but its all yours.

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Nosrac: 08-02-2005 22:59.

08-02-2005 12:52 Homepage of Nosrac
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Even when using loops, layer!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

08-02-2005 14:15 Homepage of Surya
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

thats how you get the complex sound, 2 loops going at once with filters and stuff... or not, who knows, guess who!

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

08-02-2005 17:33 Homepage of Halph-Price
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

And if ur running outta ideas hit up your local music store and pick up a couple of lesson books for drummers. percussion sheet music is really really east to read and theres almost always a
key at the begining, to show you what the diifferent drum strikes are notationally.
Theres really only 4 or 5 basic drumstrikes, Bd sn hh tom crash ride.
If you choose wisely you'll find breaks,latin rhythms (merengue,conga) jazz beats,jazz breaks
snare and hi hat rythms/rolls and more within the same book.
The first one I ever picked was called 'Joel Rothmans "Basic Drumming"(revised edition).
About 190 pages of all kinds of beats and exercises for you to rewrite into your sequencer
twist,mash, and manipulate.
Woot

__
SAVE THE SL1200
27-04-2005 10:31
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

Lot of good advice there people - thanks a lot. Completely forgotten I'd even started the thread, so sorry for not replying sooner. Bigup

Actually, I have made a bit of progress since then, the main thing being resultant of the fact that I got hold of the Linplug RMIV - absolutely sick piece of gear - and discovered the drum map in Cubase! Makes it soooo much easier. The little things man. My Mistake

oh and that is a brilliant idea dmccabe, i can see that working really well. cheers mate. Drummer

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by broadside: 27-04-2005 15:03.

27-04-2005 14:55
@1$-)
unregistered
i dont know what software your using, but recycle isnt a bad place to start.
i know klute uses it, samples loops of old stuff and then uses the midi data to trigger new sounds.
27-04-2005 21:30
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » beat tabulation