drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Learn what you pay for !!!
Go to the bottom of this page Learn what you pay for !!!
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

Articles written by Bob Katz about digital and analoge audio . And learn why some software is verry expensive and some verry cheap .

Digital Domain

Greetings dirk .
24-01-2005 07:46
stino stino is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-237.gif

Registration Date: 13-07-2003

thanks dirk

__
www.myspace.com/stinomg
www.myspace.com/circlelogicband
24-01-2005 12:28 Homepage of stino
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

is it even talking about software, it's talking about digital mixers and analog mixers.

tubes have a better sound, it's warm and soft. nuff said. Bigup

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

24-01-2005 13:08 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

No, it's not about software, as far as I could tell from a first look...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

24-01-2005 13:31 Homepage of Surya
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

it does make a good point about the benfiets of using both analog and digital, although.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

24-01-2005 14:41 Homepage of Halph-Price
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Registration Date: 26-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

These article says that the best to do is to "mix" the thing that analog have best to offer with the best of digital, and you might get close to perfection if you don't want to spend millions on yours studio.......
and he's actually speaking about A/D converter as a crucial part of it.... no big news, but worthseeing; good stuff

__
Yesterday' s futur is today!! Doped

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tetsuo: 24-01-2005 19:23.

24-01-2005 19:22
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

You just can't expect that a 300 euro costing software package has the same quality as the "real" stuf .

Don't be so naive !!! If software developers realy think they got a product that is "state of the art" , they will charge accordingly .

Greetings Dirk .
24-01-2005 19:30
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by dirk
You just can't expect that a 300 euro costing software package has the same quality as the "real" stuf .

Don't be so naive !!! If software developers realy think they got a product that is "state of the art" , they will charge accordingly .

Greetings Dirk .

I don't think that is a cost worries....The only thing is that with soft they "emulate" sound and effects and stuff, which is a lot less expansive than actually building the shit......I've said it i another thread and will repeat it here: No matters how your soft is good, the main thing is the A/D converter that is in your soundcard, and trust me my friend, if u spend 800 euros on a good sound card, your sound will be as good as it came from hardware ( IMO of course.....), just need to check a lot more thing that if you were working with hardware, but it's about to equal it now (the article is from 2000 i suppose....)
Love, peace, sex and dnb Bigup

__
24-01-2005 19:51
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
I don't think that is a cost worries....The only thing is that with soft they "emulate" sound and effects and stuff, which is a lot less expansive than actually building the shit......I've said it i another thread and will repeat it here: No matters how your soft is good, the main thing is the A/D converter that is in your soundcard, and trust me my friend, if u spend 800 euros on a good sound card, your sound will be as good as it came from hardware ( IMO of course.....), just need to check a lot more thing that if you were working with hardware, but it's about to equal it now (the article is from 2000 i suppose....)

You must also read the articles about dither , jitter and the other ones .

Greetings dirk .
24-01-2005 20:03
peet
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

quote:
Originally posted by tetsuo
quote:
Originally posted by dirk

Greetings Dirk .

Love, peace, sex and dnb Bigup

yeh ofcourse youre fully right, but why bother getting a good A/D convertor if you're working 100% in software? the only output you'll need is a cd-burner right? and usually thats just audio files instead of audio tracks. on the latter you'll need a good A/D in your cd burner tho right?

__

24-01-2005 20:43 Homepage of peet
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Helpfulness rating: 

Didn't find them...
Thing is, I think it's a lot more hassle to get real good sound with softw than with hardw because the hard is settle that way ( pure analog), and i'm just speaking about the basic sound source. In hard, because of the composent, signal is not that precise because of "cheaps transistors" that can't hold a straight signal.....And the result is that there is more warmth to the sound due to this little distortion. Once again, with a good soundcard with seperates outputs and a good mix table, you'll nearlly reach the same result if you use a soft that emulate analog output ( tubes and stuff...)
Imho of course, learn every day

__
24-01-2005 20:46
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by peet

yeh ofcourse youre fully right, but why bother getting a good A/D convertor if you're working 100% in software? the only output you'll need is a cd-burner right? and usually thats just audio files instead of audio tracks. on the latter you'll need a good A/D in your cd burner tho right?

I m not sure, but even if you're working with soft, you already works with a A/D conv, which is in you'sound card, unless you got analog speakers....

__
24-01-2005 20:49
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

I'll try to explain ( same numbers as in website )

If you divide a number by 2 eg. 1.51 you get 0.775 . You have gained a extra decimal place ! Bad digital audio ignores this and good digital audio not .

Everytime you cange a signal , the system makes multiple calculations . If you ignore roundup errors ( Bad digital audio ) these can become verry significant . This has nothing to do with AD/DA-convertors .

Greetings Dirk .
24-01-2005 23:03
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

for vocal or instrumental recordings, they do suggest getting a ... band strip?, or whatever, basicly a tube, that's what makes the differenace. the little lightbulbs. and Audio cards don't have them. i am not even sure what the hell a tube is frankly. but it warms the sound accordingly.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

23-02-2005 18:58 Homepage of Halph-Price
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

What's the date of the artiicle?
I see something like "revised and updated from an editorial counterpoint which appeared in Pro Sound News, January 1997." But a lot has changed in the digital world since that date.

I mean you can get a 24/96 soundcard for less than ¤100 these days.
23-02-2005 21:14
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

It is an old article but I think it is still very informative .

Digial is digital and when its digital you can't loose signals is a completely wrong assumption .

I will try to explain :
Take 5 divide it by 2 than multiply the result by 2 and in the perfect world you get 5 as result . (5/2)*2=5

But if you do the same calculation on a digital system things can go wrong . The same calculation can have 4 as result if you forget the 0.5

Multipling two 16 bit numbers can result in 32 bit numbers or more . ( Distortion is multipling with the same signal and than adding it back )

So good digital audio should have high bit depth and that costs computer power .

Software designers have the choice between soundquality and amount of gadgeds they put in . Or in other words , they are designing mostly for professionals or for consumers .

In my view software like reason or fruittyloops is designed for consumers and if you use these kinds of software as soundsource for your productions you lack professional attitude .

These software packets are ofcause extremely good compositional tools and thats how The Prodigy for instance uses it .

Greetings Dirk .
24-02-2005 19:42
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

float = 32bit
double = 64bit
long double = 80 bit
Not really costly in computer power (depends on what computer you are using of course) for multiplying signals these days.
Fruity is a cheap program because it's a small group of people working on it and they don't do the apple platform. (Don't know how the situation is with reason) but i agree that it's not what professionals will use. Using more bits for your calculations is not making your sofware more expensive. You will need a faster computer of course but I think you'll agree that computers have changed quite a bit since 1997.

It's a good article though if you want to know what makes a good digital design. but old

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Daemon79: 24-02-2005 22:29.

24-02-2005 21:50
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

actualy the generators in fruity work better than the VST's. they are renderd in a high quality, and sound completely differnet than, much better, than the original sound you're playing with. it saves memory, and still sounds great.

but the article talks about a/d converter or whatever, and thats only for recording, because soundcards lose information. so you get a tube pre-amp, or whatever, and you've got it fixed up. that's the gist of it. not even about the quality of digital shtuff.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 25-02-2005 04:15.

25-02-2005 03:44 Homepage of Halph-Price
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
actualy the generators in fruity work better than the VST's. they are renderd in a high quality, and sound completely differnet than, much better, than the original sound you're playing with. it saves memory, and still sounds great.

Does this mean that fruityloops sound better than the real thing ? Cause I hear only utter crapp comming from FL and it sounds like bad mp3 files to me . But I have only FL3 does this sound the same as FL5 ?

This was my opinion of these programs so far but I will check your claim and let you know what I think after the test .

Maybe you will find this interesting reading .Paul Frindle from Sony Oxford .

Greetings Dirk .
25-02-2005 05:30
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

The article dates from 1996 and is about the fact that project studios at the time were typically built around cheap 8-track ADATs or DA-88 recorders with Yamaha digital desks.

Still the things he points out are completely true up to this date.

Good digital gear costs a fortune. Studios spend ¤40000 on high end digital Protools HD converters and then they end up spending ¤1500 more on a digital master clock because they are not satisfied with the quality. Why? They are used to listening to analog, and are striving to match the quality of analog.

A simple high quality stereo converter such as the Apogee Rosetta 200 costs nearly ¤2000, but you can safely say that that sounds as good as analog and has a better signal to noise ratio.

But a 24-bit / 96kHz soundcard for less than ¤100? Will probably sound horrible and edgy compared to analog, as pointed out in the article:
quote:
Edgy sound can be caused by many factors: sharp filters, poor conversion technology, low resolution (short wordlength), poor analog stages, jitter, improper dither, clock leakage in analog stages due to bad circuit board design and many others.

Even in 2005 a cheap soundcard will suffer from these problems, the manufacturers are not aiming for sound quality but for a target price.

The article is dated in the way that he suggests going back to analog recorders. I wouldn't suggest that anymore today, but I would suggest in investing in high quality digital converters. If you want to buy a new sound card, spend some money on it, your music depends on it!

You don't need to spend ¤2000 on a sound card ofcourse, but check out the lower end of the professional range (such as RME Digi96/8 PAD) and definitely get away from Audigy's and on-board sound cards!

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
25-02-2005 09:22 Homepage of thechronic
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Learn what you pay for !!!