drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Learn what you pay for !!!
Go to the bottom of this page Learn what you pay for !!!
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

I was referring to the Audiophjile PCI. It will probably not have the best conversion technology, and analog stages but other things like the filter (should be less sharp due to higher samplerate), and the resolution should be higher too.
I just took this example to proof thingd has changed since 1996.

That RME Digi96/8 PAD seems to range between ¤300 and ¤400 euros, doesn't sound too expensive to me. (btw i was never ever planning to buy an Audigy's soundcard)
quote:

Good digital gear costs a fortune. Studios spend ¤40000 on high end digital Protools HD converters and then they end up spending ¤1500 more on a digital master clock because they are not satisfied with the quality. Why? They are used to listening to analog, and are striving to match the quality of analog.

In my opinion they should focue on striving to match the quality of the real instruments not on the analog sound.
quote:

The article is dated in the way that he suggests going back to analog recorders. I wouldn't suggest that anymore today, but I would suggest in investing in high quality digital converters. If you want to buy a new sound card, spend some money on it, your music depends on it!

I think we'll both agree on this point.

btw: I'll see you're a audio engineer from Hasselt. You don't happen to work in the Galaxy Studios do you?)
25-02-2005 14:19
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by Daemon79
In my opinion they should focue on striving to match the quality of the real instruments not on the analog sound.

What does a real reece sound like Wink Big Grin

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

25-02-2005 19:03 Homepage of Surya
dirk
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

quote:

In the old day's when analoge synthesizers where still young , people where disapointed with the sound these instuments made because they did not sound like real acoustic instruments . It took a while before people realized that was a rather limmited viewpoint . And that trying to copy a sound that already exist is a bit useless . You have to make , with new techniques , sounds that people have never heard before .

Now most software designers want to copy the sound of the old synths and at best they can equal the soundquality of these old things .
Take for instance the Focusrite Liquid Channel ( Great piece of kit though , its on my xmas list ) it copy's the sound of great old micpre's and compressors . So it has the same soundquality as 30-40 year old stuff , why not try to make equipment that is actualy better than the old stuf . Or am I asking an imposible thing here ?

And after testing FL I'm afraid I have to say that : It sounded even more horrible than I remember .

Greetings Dirk .
28-02-2005 16:42
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:
Originally posted by Daemon79

What does a real reece sound like Wink Big Grin

goood one Bigup

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

28-02-2005 17:06 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by dirk
In the old day's when analoge synthesizers where still young , people where disapointed with the sound these instuments made because they did not sound like real acoustic instruments . It took a while before people realized that was a rather limmited viewpoint . And that trying to copy a sound that already exist is a bit useless . You have to make , with new techniques , sounds that people have never heard before .

Now most software designers want to copy the sound of the old synths and at best they can equal the soundquality of these old things .
Take for instance the Focusrite Liquid Channel ( Great piece of kit though , its on my xmas list ) it copy's the sound of great old micpre's and compressors . So it has the same soundquality as 30-40 year old stuff , why not try to make equipment that is actualy better than the old stuf . Or am I asking an imposible thing here ?

You can have the best plugins on the planet but without good A/D/A converters it will still sound bad, that's what the article is about.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
28-02-2005 17:18 Homepage of thechronic
dirk
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

quote:
You can have the best plugins on the planet but without good A/D/A converters it will still sound bad, that's what the article is about.

Yes , we are getting of topic

Greetings Dirk .
28-02-2005 17:28
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Registration Date: 26-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

quote:
quote:

Yes , we are getting of topic

Greetings Dirk .

Not that much imo, there is such convertor in both hware and sware. Once u emulate analog signal on a pc, just get a good soundcard ( the convertor is in it) and it will sound "nearlly" as good as a synth, that's imo of course!! Smile

__
Yesterday' s futur is today!! Doped
28-02-2005 18:43
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

quote:

In the old day's when analoge synthesizers where still young , people where disapointed with the sound these instuments made because they did not sound like real acoustic instruments . It took a while before people realized that was a rather limmited viewpoint . And that trying to copy a sound that already exist is a bit useless . You have to make , with new techniques , sounds that people have never heard before.

True, but you could still make a difference between a sound that sounds alive and a sound that sounds dead. If you just play a saw, square or sine it will not sound very interesting. You have to add ADSR, LFO, a detuned signal (like a reece Wink ) to make it sound more natural to our ears, just because sounds of real acoustic instruments (or maybe real acoustic generated sound in general) has timbre that is evolving thru time. I think softsynths can do a whole lot more than their analog brothers if the designers would just stop trying to copy of old synts.

quote:

And after testing FL I'm afraid I have to say that : It sounded even more horrible than I remember .

Well some people prefer the character of old preamps and compressors, because of its analog warmth and fatness and stuff. In my opinion when you record a sound the result should sound as much as the original one and not with added warmth and stuff. However if you're using these things as effects (like lotus with her analog compression) I have nothing to say. I think some analog effects are still not completely understood buy engineers so. It's quite impossible then to make these effects in software then.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Daemon79: 01-03-2005 13:31.

01-03-2005 13:31
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Learn what you pay for !!!