Go to the bottom of this page Yamaha New Singing synth
Author
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

http://www.zero-g.co.uk/media/mp3/kimi_no_uwasa.mp3

Beleive it or not, but this is not human, it's a synthesiser!!!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-04-2003 23:10 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Impressive!! Still sounds like it has been severely autotuned and a bit vocoded. Much better than the speech synthesizers I have heard up to now.

Any idea which synth it is?

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
09-05-2003 18:31 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Nope, I know they've done 10 years reseach for it! Don't know if it's in production yet either. Been looking around on their sites, but haven't found a thing Frown

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

09-05-2003 18:59 Homepage of Surya
zzero zzero is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 26-05-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:

New Yamaha VOCALOID Singing Synthesis Software Generates Superb Vocals On A PC

Yamaha Corporation has developed new software that allows song writers to generate authentic-sounding singing on their PCs by simply inputting the words and notes of their compositions.

Named VOCALOID, the software synthesizes the sound from "vocal libraries" of recordings of actual singers, retaining the vocal qualities of the original singing voices to reproduce real-sounding vocals.

"The software also features simple commands enabling users to add expressive effects," says Yamaha Corp Managing Director and Chief Technical Officer Masatada Wachi, "and as VOCALOID runs on Windows-based PCs, we hope that amateur enthusiasts as well as professionals will enjoy creating music with great-sounding vocals."

Yamaha will unveil and exhibit its new VOCALOID software at the Musikmesse slated for March 5-9 in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, and the 114th Audio Engineering Society (AES) Convention scheduled for March 22-25 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

VOCALOID vocal-synthesizing software overcomes a major hurdle composers have faced until now due to the limitations that technology has placed on their ability to freely create songs incorporating singing.

The development of a full complement of MIDI peripherals--notably those that are XG format compatible--permits the production of high-quality music on a PC or other low-priced equipment, and many music industry professionals are producing CDs of music created with just such computer systems.

Problems have arisen for composers, however, because existing technology prevented them from achieving the same success when their compositions involved vocals. Though systems and software that synthesize singing voices exist, the work entailed in making them sound real was complicated and onerous. Even after much fine-tuning, synthesizing vocals to be indistinguishable to listeners from real singing was still virtually impossible.

The popularization of sound samplers containing a wide range of prerecorded sounds has led some producers to try creating music with vocals using samples of prerecorded human-voice snippets. But since this method's range of words and vocal expressions is very limited, it too leaves much to be desired.

Yamaha's newly-developed vocal-synthesizing VOCALOID software changes all this.

By just inputting the melody and words on their PCs, users can produce the vocal parts for their pieces with no further work. The synthesized sound retains the vocal qualities of the original singers' voices because VOCALOID synthesizes the sound from "vocal libraries" of recordings of real people singing. The software also features simple commands that allow users to add expressive effects--such as vibrato and pitch bends--to their synthesized vocals.

Further development of the range of available vocal libraries will make the production of songs using vocals in a wide range of voice qualities possible using VOCALOID. Currently, VOCALOID can generate singing in Japanese and English.

Yamaha intends to concentrate on licensing VOCALOID to selected producers of vocal libraries and software marketers. The company has already agreed on the basic framework of a license agreement with a number of sampling-CD development and marketing firms, including Crypton Future Media, Inc. in Japan; Best Service in Germany; and Zero-G Limited in the UK.

Yamaha hopes to commercialize VOCALOID by the end of 2003 or early in 2004.

VOCALOID uses Frequency-Domain Singing Articulation Splicing and Shaping, a vocal (singing-voice) synthesizing system developed by Yamaha.

With this system, the "singing articulations" (collections of voice snippets, such as of phrases, and snippets of vocal expression variations like vibrato) needed to reproduce vocals are collected from custom-produced recordings of accomplished singers and put into a database after conversion into frequency domains.

To synthesize vocal parts, the system retrieves data consisting of voice snippets, applies pitch conversion, and splices and shapes them to form the words of a song as input by the user. As this processing is done at the frequency-domain level, pitch can be easily changed according to the specified melody, and the voice snippets can be spliced in a way that reproduces smooth-flowing words.

VOCALOID itself consists of a score editor, which does the scale, song-word, and expression processing; the Vocal Sound Generator, the engine that synthesizes the vocals; and libraries (each comprised of a pronunciation database and a timbre database) for each vocal. New vocal libraries can be created by recording real voices pronouncing basic vocabulary and reproducing variation effects (such as vibrato) according to templates.

some more previews of it on -> http://www.global.yamaha.com/news/20030304b.html

btw Hi Tongue

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by zzero: 26-05-2003 23:26.

26-05-2003 23:23
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

This is going to be such a fun toy Big Grin
Can't wait to have it

PS Yo Zzero!!!! Bigup

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
27-05-2003 00:05 Homepage of thechronic
worm
Producer

Registration Date: 07-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Impressive!! Still sounds like it has been severely autotuned and a bit vocoded. Much better than the speech synthesizers I have heard up to now.

Any idea which synth it is?

i agree but WOW!!!!! im serious worried where music is going in the next 10 years.

__
-worm
d p r e c o r d i n g s . c o m
08-07-2003 02:17 Homepage of worm
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by worm
im serious worried where music is going in the next 10 years.

I don't think there's anything to be worried about. I think most people will use it just as a toy to play with, not as a replacement for singers, just like actors won't be replaced by CG-models...

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

08-07-2003 12:24 Homepage of Surya
worm
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:

I don't think there's anything to be worried about. I think most people will use it just as a toy to play with, not as a replacement for singers, just like actors won't be replaced by CG-models...

good point but they said back in the 80's computers would never go anywhere in music production; and just look at it now.

__
-worm
09-07-2003 22:13 Homepage of worm
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:

good point but they said back in the 80's computers would never go anywhere in music production; and just look at it now.

Yeah, but they were talking more about letting the computer make the computer, than using it as a tool if I'm not mistaken. Doesn't really matter anyway Tongue

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

10-07-2003 00:43 Homepage of Surya
worm
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

surya; tisk tisk and your a user of 'buzz'; that's a perfect example of the computer literally making music. another example would be any vsti and heck even reason; you dont even need a controller

__
-worm

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by worm: 13-07-2003 10:07.

13-07-2003 10:05 Homepage of worm
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
surya; tisk tisk and your a user of 'buzz'; that's a perfect example of the computer literally making music. another example would be any vsti and heck even reason; you dont even need a controller

Hmm, not imo. What you're saying here is the computer making sounds, and me making music with those sounds. The computer doesn't come up with the arrangements or melodies, and THAT's what music is about, no? Tongue

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

13-07-2003 11:43 Homepage of Surya
worm
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

i see what your saying; i was just looking at it from a different angle

__
-worm
13-07-2003 18:52 Homepage of worm
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

I know, I should have made myself more clear from the first time Smile

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

13-07-2003 19:46 Homepage of Surya
Dj-M@R10
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-94.gif

Registration Date: 12-08-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 1.00

0Y€

here is a talking robot made in belgium i use quite often:

http://www.lhsl.com/realspeak/demo/text.asp

a possible solution how music is gona be in 50 years is very simple;

there will be musicians, performing or producing.

if there is no need anymore for producers or musicians, music will be free.

but somewhere, there is allways gonna be someone trying to catch music.

imagine record labels don't need singers or producers anymore, because they can synthesize it even the vocals.
wel those labels become singers or musicians theirselves, to be able to compete against the others, so ?

there we are, music ALLWAYS wins, but don't see it like a competition, but by an art of life.

does it really matters if a tune scores a hit in the charts?
05-09-2003 01:46
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Dj-M@R10
0Yý

here is a talking robot made in belgium i use quite often:

http://www.lhsl.com/realspeak/demo/text.asp

Yeah, but thisone is based on recorded voice samples. The Yamaha is 100% synthetic, as far as I know.

Anyway, music will always win, yeah Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

05-09-2003 06:55 Homepage of Surya
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Yamaha New Singing synth