drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » equiptment costs
Go to the bottom of this page equiptment costs
Author

Registration Date: 18-01-2005

hi ppl!
as everyone knows producing is a very expensive hoby but if you get signed do record labels pay for more equiptment to improve your sound or is it all down to the producuer?? i need to know this information to help with an assesment for college and would be sooo grateful if someone cud help me with it, than q
sketchy
18-01-2005 00:43
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by sketchy
hi ppl!
as everyone knows producing is a very expensive hoby but if you get signed do record labels pay for more equiptment to improve your sound or is it all down to the producuer?? i need to know this information to help with an assesment for college and would be sooo grateful if someone cud help me with it, than q
sketchy

since none of us are signed i really dont know that we would know the answer...but iw ould be my assumption that you use your own...i mean not everyone that has singles to a lael are in the area of the labels location...so i assume you suse your own and send the finished products to be pressed...but im not 100% on this... Bigup

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

18-01-2005 00:49
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

they give you what's called an advance. the better you are the more they give you.

now this is not free money, you infact have to pay them back the entire money, only 5% or so of all stars actully mkae enough to pay it off with profit. It's more like a loan. it does allow you to buy good equipment and everything, although.

now, since the advance seems so great most people don't really think aobut it but, they havn't actual made money, but instead have come into debt.

the benfit of being signed is there producers or avalible studio time, but you pay for all of these also.

so really being signed YOU PAY THEM THAT MONEY.

this is for the major lable.s fuck if i know about indies. i don't tihnk they can gi e you an advnace as mcuh so . . . .

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 18-01-2005 00:54.

18-01-2005 00:53 Homepage of Halph-Price
thefunke1
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-634.jpg

Registration Date: 09-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.67

I would assume that being signed by a label, as in any other business, come down to your contract. Therefore what is negociated in the terms and conditions of the agreement, would dictate what you are asking in regardes to equipment being paid for etc.. Being signed, you would be more or less in the lower barganing position, therefore you would probably sign any contract offered, so you would recieve a royalty based on sales, or some form of advance payment.... possibly, although this would be risk assemsment on the part of the label, and therefore, they would want too see how your tune is recieved, and would probably work on an up front payment, plus royalties, or one or the other. As you receive more status within the industry, you gain greater power to negociate, and in turn reap the rewards..... it all comes down to learning business, and contracts.

__
www.acidplanet.comAfro
22-01-2005 01:41 Homepage of thefunke1
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

you gain money for records sold and play on the radio, and that's where the negoiations come in mostly is radio royalties. with more popularity you can charge more, there's a maximum amout for per minute, and then a base price if it's under a certin amount of time. most starting bands won't even charge half, which is about 12% i tihnk, maybe like 15%. A band like metallica charges full and for a 7 minute song there really raking in dough.
cd's themself are not expensive when mass produced.

i am not entirly sure of numbers it was all in a book ir ead called A Creative Career in Music.

it coverd all the aspects of it. working for a label is a big risk for label, and for yourself.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

22-01-2005 05:03 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » equiptment costs