drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Dj ---> Producer
Go to the bottom of this page Dj ---> Producer 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by peet
quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
like diesleboy, he does both, and he's a major artist. He's good at both, because there is transferable skills. and if you study anything enough, you can create it much better, whether poetry, cars, or DRUM & BASS!

Dieselboy hasn't even released one track of his own, it's all remixes with Kaos, he's definitely mainly a dj.

this isnt true... invid, and teh decent were 2 tracks that were total killers when the 6xtyh sessoin came out...

Being a DJ and knowing your music will in time make you a better producer...i dare say that 90%of the producers on this site dont have a clue what theyre doing because they dont DJ or dont knwo the music...they dont knwo the measures of basic structures of tracks..Its all relative really... anyone can laydown a break at 180 bpm and say "oo its dnb" but i garuntee 90% of the time it will sound like complete ass and youll never go anywhere with it... those are jsut the facts...IN FACT being a DJ will take you almost no where...especially for me causae i live in teh US and there is rarely any opportunity in my area..but like i said its all relative...if you have been djing for awhile you know what sounds good, you knwo what will be pressed, you know the proper progressions...but since the scene and music has grown so quick...its hard for a lot of people to keep up...especially when it comes to money issues...not everyone can afford expensive software or hardware which intime limits that average persons capabilities and does nothing but drag them behind the status of those who are rising...i guess there is no real answer to the question...its good to be a dj...its great to be a dj...its fun and etc...but if anyone wants to go anywhere in this scene which 90% of us wont, they know that producing comes first...then dj'ing...its jsut how it is...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

27-04-2005 17:17
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

consider that the dj's existed solely for the purpose of playing music. playing=not performing. theyre performing the act of dj-ing. the profession started in radio studios. and he had to have a soothing voice as a requirement Big Grin . he played exclusively music made by instruments with the use of electronics just for fx purposes

things changed, bands playing live music got an adversary in the form of a dj who plays tracks via records using gramophones/turntables.

you can play those tracks for yourself at home and enjoy them just as well.

BUT

the dj's there to make things interesting - pick up the crowd - chill it out etc. he is the LEADER of a good party. he creates the atmosphere using the soundscapes which producers made through their tracks.

having that knowlege it is easier for him to produce, as had been said here before.

totally agree with:

halphprice: transferable skills
surya: listening to the sets when you go to parties
surrora23: Being a DJ and knowing your music

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
27-04-2005 18:00 Homepage of cynik
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23

this isnt true... invid, and teh decent were 2 tracks that were total killers when the 6xtyh sessoin came out...

I'd just like to point out that if you look at the invid vinyl you'll see that its actually co-produced with Mark Caro aka Technical Itch......
27-04-2005 18:26
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by spudleyq
*shudders*

don't get me started with those fuckers.......I don't understand how they could sell their talent like that......those people get no recognition whatsoever for their productions.......it's disgusting.

(i'm talking about the people who actually make the tracks for all those people)

you mean people who produce for usher and such? why would that be bad. the quality of pop tunes has totally risen so fast the last 10 years thanks to a new breed of producers who stopped trying out new stuff and the popularity of hiphop has also pushed this, it brought a new fresh breath of air in to pop.

in detail i'm talking about the people who nowadays produce the stuff for britney spears and some others. the sound is totally amazing.

it's so logical to diss britney spears but i have no idea why people do it. she can sing. she can act in her role as a star. have you seen her in real life? she's pretty fuckin ugly. that's why i think it's so cool. they totally transform her. it's just a role she's playing. that's what i admire.

and again her latest stuff just sounds great.

people in 2030 will prolly tihnk the same bout here as about madonna.

Totally agree. Britney Spears music is very well produced. In fact most of the producers of her stuff are frome sweden, where I come from. Hahahahaha!
And very well-arranged to. Amazing. I don't like to lissen to the music so much, but It's very well done.

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
27-04-2005 19:35 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

The writers producers and arrangers for big name artist may not get much recognition, but they
still BANK, recieve awards, and don't have to put up with daily crap, like trespassing psychos.

__
SAVE THE SL1200
27-04-2005 22:55
@1$-)
unregistered
yeh but they suck cock.
its kind of the reason hip hop is now nothing but a bunch of commercial shit, i miss public enemy, at least they had something to say. 50 cent, britney, even dre and eminem, and even missy e, just a big load of commercial bollocks thought up by a group of marketing men in an office.
and their not really pushing things forward, why would they????? their not going to take a risk.they make to much dollar from it.
27-04-2005 23:03
surfag

Registration Date: 28-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 1.00

quote:
Originally posted by ultradark
quote:
Originally posted by Abnormalbrain
Totally agree. Britney Spears music is very well produced. In fact most of the producers of her stuff are frome sweden, where I come from. Hahahahaha!
And very well-arranged to. Amazing. I don't like to lissen to the music so much, but It's very well done.

blah, shut the f**k up, i have her last album, i bought it in the f*****ing cd shop and i can tell it's not well produced, the truth is the producers who make music for other people and not for themselves as artists don't give a f***k if it's good produced or not, they just care that they will get paid and that britney will be happy with a few catchy melodies and her vocal.

for fuck sake first think before you post lame fuck. why would there only be a handful of producers writing arrangements for top artists like Britney Spears if it doesn't matter if it's good produced or not. there's a big DIFFERENCE between lliking a music piece and appreciating the productional quality of a music piece. how can you even criticize the production of top producers when your productional sound totally sucks at this moment? learn to fucking adore these persons and see the talent. lame fuck.
28-04-2005 00:30
surfag

Registration Date: 28-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 1.00

and yes we all know it, your music absolutely sucks. we were too nice to say it to you out loud. ffs
28-04-2005 00:32
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

"Losers" or not you can bet your ass that these people have spent years educating and training
themseleves. Otherwise these huge labels wouldn't allow them within ten feet of A Britainy recoord. And most of us wouldn't even be allowed in the building. Sure these "losers"
may not be the best or they may not be pushing the envelope but BIG time rec execs and "stars"
trust thier education in the science of making hit records. And not that I listen to her, but britiany sat in the "producers" seat on this last album. I can't really give her credit though 'coz
the list of credits on it reads like a major moition picture. There are seriously like 60 + names
of people who help create the newest pop/crap wonder. And I'm sure that all of them know their
craft.
And THEY are the ones laughing out loud all they way to the bank and thier beautiful(paid for)
homes

__
SAVE THE SL1200

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dmccabe: 28-04-2005 04:07.

28-04-2005 03:59
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
yeh but they suck cock.
its kind of the reason hip hop is now nothing but a bunch of commercial shit, i miss public enemy, at least they had something to say. 50 cent, britney, even dre and eminem, and even missy e, just a big load of commercial bollocks thought up by a group of marketing men in an office.
and their not really pushing things forward, why would they????? their not going to take a risk.they make to much dollar from it.

It also depends on were you look for hip hop. Jurassic 5/dilated peoples/5th word/rza you can still find real hip hop. Its just usually not sitting on the shelf at wal-mart next to hip whore, hip hops dirty money grubbing little sister.

__
SAVE THE SL1200

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dmccabe: 28-04-2005 04:28.

28-04-2005 04:27
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

Sad but I can't really argue that last point Ultradark. But 808 & 909s were being used on 80s pop trash records (think Devo)

__
SAVE THE SL1200

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dmccabe: 28-04-2005 04:33.

28-04-2005 04:32
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

Would you say that about Depeche Mode? (Not a slam just honestly curious)

__
SAVE THE SL1200
28-04-2005 04:57
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by surfag
for fuck sake first think before you post lame fuck. why would there only be a handful of producers writing arrangements for top artists like Britney Spears if it doesn't matter if it's good produced or not. there's a big DIFFERENCE between lliking a music piece and appreciating the productional quality of a music piece. how can you even criticize the production of top producers when your productional sound totally sucks at this moment? learn to fucking adore these persons and see the talent. lame fuck.

Erm, please don't go flaming.

And some top A-list productions ARE done badly, others are done very well...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-04-2005 07:11 Homepage of Surya
potatohead potatohead is a male

images/avatars/avatar-824.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

quote:
Originally posted by dmccabe
The writers producers and arrangers for big name artist may not get much recognition, but they
still BANK, recieve awards, and don't have to put up with daily crap, like trespassing psychos.

actually it is usually the artists (i.e. britney sprears and others) that bank and receive awards and shit. You don't ever see britney's producer walking away with a grammy or MTV award of anykind. Think about it. name those people. you can't do it. cause they are unknown for the most part. and they deserve all the rewards of the music not the no-talent assholes.

__
F.R.I.T.
Jungle Bums
www.ROCDNB.com
28-04-2005 18:21
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Finally, to leave my oppinion on this theme.

I think that DJng for producing is not a MUST but it can sure help a lot if you want your tunes to be realeased. I mean, all the DJs know the tune structures VERY WELL, and they know what works for the masses, so if a DJ has producing qualities he can make awesome tune... by a SPECIFIC PATTERN.

Which SUX! Noo Puke

Music without experimenting sux. Even Bethoven experimented, damn it. The first people experimented by hiting their killing club into a piece of wood or an animal skin, and that's how the drums came out...

PLUS, if you are a DJ, a lot less time goes to producing. Anyway, being a DJ is more promising, more paid, so why should you stay whole night setting that snaredrum, when you can spin records and earn cash?

About the CD DJ equipment - IT RULEZ! You can play your music that you burned on CD just before the event, the listeners can't notice any difference (except there is no vinyl sparks and errors in play) and - no NOISE!

I think that's the future. DJing is just too expensive, and if you wait for your tune to be released on vinyl, you will wait...and wait....and wait....and wait...and wait...and wait... ( <- I emulated a vinyl with error) Big Grin

Enjoy ThY LiFe

-Muad'Dib

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
29-04-2005 09:58 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Surora23 Surora23 is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by crushfuck
quote:
Originally posted by Surora23

I'd just like to point out that if you look at the invid vinyl you'll see that its actually co-produced with Mark Caro aka Technical Itch......

as are most tracks IF YOU LOOK closely...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

29-04-2005 23:09
Surora23 Surora23 is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by muaddib
Finally, to leave my oppinion on this theme.

I think that DJng for producing is not a MUST but it can sure help a lot if you want your tunes to be realeased. I mean, all the DJs know the tune structures VERY WELL, and they know what works for the masses, so if a DJ has producing qualities he can make awesome tune... by a SPECIFIC PATTERN.

Which SUX! Noo Puke

Music without experimenting sux. Even Bethoven experimented, damn it. The first people experimented by hiting their killing club into a piece of wood or an animal skin, and that's how the drums came out...

PLUS, if you are a DJ, a lot less time goes to producing. Anyway, being a DJ is more promising, more paid, so why should you stay whole night setting that snaredrum, when you can spin records and earn cash?

About the CD DJ equipment - IT RULEZ! You can play your music that you burned on CD just before the event, the listeners can't notice any difference (except there is no vinyl sparks and errors in play) and - no NOISE!

I think that's the future. DJing is just too expensive, and if you wait for your tune to be released on vinyl, you will wait...and wait....and wait....and wait...and wait...and wait... ( <- I emulated a vinyl with error) Big Grin

Enjoy ThY LiFe

-Muad'Dib

good point...but...i woudlnt say if youre a dj youre going to go farther...anyone and most everyone who knows the scene will tell you...Produce first...then DJ...a label (which is whats gonna take you anywhere) isnt going to listen to your mix cd because there are THOUSANDS of people out there you can mix JUST as good as dsl, goldie, john b, etc...IF ANYONE wants to get anywhere with dnb in the music industry you have to producer...DJing is jsut a perk along side that helps...

Ive been a dj for 3 yrs now...hardly gotten paid anything.,...maybe 100$ over the entire 3 yrs...and ive only been producing for a little under a year now... and i dont want to boast because MY MUSIC still needs an assload of work...and its really nothing to brag about...however...there are artists still registered to this site WAY before me, and i can honestly say ive made much better progress than them...because of the fact i dj? and why...because of track structures and etc... thats all really... id be willing ot bet...that a decent dj will end being able to produce a better tune in less time tahn someone who doesnt knwo the music and is just trying to produce it...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

29-04-2005 23:17
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

yea, it's like being a writer and reading lots of books. if you study a lot of examples, you can further enhance your own understanding of what the final product should be, anyone can understand that!

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 30-04-2005 00:14.

30-04-2005 00:14 Homepage of Halph-Price
Sykotic
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 12-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

I wanted to comment, but decided not to...its all been said and done. I have been a musician my whole life. I have been playing guitar for ever. I got into producing electronic music just for fun using guitar pedals, toy keboards, outdated drum machines, and a 4 track tape recorder. (we're talking back in '97,'9Cool . Making hardcore, hip hop, trip hop, etc. just to occupy my mind. Producing music is all about what it does for you. If it comes from the soul, people will feel it. Sometimes nothing is more liberating than picking up a drum and beating the hell out of it.

__

13-05-2005 02:17
Nasty&Twisted Nasty&Twisted is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1124.jpg

Registration Date: 21-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

quote:
This is a great thread to drop my own opinion about this totally annoying occurence.

I really hate it. People who dj, and then they're like 'Yeah I should better start producing cause it's the next step'. Oh damn no. I can vomit over those people man. Produce if you WANT to produce, not to get ahead in whatever youre wanting to go ahead in. Producing is MAKING music. DJing is PLAYING music. BIG difference.

I have never understood the reasoning of DJs and I've learn to shut up about it and not start discussions cause I always get lots of people on my ass for doing so. The thing is. DJing is imho just publishing a book of favourite poems in a nice classy lay-out. Producing is writing poems. I can't believe that nobody sees that DJs are in a way totally missing out and don't even have so much of a real reason to exist except for that the 'poets' need them.

You can be creative as a dj too, even just through mixing, creative mixing if you will, just listen to an Andy C set, his sets are usually more than just the sum of the tracks through the way he mixes them. Or go listen to a true turntablist, what some of these guys can do is amazing, takes a hell of a lot of practise and skill. If you think what a dj does isn't anything more than playing music you haven't seen the right dj's.
13-05-2005 11:14
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Dj ---> Producer