drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Dj ---> Producer
Go to the bottom of this page Dj ---> Producer 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 31-10-2003

Do you have to have been a DJ to become a better producer? If so, how much is it easier to produce if u know how to mix dnbrecords?
Cheers
14-01-2005 18:24
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

I was a producer for like 7 years before I even started mixing.....so I'd say that your ability to DJ has nothing whatsoever to do with your ability to produce.

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
14-01-2005 18:33 Homepage of spudleyq
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

really makes no difference...although it is preffered that you are a dj that spins your own stuff...

B said something along the lines of the typical occurances are that there are Good prodicers who can dj or Dj's who cant produce.... Smile

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

14-01-2005 18:35
Retroshift
Steppa

Well yeah, but it costs alot of money to put your own track on vinyl no?
14-01-2005 18:43

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Retroshift

it does. but thats kind of the point of cd turntables now...its a lot cheaper...but if youre from the us and get it pressed in the us it will cost around 70$, if you buy form the uk,. itll; cost around 120$ !

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

14-01-2005 18:47
peet
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

This is a great thread to drop my own opinion about this totally annoying occurence.

I really hate it. People who dj, and then they're like 'Yeah I should better start producing cause it's the next step'. Oh damn no. I can vomit over those people man. Produce if you WANT to produce, not to get ahead in whatever youre wanting to go ahead in. Producing is MAKING music. DJing is PLAYING music. BIG difference.

I have never understood the reasoning of DJs and I've learn to shut up about it and not start discussions cause I always get lots of people on my ass for doing so. The thing is. DJing is imho just publishing a book of favourite poems in a nice classy lay-out. Producing is writing poems. I can't believe that nobody sees that DJs are in a way totally missing out and don't even have so much of a real reason to exist except for that the 'poets' need them.

Another risky sentence to say but I believe that the amount of energy you need to put into DJing to be good (apart from the booking and ego shit) is far oh so fuckin far removed from the amount of energy and will you have to put in to producing.

I have a dj-set but I don't like mixing so much. Why? Well cause it's fun. For real it's fun to do. But I could never see it as something serious. It's fun to perform, smoke a cig, ego-trip like every other dj, but it's far from making music.

Far. Far. Far.

Please don't go and discuss this with me. I respect DJs for what they do but I'd never understand them.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by peet: 14-01-2005 18:54.

14-01-2005 18:54 Homepage of peet
peet
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:

it does. but thats kind of the point of cd turntables now...its a lot cheaper...but if youre from the us and get it pressed in the us it will cost around 70$, if you buy form the uk,. itll; cost around 120$ !

get a cdj my good friend

__

14-01-2005 18:58 Homepage of peet
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

peet speaks from the heart man. He makes a good point. I've always felt the same way about DJ's. Bigup

__

14-01-2005 18:58 Homepage of spudleyq
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:

I can get it done for $40 american.

__

14-01-2005 18:59 Homepage of spudleyq
Retroshift
Steppa

i totally agree, producers deserve most respect Wink
luckily they still can stick their name on the tracks they make
cheerio
14-01-2005 19:02

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by peet
This is a great thread to drop my own opinion about this totally annoying occurence.

I really hate it. People who dj, and then they're like 'Yeah I should better start producing cause it's the next step'. Oh damn no. I can vomit over those people man. Produce if you WANT to produce, not to get ahead in whatever youre wanting to go ahead in. Producing is MAKING music. DJing is PLAYING music. BIG difference.

I have never understood the reasoning of DJs and I've learn to shut up about it and not start discussions cause I always get lots of people on my ass for doing so. The thing is. DJing is imho just publishing a book of favourite poems in a nice classy lay-out. Producing is writing poems. I can't believe that nobody sees that DJs are in a way totally missing out and don't even have so much of a real reason to exist except for that the 'poets' need them.

Another risky sentence to say but I believe that the amount of energy you need to put into DJing to be good (apart from the booking and ego shit) is far oh so ------ far removed from the amount of energy and will you have to put in to producing.

I have a dj-set but I don't like mixing so much. Why? Well cause it's fun. For real it's fun to do. But I could never see it as something serious. It's fun to perform, smoke a cig, ego-trip like every other dj, but it's far from making music.

Far. Far. Far.

Please don't go and discuss this with me. I respect DJs for what they do but I'd never understand them.

WELL PUT!!!!....

I started dj'ing before i started producing..and peets right..its so fun...and there are too many dj's that think theyre like the best in the world...When BPM magazine dubs you #1 drumnbass dj/producer in the USA (dieselboy) then you can walk around flaunting your shit...

I dont get Dj's either...Just the other day i got into an argument with someone who trie4d telling me tiesto is the #1 dj period..and then he went on baout how he has to set up his equipment etc...by the end i cauhgt him in a lie and he looked stupid...he didnt say a word after...dumb dj's lol...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

14-01-2005 19:03
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

HAHA.....oh god.....he sets up his own equipment.....he must be the best!!! Bigup Bigup

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by spudleyq: 14-01-2005 19:06.

14-01-2005 19:06 Homepage of spudleyq
Retroshift
Steppa

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Hahaha, for a moment there i thought this was the comedy section.
14-01-2005 19:08
peet
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

It's funny to talk about Tiesto cause I'm Dutch and we're all in some kind of love-hate way proud of him. If I tell (esp older) people about my music stuff they always laugh and say 'you're gonna be the next tiesto!', and haha I'm always like 'shit don't say that' Big Grin . Any way. He lives in my town. And the reason he has became so big is simply DJ-ing his ass off, having luck, being born in the Netherlands (we're the world's #1 dance nation).

I lost track of the point I was gonna make so I'll better stop haha.

__

14-01-2005 19:21 Homepage of peet
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

How can you possibly know the #1 dance country in the world? That would take a ridiculous amount of research on subjects and areas that are purposefully kept out of the eye of the public. It's like saying "the #1 movie ever made"......how could you ever possibly know that?

__

14-01-2005 19:27 Homepage of spudleyq
Retroshift
Steppa

Belgium is the worlds #1 dance nation Big Grin ,
anywayz its funny coz producers look to djs the same way as the actual producers look to producers, i mean those who use real bassguitars and drums and not some compproggy,
haha, stuff to argue about :p
14-01-2005 19:29
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Registration Date: 26-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

quote:
Originally posted by peet
Produce if you WANT to produce, not to get ahead in whatever youre wanting to go ahead in. Producing is MAKING music. DJing is PLAYING music. BIG difference.

The thing is. DJing is imho just publishing a book of favourite poems in a nice classy lay-out. Producing is writing poems. I can't believe that nobody sees that DJs are in a way totally missing out and don't even have so much of a real reason to exist except for that the 'poets' need them.

For real it's fun to do. But I could never see it as something serious. It's fun to perform, smoke a cig, ego-trip like every other dj, but it's far from making music.

Far. Far. Far.

Bigup 100% agree with you

quote:

On your side ....

__
Yesterday' s futur is today!! Doped

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tetsuo: 14-01-2005 19:41.

14-01-2005 19:36
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

So tiësto knows how to plug in a cinch? He must be really smart then! Tongue

DJ'ing and producing are indeed 2 different things, but they are both about working with music. And that is the main reason why u should do any of them, because u love music! I don't consider producing as a "next step" to dj'ing, but a lot of dj's want to produce because if u score with even just 1 track it really gives your carreer as dj a major boost. I disagree on the part that dj'ing is so much easier then producing. DJ'ing is so much more than just beatmixing. U can add a lot of creativity in it, working with other peoples music. I mean look at the good dj's, I mean the really good ones. People who can put a flow, a vibe, build things up, control the crowd, mix in a creative and interesting way. None of them are teenagers, even hardly any in their twenty's.(with all respect for young people dj'ing - some are also very good, but there is so much difference) Being really really good in dj'ing takes a whole lot of experience. And so does being really really good in producing, so maybe they aren't that different after all.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
14-01-2005 19:38 Homepage of djfreemc
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Belgium is the worlds #1 dance nation ,
anywayz its funny coz producers look to djs the same way as the actual producers look to producers, i mean those who use real bassguitars and drums and not some compproggy,

whoa whoa whoa......I don't understand the difference between playing a real electric guitar through an amp........and playing a real electric guitar through a computer to make it sound like a synthesized reece bass. It still takes the same amount of musical knowledge and talent. There's no difference between playing a grand piano......and playing a synthesizer keyboard.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by spudleyq: 14-01-2005 19:40.

14-01-2005 19:38 Homepage of spudleyq
peet
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by spudleyq
quote:
Belgium is the worlds #1 dance nation ,

whoa whoa whoa......I don't understand the difference between playing a real electric guitar through an amp........and playing a real electric guitar through a computer to make it sound like a synthesized reece bass. It still takes the same amount of musical knowledge and talent. There's no difference between playing a grand piano......and playing a synthesizer keyboard.

i think he's talking about producers in the sense of pop producers. you know. making beats for ashanti, janet and usher. oh and snoop ofcourse Wink

__

14-01-2005 19:43 Homepage of peet
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Dj ---> Producer