drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Getting Out there.
Go to the bottom of this page Getting Out there.
Author
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

quote:
Originally posted by ultradark
software synths and effects are just a substitute for hardware synths and effect units for those who don't have the money to buy the real things. it all started when the pc's became powerfull enough to emulate hardware, before that there was just hardware.

yeah and "vintage" synthetisers were made to substitute real instruments, nowadays lots of producers focus on creating new synths/effects not just simulate oldskool vintage hardware. Look at absynth 3, or Izotope ozone3 they are not trying to simulate anything they are easy to use pretty powerful, sounding great and very unique.

quote:
with hardware you can be more creative

I don't agree with this at all, imagine that you work with sampler that has very low memory comparing to pc hard drive, imagine all those wirings of your hardware machines, imagine that you do have own just few effect units you must plug on another synth when you want to use it.. No realtime playing , hard work, all this recording on a tape and mixing, no my friend using hardware is lot slower and less productive imho. Only advantage of hardware is that it does sound better mostly, but I think it's just question of few years when there will be new generation of software instruments that will sound better then hardware machines of yesterday.

__

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by B-complex: 10-01-2005 21:13.

10-01-2005 21:11
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
with hardware you can be more creative

I'm not sure about that. Since doing stuff in SW is so much easyer (no hassle with wires and all that) you can experiment much easyer imo

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

10-01-2005 21:12 Homepage of Surya
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

i declare there shall not be anymore comparasions to analog and digital. there is emulations of both, since tehy have both there own characteristics that are needed. there is almost no line there, the true use of music tech arts, is to use both as has been said.

this is why the arguments has, and should stay stopped. there is preferances of course. I don't like pads or moog sounds, but this doesn't mean they are not good or better in sound.

there are no rules, in art.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

10-01-2005 21:31 Homepage of Halph-Price
BigFire BigFire is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1086.jpg

Registration Date: 09-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.25

I doo agree with the fact that all software is getting alot better. ive been working with reason since 1.0 and been audio editing for about 6 years. You guys are right its getting wayy better than before. I guess im just really strict with it Smile . As for surora im really glad to see some one has the balls to say that alot of peoples stuff needs work. As producers i would hope to see us all strive for a better sound and something a bit more apealling to the masses. I truly do wish that everyone would get their stuff pressed but especially in The states or more specificly chicago where I live. Its hard to get anything done with your music. Its also hard to find guys with talent that actually want to do something with it. Thank you so much for all your replys. I enjoyed very much reading.
Im Waiting to get rights to upload a couple of my tracks so you guys can analyze the shit out of them.
Im shure you ll find them different, but im hoping they will fit in with the dancefloor swing of things.

Allegience Or Death

__
Where's the fucking bass??!!
10-01-2005 22:15
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

quote:
. with hardware you can be more creative

shitty songs have been made with just hardware...using all hardware alone doesn't make a tune good by any means---and if that's what you believe, then you're sadly mistaken...most of the bigger named producers nowadays are switching over to mostly software setups...saying that 'with hardware you can be more creative' is totally ridiculous...

__

10-01-2005 22:25
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

I just ate a hot dog!!!

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
10-01-2005 22:53 Homepage of spudleyq
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

major studios still have 24 tracks with megnatic tape reels too. even with sw being as good.
for live shows, software is good, they actully got a HW for playing VST's. it's basicly a 40gb 256mb ram dedicated computer, but it's considered hardware. better than a laptop.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

11-01-2005 02:21 Homepage of Halph-Price
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

Oh Peet's not gonna like that one ultradark! Hey Peet are you a software saleman or what? Tongue I started with all hardware working with some guys from Vinyl Syndicate/Fortress (Sniper, Slip and Slide, Illfingas) back in the day and I do agree that it is easier having the knobs right there on the hardware, but as long as you have a good controller (for automation etc.) today's top softsynths are just as good - it just seems so many people don't get them tweaked out as much as they can be. It helps using some analogue in your chain like a tube compressor for example. Since I've been teaching high school physics I'm not even awake at the same time of day as those aforementioned hardware heads, and I've been forrced to make all my tunes on my laptop with minimal softsynths. At first my stuff sounded downright shit, but its gradually catching up to those guys - and I'm not forced into the same sonic ruts they can get stuck in using the same old hardware year after year. There's plenty of top quality tracks made entirely on software, it just takes more fiddling.

Although I may seem to be defending Peet's point of view here, I do not defend him ragging on the newbie .Burning - hopefully he can put that sort of energy into actually reviewing some tracks some day. It's the newbies that need the reviews the most - so spread the love Big Grin

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page
11-01-2005 02:37 Homepage of Nosrac
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

you don't get it. you're both right.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

11-01-2005 05:06 Homepage of Halph-Price
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Registration Date: 26-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

quote:
Originally posted by Nosrac
Although I may seem to be defending Peet's point of view here, I do not defend him ragging on the newbie .Burning - hopefully he can put that sort of energy into actually reviewing some tracks some day. It's the newbies that need the reviews the most - so spread the love Big Grin

Same here, i think that's the best way to push things forward. By the way, i might sound ridiculous but have heard that is actually your sound card wich 'transform' analog to digital while sending the sound out.... Make sense? Confused

__
Yesterday' s futur is today!! Doped

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by tetsuo: 11-01-2005 12:46.

11-01-2005 10:14
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

You DUMBASSES! EVerything is hardware, even the computer sound is hardware! Look in depth sometimes - you make it on hardware, you play it on hardware.. is the keyboard software? Is the CPU software? The sound card? Big Grin

The difference is the level of development and the money Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I am for the "software", I definitely like to create my music on computer more than on analogue samplers... but it's the same f00k1ng thing!

:peace: Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
11-01-2005 10:23 Homepage of Muad'Dib
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by muaddib
You DUMBASSES! EVerything is hardware, even the computer sound is hardware! Look in depth sometimes - you make it on hardware, you play it on hardware.. is the keyboard software? Is the CPU software? The sound card? Big Grin

Maybe the sequencer is soft, no???? Even that real sequencer do use some kind of soft to run ( off topics, i know)
quote:

The difference is the level of development and the money Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Agree with that, but the stability of the composant
are for a hell lot of things!!!!! And of course, with soft, you got a cpu bossing the stability of evreything: in fact it's the OS, but off topics again...
quote:

I am for the "software", I definitely like to create my music on computer more than on analogue samplers...
Big Grin :::: Same for me

:peace: :bigup[/quote]

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tetsuo: 11-01-2005 12:55.

11-01-2005 12:52
wicked_wayz wicked_wayz is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1681.jpg

Registration Date: 19-03-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

software-hardware, both pass through a computer eventually (simply to write the cd for instance).

i think software has the potential to go even further than hardware, simply cause more is possible in the the digital domain. the greatest weakness of software imo is the fact that it tries to look/sound like hardware, instead of triing to be an instrument in it's own right.
e.g. why oh why would I wanna have a knob on a vst synth??? turning a knob with a mouse is very inconvenient... sliders are easier. BUT, some peeps only want it cause it looks like some hardware unit.

however, not all hardware effects are possible with software: King Tubby, legendary dub producer, used to kick his hardware spring reverb unit, which gave legendary sounds. allthough i sometimes wanna hit my pc, i don't think it will give a similar sound. and haven't found a way yet to get similar results with software
11-01-2005 14:17 Homepage of wicked_wayz
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

I am for the "software", I definitely like to create my music on computer more than on analogue samplers... but it's the same f00k1ng thing!

:peace: Bigup

the way it's handled is different dude. the level of fidelity is different. computers can be used to do the same but it's odd how it's different.

example with EQ:

analog eq actully makes errors and warms the sound

digital does it precies in a linear fashion makeing it too exact in comparision.

it's not actully about the median they use, it's just there is a difference in sound. but the same for every friggen instrument ever made. so the discrimination between them is uncalled for.

you got the right idea though dude. they're DUMBASSES! Tongue

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 11-01-2005 15:19.

11-01-2005 15:17 Homepage of Halph-Price
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

example with EQ:

analog eq actully makes errors and warms the sound

digital does it precies in a linear fashion makeing it too exact in comparision.

Totaly agree with you, exept that is the signal which is generate in a more precise way in digital than in analog. Thing is if i spend 500$ in a sound card, i'm sure some reason sound will be as good as the waldorf microwave that my friend got: Funny, i've arguing with him for ages about this, good thing i've find this site!!! Pleased
quote:

you got the right idea though dude. they're DUMBASSES! Tongue

I though dumb basses Big Grin

__
11-01-2005 16:26
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

oddly, there is a lot of digital synths that are based of analog now. the mini moog, the arp, not too mention reason., there's korg also......

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

11-01-2005 16:30 Homepage of Halph-Price
rorschach rorschach is a male
Cool Steppa

Registration Date: 24-08-2003

quote:

the same? depends on which level...
if you pull it far enough, software will never ever be the same as hardware, unless you find a way to sample at infinite rates and to know every single variable that affects a analog components ( transistors and the likes ) in order to produce the same sound as your hardware,which you obviousely cannot. Eg: a guy at work once had to model the simplest RC lowpass filter in software. Despite being quite a dsp guru he gave up for it was too hard. I don't think hw and sw is the same ;-]
11-01-2005 18:07 Homepage of rorschach
@1$-)
unregistered
er....simple fact is software is more complex and your able to do more stuff quicker, no?? and depending on your soundcard/interface it will sound as good or better than using things as an emu or akai sampler, or hard synths,its just down to the analogue to digital converters... so if your using a basic pc card and not something built for the job then yeah it will sound worse, hardwares dying in terms of synths and samplers..the only use for it now is to be bundled with software as a kind of dongle to stop piracy, but you will still get eqs, desks, compressors etc just cause it has a warmer sound, but lets face it if you make dnb or dance music then you want your beats to be cold anyway!!! cold n phat, layer those drums mannn!!
11-01-2005 18:14
peet
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

one more thing.
for all those guys out there who use hardware cause it gives their sound 'vintage'-appeal or 'warmness'. which digital lacks. then listen to this.

your thoughts are the other way around. the wrong way. if we would want that in digital audio we couldve just made a software fx for that. something so advanced to recreate every warmness in sound possible (these fx are already available).

the thing is. with software you can do everything. everything can be developed so the possibilities are endless. and also the preciseness of what developers want is huge. with most vintage hardware (which is not based on computer chips) you are always going to have irregularities.

that's the whole thing. precise or irregular.

__

11-01-2005 18:28 Homepage of peet
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by peet
one more thing.
for all those guys out there who use hardware cause it gives their sound 'vintage'-appeal or 'warmness'. which digital lacks. then listen to this.

your thoughts are the other way around. the wrong way. if we would want that in digital audio we couldve just made a software fx for that. something so advanced to recreate every warmness in sound possible (these fx are already available).

the thing is. with software you can do everything. everything can be developed so the possibilities are endless. and also the preciseness of what developers want is huge. with most vintage hardware (which is not based on computer chips) you are always going to have irregularities.

that's the whole thing. precise or irregular.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH....maybe that will stop this damn bickering...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

11-01-2005 18:32
Pages (5): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Getting Out there.