drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Getting Out there.
Go to the bottom of this page Getting Out there.
Author
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1086.jpg

Registration Date: 09-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.25

I just started using this site but i have allready noticed alot of producers that have a semi decent sound. Whats up guys. Just making dnb for fun or what. Im a dnb dj and aspireing producer/sound engineer. And i cant think of doing anything more with than music. But it looks like the scene isnt very freindly to new comers. Any advice on how to get out? I mean I am making tunes and when i get my pass ill upload them so you can tell me if you think i got what it takes. But my biggest question is this.
Right now I use a combination of Reason Ableton wavelab and cooledit pro. All of this is software. I think that if you do things this way its will allways make stuff sound Somehow cheesy wee all need kool hardware to sample or play live into our software.
With out "making it" first I see no real way to produce the major dnb sound or the current sound its evolving into. Hence the problem. Who is gonna give us a chance to get played infront of people with out it?

__
Where's the fucking bass??!!
10-01-2005 00:32
peet
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

do some research and learn your tools before your start blabbering about software having a cheesy sound.

[edited by thechronic]

__

10-01-2005 03:32 Homepage of peet
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

ha, i guess peet doesn't like n00bs very much...

__

10-01-2005 04:07
charleskoncept charleskoncept is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-580.jpg

Registration Date: 29-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

damn dude thats a little harsh... he was ter al just askin a quesion....

peace :!:

__
charleskoncept
10-01-2005 04:12
peet
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

im not harsh i just try to keep everyone from spreading the bullshit about the lack of potential in software.

to say something positive; just keep working and practicing, cause you got the tools.

__

10-01-2005 07:20 Homepage of peet
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

if saying that [edited] is not at harsh at all, makes me all curious about how language is used when you ARE actueally being harsh towards people.
Prove me wrong, but you have a - what i don't mind at all - VERY straightforward way of saying things.
Especially when you disagree with/repent/something you don't like.

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
10-01-2005 11:05 Homepage of Soi
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Registration Date: 26-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

Euh, don't know in general, but that's right that was kind of rough, even a bit agresive in my opinion. I think that everybody started somewhere and telling him that he's incompetent and so, it's like you've got no memory my friend.
I mean, what are you going to say to your kid when you'll teach him how to ride a bike? He won't be able to make a backflip right away, and i'm sure you won't call him imcompetent for that...
Despite of that, if you only review yours "buddies", the scene ( and this site ) will just fall on itself, and i think nobody tha is involved into it wants that. No disrespect peet, you're a good producer and shit, but I don't think you get up one morning and discovered u can make decent dnb...Sure u spent some time on it and had some "help" in a way or another.
So big fire, keep to it, explore yours softwares as hell and chek your soundcard, maybe the shitty sound is just cause of that. I do not use sampla cause i use reason to make sound, but once i rec some stuff, i remaster it thru soundforge and T Rack, make thing better I think....

PEACE Bigup

__
Yesterday' s futur is today!! Doped

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tetsuo: 10-01-2005 12:03.

10-01-2005 11:58
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

digital does lack the sound quality of analog, it's true, evena t 64 bit, which only a few programs run they still lack the exact sound quality that analog has. this is why most digital music programs try to emulate analog as much as they can.

analog does have a perfect sound quality, digital tries to get that same perfect, it is a little off, but recently it's been getting to the point where it's almost on par. with analog tools like Virus and such that are actully flashed with digital software, it makes even the analog synths are actully digital in disguise.
but a good digital synth takes up a lot of resources, hence why the cheesier ones can be better, and need more time in them to devolp a better sound.

it's no BS at all. Digital sound is but only slight less then analog. with a tool like reason, you'd never notice it though. that shit is fucking tight. and ReBirth, there's almost no comparasion, it's amazing!!!

digital is now the way to go, analog is too excpensive, and not as powerful, creativly.

although analog is simple in where you tweak 2 knobs and get your sound. digital you can tweak a lot more.

example, the original 303 you have a choice in osc, 4 knobs and a a glide function right?

the digital counter for it ProTau, has 2 osc, 4 effects, the same tweaks to it, but a wider choice of osc.

there is some truth in digital having a cheesier sound, but now it doesn't matter, if you can setup everything properly, with the correct digital tools.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 10-01-2005 12:59.

10-01-2005 12:54 Homepage of Halph-Price
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

Actually, I've had written a reply to this thread yesterday but then I've said to myself that I don't need to flame about the same things over again with people that have all their knowledge from their friends or magazines etc.. There are lot's of professional producers who uses just software becouse hey people it's 2005 now ! .. Hardware still has some advantages and also better sound, but you can achieve this better sounding records just at the point when you really know what you're doing and why. Also it's a very slight difference that common ear will not hear in my oppinion. Also it's good to mention that trend nowadays is to bring hw to the sw, look at new virus synth it can be used as a vsti plugin in your host, that's pretty cool, I think that we can really look forward to the future.

__

10-01-2005 13:08
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

yea, man, it's only good. more creative freedom, means better music! you just need variety. i think if you use only one program it will sound cheese, you can mostly be sure of that

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

10-01-2005 14:20 Homepage of Halph-Price
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

the future is here......digital will surpass analog in no time........it will get to the point that people will be saying......."you're using hardware? that's preposterous man!! don't you know software sounds better!?!".......that past is the past......the future is now!!!

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
10-01-2005 14:45 Homepage of spudleyq
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Jep, everybody's going more and more SW, but to add the final touches in mastering, I think you'd better still use HW

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

10-01-2005 15:21 Homepage of Surya
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Jep, everybody's going more and more SW, but to add the final touches in mastering, I think you'd better still use HW

word

__

10-01-2005 15:35
@1$-)
unregistered
[edited]

bigfires got a point, software is pretty cold, but the only hardware worth the money now is valve gear for warming up the mix, but software is catching up...look at the advances in only the past two or three years, weve gone from having twee toy sounding soft synths to monsters that sound better and can do more for less money. Itseems soft is the only option for most, why pay two grand for a decent hard synth when you can get absyth or the korg legacy for under £300?!?!
10-01-2005 17:43
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by peet
im not harsh i just try to keep everyone from spreading the bullshit about the lack of potential in software.

to say something positive; just keep working and practicing, cause you got the tools.

quote:
Originally posted by utter muppet
[edited]

PEACE BROTHAZ ! ! !

Kiss Hug Offtopic Sun

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
10-01-2005 17:52 Homepage of Muad'Dib
muphasta muphasta is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1490.jpg

Registration Date: 29-06-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.88

diplomacy is the key to peace. we dont want everyone to be scared when surfing here!!! REPHRASE PLS. jezus, kids!!!!!!

cheers

__
muphasta none dnb
www.myspace.com/muphsugar
reggeadubwise.com
Roots-reggea-project: muphsteppa
muphsteppa@reggeadubwise
10-01-2005 18:03
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

actully eq for mixing songs is better not because it's perfect but becuase of it's errors, and supposedly add's a warmth to the sound you cannot get with linear digital eq.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

10-01-2005 18:08 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by B-complex
quote:
Originally posted by Surya

word

peet, b-complex, surya are all right guys...face it...whether our sounds are good, the majority of us suck...there isnt an easy way into the scene...

dude if you are an as[iring dj a lot of itmes that dosnt cut it unless you want to play house in a club your whoel life...according to what ive heard, you have to be spinin your own shti, and itd better be good...a lot of us get really good reviews and prolly boost our spirits a bit, but truth is that track is shit to whats on the market...if youre new dude, make sure youre 100% confident about your work...its a hardmarket out there...and dot worry about software, i mena use what you like, and use waht you are familiar with...but i have to say there are other softwares that are bette imho...

unfortunately people who love dnb and make it like the most of us would all love to get our stuff signed, but quite frankily we're just not good enough....YET....it takes a hell of a lot of practice and patience...i mean a lot...i almsot completely abondoned highschool for music...fortunately im going to graduate, but the point is, dont give up on it i guess, but dont be torn down cause people say your shit sucks or you need a lot more work...

CHEERS Bigup

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

10-01-2005 18:53
peet
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

oh yeh haha like i want to be FRESH Bigup Big Grin

for real i don't mean to be harsh and if u were just asking for help on starting out i'd handed it to you, but you were insinuating something sickly annoying that is spreading thru people's minds about software.

i'm saying this again, it's total bs software is inferior to hardware in any way. personally i'd say the opposite. ofcourse you got 'the vintage sound' and all that shit, but you can get so much closer to the sound you want with software.

any way this is turning into a software<>hardware thread. we don't want that.

just don't bitch on software, most tunes out there are done with it right now so back off.

__

10-01-2005 19:03 Homepage of peet
peet
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

why? i don't get it.
you have the same amount and arguabley even more amount of options with software.

__

10-01-2005 20:54 Homepage of peet
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Getting Out there.