drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Cubase Users Unite!
Go to the bottom of this page Cubase Users Unite! 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

groove agent is for people that want a midi drummer that isn't fussy. it's pre made midi drums with pre made drum sounds. that's the extent of it. like a CR-800 or something. has a wide range, and even can variate ever 4 beats by itself, but still lacks the quality of a real drummer that plays along with you, instead of just plays.

still has nice flow. but, trust me, for drum and bass it's useless. for a guitarist, it's handy dandy.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

11-07-2005 18:58 Homepage of Halph-Price
wreakon wreakon is a male
evol genius

images/avatars/avatar-1689.jpg

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

im using battery for my drums at the mo and it works sweet with drum maps! i think its a bug because sometimes it works if i switch back and forwards between drum maps and midi sequences a few times Confused

anyways, ive just been exporting the samples out of the sf's using vienna and chucking em into battery.. which is cool because usualy there is only a few sounds i want..

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

The Patch lab - Download free vst patches, banks and kits

mylamespace
12-07-2005 01:16 Homepage of wreakon
Audio Assassin
unregistered
I use Cubase SX 3. Nice program definatly. FL was good back in the day, but once you learn how to use Cubase I dont think you would revert back to FL. FL's sound engine just completely fails in comparsion to SX's and just is a lot less capable of about everything.
12-07-2005 01:54
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
groove agent is for people that want a midi drummer that isn't fussy. it's pre made midi drums with pre made drum sounds. that's the extent of it. like a CR-800 or something. has a wide range, and even can variate ever 4 beats by itself, but still lacks the quality of a real drummer that plays along with you, instead of just plays.

still has nice flow. but, trust me, for drum and bass it's useless. for a guitarist, it's handy dandy.

good to know - I'll avoid it.

Melodyne is one I want (pitch and quantize tool for vocals and live recording of instruments)- heard anything about it?

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page
12-07-2005 03:08 Homepage of Nosrac
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

Just bought Stylus RMX, Can't seem to get the dam sound's into the dam thing. It has a huge library of sound's and hit's that came with it and I can't get them into the Stylus. Anyone who own's Stylus that has encountered this problem, your tip's would be much appretiated. Cheer's ++Stu Maggoo++ Bigup

__
Space
12-07-2005 04:19
teknyne teknyne is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 12-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.75

Ez people! i'm relatively new to this production lark but cubase is defo my program of choice. Got a wee problem thats pickin at my brain good n proper! Here goes-----

Is there any way of automating the knobs on a vst? Dont have any trouble with automation for inserts n that, its just the instruments. Probably a stupid question but i'm tearing my hair out tryin to automate my lfo's etc. Cheers in advance Bigup most of u peepl seem pretty knowledgable in the makin tunes dept.

__

www.wonkee.co.uk

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by teknyne: 12-07-2005 14:06.

12-07-2005 14:05
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by teknyne
Ez people! i'm relatively new to this production lark but cubase is defo my program of choice. Got a wee problem thats pickin at my brain good n proper! Here goes-----

Is there any way of automating the knobs on a vst? Dont have any trouble with automation for inserts n that, its just the instruments. Probably a stupid question but i'm tearing my hair out tryin to automate my lfo's etc. Cheers in advance Bigup most of u peepl seem pretty knowledgable in the makin tunes dept.

first up yes its possible.....but i need to know what version of cubase your using
12-07-2005 18:15
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price

well i wouldnt say its useless......you can get some nice humanized grooves going.....and theres some really nice hits in there for sampling.....and you can always use the midi patterns to trigger something else....
12-07-2005 18:17
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

ya, it is velocity sensative drums, but only for like 5 steps or so, i think....

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

12-07-2005 18:24 Homepage of Halph-Price
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

teknyne: on most versions of cubase, automation of vst's works fine, in the same way that you would automate effects (click write, move the knobs how you like, click read for play back). Keep in mind however that many vst instruments not made by steinberg (usually from about two years ago and earlier) don't support write automation - however, nowadays most do. Also, if you are using sx, the graphing feature is very powerful. There may be other ways, but the way I do it is to click write, arbitrarily move the knobs I want to affect (ex. lfo, cutoff etc. for ex. to get those big pulsing renegade bass lines), and then right click on the track and select "show used automation". Then on these graphs you can zoom in and acurately graph out ramps, curves, steps etc. all obeying what quantize setting you're on. Hope this helps.

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page
12-07-2005 18:32 Homepage of Nosrac
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
first up yes its possible.....but i need to know what version of cubase your using

using cubase sx 2.0.1 mate. Bigup

__

www.wonkee.co.uk
12-07-2005 22:19
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
quote:

me to.....yeh see nosracs answer.....
12-07-2005 22:32
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
quote:
quote:

me to.....yeh see nosracs answer.....

Oh yea, didnt notice that. Nice 1 guys. Bigup can go to sleep tonite now

__

www.wonkee.co.uk
12-07-2005 23:45
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I just started using cubase sx, once I get my head round it I'll be back

__
SAVE THE SL1200
19-07-2005 10:41
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

quote:
Originally posted by dmccabe
I just started using cubase sx, once I get my head round it I'll be back
Any questions you got send a pm, I know the dam thing inside out, backward and foward oh and sidways too. Pleased Cheers++Stu Maggoo++

__
Space
19-07-2005 10:56
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I'll keep that in mind, thanx equipped!

__
SAVE THE SL1200
19-07-2005 19:18
vinylnet vinylnet is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1051.gif

Registration Date: 17-07-2005

Hi, new to the forum but everything looks very interesting,

I'm using Nuendo 3 which is similar to Cubase SX3. To automate vst instruments I have tried many things:

Fidling with the knobs with your mouse - not very accurate but sometimes effective.

Drawing in the controllers into controller lanes as Nosrac rightly said by finding the right controller lane then using the pencil or sine drawing tool to draw in is extremely effective.

I use a lot of my outboard gear to send midi to the computer, I dont have a dedicated controller but plenty of knobs and sliders on keyboards to do the trick. The Akai Z8 has 8 knobs on which are really handy and easy to allocate to midi. I tend to use this when I need good hands on control. There are loads of cheap controllers out there which could do the trick.

I always put my automation on a seperate track though on the same midi channel, this helps to move it around easily and you can nudge it over a little or even put it on another instrument.
19-07-2005 19:56 Homepage of vinylnet
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

im back to using cubase after a short hiatus with just reason and then FL(blows) now its back to cubase . ...

and so far i love it ..

Bigup

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
21-07-2005 11:07 Homepage of Arkitekt
jevah jevah is a male

Registration Date: 03-08-2005

I use reason in rewire slave to cubase for my drums. If you patch every percussion instrument to a channel on the hardware interface of reason you can process every sample separately in cubase! Which is very nice. If that's not enough, you can first manipulate your drumsamples in reason (going through some FX ) and then patch them to the hardware interface for further manipulating them in cubase. In cubase you can make a subgroup track to which you route all your drumsamples' channels coming from reason. In that way it is easy to apply FX which should affect your drums in general. I checked a demo of Reason 3 and the masterclass can do some amazing stuff to achieve some aggressive drumming!! Wink

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jevah: 03-08-2005 16:37.

03-08-2005 16:35
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Cubase Users Unite!