drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Cubase Users Unite!
Go to the bottom of this page Cubase Users Unite! 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

It seems like most people on here are using reason or FL and I would like to share some tricks and tips with some Cubase users. If you're out there - let me know!

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page
06-01-2005 03:42 Homepage of Nosrac
XTensionTrigger XTensionTrigger is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2287.gif

Registration Date: 04-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I use Nuendo 2.0 but this soft is very similar...

__

Myspace
06-01-2005 15:35 Homepage of XTensionTrigger
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Nuendo is good for mastering complited tracks, they have niece plugins inside like Dynamics, MultibandCompressor, magneto, i like too filter's included in Nuendo, tonic is my favorite...

__

Myspace
06-01-2005 17:09 Homepage of XTensionTrigger
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

I am using nuendo2 from time to time, but nowadays I am more interested in renoise, anyway, if I can help, I'll try and also i'd like to learn new tricks I don't know Wink

__

06-01-2005 18:14
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

I experiment a little with cubase from time to time, so anything that could help me learn to use it better is certainly welcome. Got a first question allready: how would u program a drumloop with some wav (or other) samples in cubase, or what plugin would u use for it?

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
06-01-2005 20:11 Homepage of djfreemc
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
I experiment a little with cubase from time to time, so anything that could help me learn to use it better is certainly welcome. Got a first question allready: how would u program a drumloop with some wav (or other) samples in cubase, or what plugin would u use for it?

I use NI Intakt for playing loops...

__

Myspace
06-01-2005 20:19 Homepage of XTensionTrigger
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

Helpfulness rating: 

Ya, for example you could use the "import from cd" option, "grab" a tiny snip from any cd, or MP3 burnt cd, fine tune the length in cubase and copy and paste along an audio track quantizing by making sure snap is at 1/16th or whatever. By placing each drum or element on a different audio track, you can have lots of control over mastering. i.e. you can compress the hell out of your bass drum, add reverb to just your snare, phase your hats etc. This technique does get messy - using dozens of audio tracks - but no softsampler required. The new graphical interface for automation is sx alows you to have a huge amount of control over these audio snips (i.e. you can do pretty much anything you can do with a sampler) for example, you can increase or decrease the volume which has the same effect as affecting velocity on a vst. Plus you have access to pitchshifting, timestretching and other audio functions. My first copy of cubase I used about 4 years ago was a crack with no midi functions, so I made several tunes using only these techniques. Now of course a softsampler is simpler, but it can get costly. The cheaper Battery mentioned by ultradark is very simple to use and plays samples up to 60s I think. Kotact is awesome, but expensive and a steep learning curve.

__
06-01-2005 22:27 Homepage of Nosrac
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

Helpfulness rating: 

If Nuendo and SX have the same audio engine, how could the sound quality be any different?

__
06-01-2005 22:28 Homepage of Nosrac
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

Nuendo supports much more external hardware machines, also it has different color Smile ) but no really, I think that difference may be [but i am not sure of this] that cubase sx uses 32bit with floating point that is something like 24bit +8bit that changes those 24 bits, and nuendo is pure 32bit so it renders it with slightly better quality.

__

06-01-2005 23:53
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

Helpfulness rating: 

Huh

__
07-01-2005 05:08 Homepage of Nosrac
ROBTRONIX ROBTRONIX is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 29-11-2004

Whatup everyone

My names Rob reppin the Ohio dnb game.
I've been checking this site from time to time since my boy Marisol was a mod a while back. I just never really posted too much.
I recently picked up a Powerbook G4 & Cubase SX3 & have been plugging away ever since.

I'm actually attending a Cubase seminar tomorrow at Guitar Center out here. If I learn anything cool I'll for sure keep you guys posted.
Everything else I know right now has already been talked about for the most part.

Oh, wait one question though. All this talk about bassline frequencies & not overlapping different sounds in the same freq. range.
Is there a vst plug-in or something along those lines that analyzes freq.'s in Cubase? I use to use Inspector or something like that in Fruity Loops.

__
http://www.robtronix.com
Subliminal Funk
Koala-Tea
06-06-2005 22:24 Homepage of ROBTRONIX
Tribe2you

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

I would like to suggest linplug's rmVI. It's a very good beginner to advanced drum mudule and lets you save your midi parts for fooling around later on your next tracks! it also previews midi tracks strait from the plugin itself!
07-06-2005 06:23
Tourist

So the Clinic was more of a "Sales pitch" than an actual clinic. Really not worth the time if you ask me.

I did get word of a cool new website though with some great video tutorials on Cubase.

check out steinbergusers.com

__
Subliminal Funk
Koala-Tea
08-06-2005 19:11 Homepage of ROBTRONIX
daze_DND daze_DND is a male
MYSTIC

images/avatars/avatar-2135.gif

Registration Date: 01-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.25

quote:
Originally posted by ROBTRONIX

I did get word of a cool new website though with some great video tutorials on Cubase.

check out steinbergusers.com

Bigup

didn't know this one..... thnx.

__

info/tunes :: MySpace
08-06-2005 20:30
Tourist

Does anyone know if its possible to play audio events in reverse, without using a vst sampler? Im using SX3 by the way.

__
Subliminal Funk
Koala-Tea
09-06-2005 15:10 Homepage of ROBTRONIX
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

Helpfulness rating: 

Under audio->process-> goto reverse - it will reverse any highlighted audio segment - high quality. As far as I know there is no frequency analyzer in cubase but you can use the multiband compressor to limit each track to specific frequency ranges. The PAZ analyzer from the Waves Platinum bundle is probably the best.

__
09-06-2005 21:54 Homepage of Nosrac
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

ez nosrac im a cubase user, but half of my trakc reach a certain stage of development and then its too much for my computer, and i have to listen to everything 2 seconds at a time. any ideas about how to get around this (other than buying a new computer or muting tracks - i wanna hear the whole thing)

cheers in advance
10-06-2005 16:27
wreakon wreakon is a male
evol genius

images/avatars/avatar-1689.jpg

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

im having trouble using soundfonts with drum maps??

there are heaps of cool soundfonts with drum kits and they work in a normal piano roll but when i change it to a drum map they just dont work!!

im using the rcg sound font player... does anyone else have this prob??

cheers

__
{{{d-_-b}}}

The Patch lab - Download free vst patches, banks and kits

mylamespace
17-06-2005 15:46 Homepage of wreakon
teknyne teknyne is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 12-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.75

quote:
Originally posted by broadside
ez nosrac im a cubase user, but half of my trakc reach a certain stage of development and then its too much for my computer, and i have to listen to everything 2 seconds at a time. any ideas about how to get around this (other than buying a new computer or muting tracks - i wanna hear the whole thing)

cheers in advance

if youve got any of the tracks sounding exactly how u like then u can export that whole track as a wav and turn off the midi track. This usually gives my crippled computer some more speed. Bigup

__

www.wonkee.co.uk
11-07-2005 15:56
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

Helpfulness rating: 

Sorry guys - haven't checked this thread in a while.

Broadside: ya what teknyne said about bouncing your midi tracks to audio is your best bet. In fact, although you could always do this, steinberg advertised this as a new feature called track freeze in sx - I guess its a bit easier cause a single click can freeze or unfreeze tracks rather than soloing, exporting and importing - but the exact same thing is being done - it just puts the frozen track in a special audio folder called freeze. I've also heard that sound quality is better when you bounce to audio because exporting a whole song full of vsts can lead to subtle mistakes made by the vsts accumulating on your final mixdown.

To help with cpu overload you could also try putting certain tracks in groups (in the mixer window) then applying common effects like reverb, x-click, compression etc. to the whole group.

Finally, you could always just resample everything, for example if you think your snare needs reverb, compression and distortion, put a single hit in the roll, apply all the desired effects to the track, export the single snare hit audio and then load that new version back into your sampler (I use battery, kotakt etc.). Of course, this can be done for any sound. Done right you can have a whole massive tune going with just a handful of effects and vsts keeping your cpu usage done to a minimum.

Reckon: I don't know anything about drum maps and have never used them, but I've heard groove agent is an amazing way to make your own maps and program really natural sounding funky drum bits.

__
11-07-2005 18:06 Homepage of Nosrac
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Cubase Users Unite!