drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » Solved problems & fulfilled wishes » offline ?
Go to the bottom of this page offline ?
Author
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Euh they don't support PHP / MySQL Roll Eyes

BTW I stay well clear of these cheap hosts, they put you with hundreds on one server so you get incredibly slow connections and a lot of downtime.

My host is in the middle range, but if I change I would go to a high quality one, preferably having a complete server just for this site.

They do support it, but not by default I think. Since it's 9GB per site, there are LESS sites on a server. They should be faster than most... or at least that's what they say...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

06-05-2003 21:45 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Hehe Big Grin The cheapest colocation deals are $100 a month for 500GB bandwidth. So if they really split up the bandwidth in 50GB pieces among their clients they should ask AT LEAST $10 a month without making any profit. How are they going to provide support if they can't pay their staff??

It's really something shady that's going on there...

If you check sites like www.webhostingtalk.com you find loads of 'companies' that have incredible deals for very low prices. If you then start sending PMs you get very strange answers especially if you start asking very specific questions. I think a lot of these people are 16 years old and plan on making some quick cash.

There are also a lot of posts about companies not living up to their promises and every month a lot of companies close their business. That's why I chose a host that is in existance since a long time and has a good reputation. They've been very helpful up to now. I'm getting responses within a few minutes, even though their HQ is in Australia. They have people up all during the night to solve problems.

I was on the phone today with a sales rep from Combell, but Belgian hosting is way too expensive, their 15GB bandwidth offer is more expensive than American 500GB offers Roll Eyes
Not their fault though, due to the high popularity of the internet in the USA their prices have bottomed out.
The problem with hosting in the states is that the connection is much slower, you can feel the difference in speed between this forum and forums that are hosted in Belgium, no wonder if every page has to travel through a lot of routers for thousands of kilometers before arriving in Belgium...

I guess for our American members the site must be blazingly fast Big Grin

This international business is really funny if you think about it. I have a Belgian site run on American servers hosted by an Australian company Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
06-05-2003 23:21 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Cool Big Grin

How much are you paying now (if you're willing to share that with us)

Looks like a quality host tho!

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

06-05-2003 23:53 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Damn the bandwidth's defo not going to hold. Traffic has increased much over the last week (again Big Grin ) and the prediction is now 18.25GB. I only have 15 GB to spend... It will be down for half a week now if I don't upgrade... Frown

Or I'll have to take down the listen page for a while, but I don't want to do that, and it's the forum BTW that eats the biggest amount of traffic now...

I could switch off some forum functions, like displaying the post count in every post, or the signatures, or the avatars...

pff wouldn't make much difference... I guess I'll have to upgrade Frown

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
13-05-2003 02:44 Homepage of thechronic
boognish boognish is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-4.gif

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

avatars and sigs might make a difference; don't knwo bout the rest though
and I'm afraid my webspace is full now Frown
might be a good idea to forbid images in signatures
banners can be posted in de party-thread
13-05-2003 09:18
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by boognish
might be a good idea to forbid images in signatures

Since these images are not hosted on this site, that won't make a difference.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

13-05-2003 11:10 Homepage of Surya
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » Solved problems & fulfilled wishes » offline ?