drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » mixing questions
Go to the bottom of this page mixing questions
Author
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

mixing terms arent exactly given to people first starting mixing...it took me like a week to get the hang of beat matching and a couple months to get cues down and what not...just ask question...and you get answers...dont feel stupid...only feel stupid when you act like you knwo waht youre talking about when you dont...

double drop- usually refers to when one bassline is playing, and the second record drops on top of it, playing 2 basslines (and when in teh same key sounds sick as fuck) works better with jsut synths and stuff though...not good when two basslines play...can damage speakers...

cutting- i was talking about eqing while mixing...i have an othoradox mixing style and when i bring in a new track i cut out or decrease the low end of the track already playing..what this does is set up tension for the next track and allows you to hear the breaks fairly well...some people do this...most dont...

it also refers to making quick sharps ins and outs while mixing...alot of break djs do that...

cue'ing usually is the droping of the record and the actually procedure of beatmatching...count beats...1-32 and droip on a cymbal crash, and beat match...and tehn drop after the second breakdown...

and cue points are areas in your tracks that you know are best to dorp the nbext track on...many djs disgaurd this and have weird sounding mixes such as, djs will drop a track on teh 5th beat instead of the first,

so when the initial tracks cymbal hits, the second will shortly fallow after 4 counts and it just sounds weird...

my first mixing experiences were before i even wanted to get into any of it...my friend cole was a turbtablist wanna be and for some reason bought some trance and dnb...so every now and then i would attempt to mix not knwo what the fuck i was doing...a couple years past and i got into it a lot more...here i am now...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

27-06-2005 18:20
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

-Double drops and even triple (! Shocked !)drops mean that, if u look at the tracks, they all reach teh 'climax' at the same time.
or all teh beatz start(=drop) at the same time, after those silence parts(=breakdown).
-Root notes: main musical note (like do re mi fa sol la si)where the whole track is built around..
-And cue points, if i'm not mistaken, are certain points in a track where u can trow it in or out of the mix, depending where the point is...

and mixin expiernce? had no big probs with it..first cassettes were shit, offcoarse, but now (i'm busy since october 2004) i do feel like getting somewhere (beatmatches are becomin better and better).
Just be patient. It's a long way of practice to go..
And my first mix for a, little, audience, was when i was mixing for something like 5 months...just ask some friend who give a small homeparty. Big Grin

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
27-06-2005 18:23 Homepage of Friscko
Sub-Skit Sub-Skit is a female
Sexy Steppa

Registration Date: 26-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Had my first homeparty already after 2.5 months of mixing, was funny though. Just made it myself easy, nothing risky or something (they were not so into dnb or mixing so they wouldn't hear the difference between me or any other dj at a party Pleased ) they loved the music I was playing and it were my friends so messing up or not, we had a great time ...
Trowing homeparty's yourself is also an option offcourse Big Grin

Yeah practice makes perfect they say
Took you a week you say. Me I didn't even know you had to do that at the beginning Big Grin till someone told me how I could get those beats right, hold the record , let it run stuff... was like aaaaah that's the way you have to do it...went a hole lot of better after that and I think I'm gonna get lots of those aaaaaaaaaaaaah that's the way' in the future , but I'm loving the stuff so...

__
Enter the place where madness enters your soul

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sub-Skit: 27-06-2005 19:13.

27-06-2005 19:09
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

DNB BBQ MASSIVE!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(dont have a bbq, and were rebuildin the house Crying no bbq)

__

27-06-2005 19:11 Homepage of Friscko
Sub-Skit Sub-Skit is a female
Sexy Steppa

Registration Date: 26-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23

works better with jsut synths and stuff though...

cutting- i was talking about eqing while mixing...i have an othoradox mixing style and when i bring in a new track i cut out or decrease the low end of the track already playing..what this does is set up tension for the next track and allows you to hear the breaks fairly well...some people do this...most dont...

cue'ing usually is the droping of the record and the actually procedure of beatmatching...count beats...1-32 and droip on a cymbal crash, and beat match...and tehn drop after the second breakdown...

what ya mean by those things?

__
Enter the place where madness enters your soul
27-06-2005 21:19
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

-synths: computer made sounds
and jsut must be just i think Wink
-eqing: setting the volume for low tones, mid tones and hi tones
-low end: bass
-cymbal crash: that hi sounding drum thing (tssshhhh, or something like that)

__

27-06-2005 21:53 Homepage of Friscko
Hypoxic Hypoxic is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-1578.jpg

Registration Date: 10-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
someone suggested to me once that you u should go through your vinyl one by one and use a keyboard (play a long) and find the root note to each record, this way you cna get an idea which tracks have similar pitches (im talkiing music not bpm!!!!) and therefore will make it easier to select..so ya tracks should flow easier....havent got round to trying it yet, but it should work, providing u stay in one style of music (which most djs do) obviously theres going to ba a bit of variation due to the fact when u changr the speed the pitch/tuning changes as well....but not to much.
so all ya got to do is run through ya vinyl and write down whats what. i.e. if its a c or an e etc etc etc etc

if anyone tries this let me know how it turns out

this works great with trance not sure about dnb haven't mixed it much yet,
the tracks don't have to be in the same key, the trick
is to find out which keys go together, like a chord on a gtar i guess.

__
There is no now like now!

www.myspace.com/hypoxicmusic
11-01-2006 14:14 Homepage of Hypoxic
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

quote:
double drop- usually refers to when one bassline is playing, and the second record drops on top of it, playing 2 basslines (and when in teh same key sounds sick as fuck) works better with jsut synths and stuff though...not good when two basslines play...can damage speakers...

ahhh thats what it is... i thought so.
on New Years Day i was racin off my tits and came home at 5 am
and jumped on my dex, and i was in the zone i tells ya.
i was mixing Menace by chase n status into Filth Bath by evol intent and filth bath came up to the break... and i had menace intro beat goin on beat, then they built up and drop'd at the same time, sounded so sweet i almost had a seizer.

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks
17-01-2006 00:23 Homepage of anf0 D
hookerz hookerz is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 19-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
OK BUD...im not one to boast...but im a top notch Dj...and almsopt all my skills behind decks are flawless...Here are some pointers....

Roll Eyes

__
29/01 Stealth Bombers @ Entrepot, Brugge
03/02 Student Night @ Culture Club
04/02 Arcade @ Herstel
12/02 Drop! @ Db, Utrecht
16/02 Steam & decadance, Gent
18/02 Sinister Soundz @ 't Ongeluk, Bxl
19/02 Rampage @ ICC, Gent
24-01-2006 16:13
BassFacial

Registration Date: 04-08-2005

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
someone suggested to me once that you u should go through your vinyl one by one and use a keyboard (play a long) and find the root note to each record, this way you cna get an idea which tracks have similar pitches (im talkiing music not bpm!!!!) and therefore will make it easier to select..so ya tracks should flow easier....havent got round to trying it yet, but it should work, providing u stay in one style of music (which most djs do) obviously theres going to ba a bit of variation due to the fact when u changr the speed the pitch/tuning changes as well....but not to much.
so all ya got to do is run through ya vinyl and write down whats what. i.e. if its a c or an e etc etc etc etc

if anyone tries this let me know how it turns out

A better idea is just to train your ear and play you records enough to know. Completely cut out the middle man they call Thought. It's pretty obvious if two track are going to be dissonant, what catches me by supprise are the little production problems between tracks, like snares phase cancelling each other or the hell of a two basslines (one with even harmonic distortion, the other with odd) playing together.
16-03-2006 06:07
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by Nosrac
Considering drum and bass has been mixed by dj's for over a decade, every single dj out there should have flawless mixing skills, that's a given. As the scene developed here in Toronto in the early 90's you could hear that some dj's were better than others until about 1998 when they all reached a plateau. Since then, if your mixing skills aren't flawless you're not a dj, and if they are, its nothing special. To be something special you have to produce and spin your own tracks with the best of them and have them sound as good if not better.

that really does make a lot of sense Bigup

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
17-03-2006 00:38 Homepage of baz
sicko sicko is a male
Cool Steppa

Registration Date: 29-10-2004

Well if you look at the scene in general then i wouldn't say that flawless mixing is the key ! I've heard far to many sets (especially the "big" dj's) where there was an occassional mistake and to be honest at that moment it didn't bothered me at all! If there is a vibe and quality tunes then the occassional error doesn't bother me at all. And if you are dancing and giving it all you got then you wouldn't probably even notice (exception to the rule -> absolute trainwrecking) .

Just my two cents on the topic ...

It's all about having fun and giving it all you've got Cool
06-04-2006 16:33 Homepage of sicko
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by sicko
Well if you look at the scene in general then i wouldn't say that flawless mixing is the key ! I've heard far to many sets (especially the "big" dj's) where there was an occassional mistake and to be honest at that moment it didn't bothered me at all! If there is a vibe and quality tunes then the occassional error doesn't bother me at all. And if you are dancing and giving it all you got then you wouldn't probably even notice (exception to the rule -> absolute trainwrecking) .

Just my two cents on the topic ...

It's all about having fun and giving it all you've got Cool

right on sicko ; it's all about the vibe Woot

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by baz: 16-04-2006 12:04.

16-04-2006 12:03 Homepage of baz
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3]
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » mixing questions