drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » mixing questions
Go to the bottom of this page mixing questions
Author
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

Anybody else have a their own thing goin' on when it comes to Tech settings? Any tips, useless information?
Thanks Surora23. I'm bustin my arm heights at 6 now. Seems like my needle doesn't bend so much when grooveridin. America ... fuck yeah!! Just kiddin.
07-01-2005 05:19 Homepage of zebediah
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

allright, here is how it should be done according to my tt manual (not a technics, but the principles are the same).

Step 1: mount the cell + needle on the tonearm.
Step 2: turn the weight to the end, then slowly move it forward until the tonearm is floating in balance.
Step 3: turn the ring to zero (be carefull not to move the weight while doing this), then turn it further until u reach the weight mentioned in ur needle's manual (mostly around 3gramm, but different for every needle)
Step 4: unlock hight setting ring, and adjust it untill the tonearm is perfectly parallel to the turntable, lock hight ring again.
Step 5: antiskate setting. Now this depends on how u use your turntable. What anti-skate does is minimize the inward force on the needle caused by the counterweight. This will reduce the wear of your needles and records. If u use your tables for turntablism, scratching, backspinning etc. it is best to set it to 0 because when ur record is rotating counterclockwise, instead of reducing the force on your needle and record, it will increase. If u use your TT's for regular beatmatching, mixing, spinning u should set it to the same number as your weight.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 07-01-2005 19:03.

07-01-2005 19:01 Homepage of djfreemc
peet
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

just sharing my setting

anti skating at 3.5
weight differntial also at 3.5

i was told the skating and differential should be pretty much the same.

you can shift around with these numbers though. sometimes you feel your needle doesnt need to be so low on there, then just put it at 2.5 and the skating likewise.

oh and also never forget to set these things right. i had to perform last month and totally forgot it and they were set at 0!! i was playing and it was skipping beats and shit and i was like what the fuck so i had to try and mix something which wasnt mixable and then i set the weight of the table right in the middle of my set. shit.

__

07-01-2005 22:40 Homepage of peet
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
are you gusy being serious? cause that really makes me feel good...when i said top notch i didnt mean like dsl here...i know im good (just keepin my own spirits up) but im not taht good...am I? im being serious now?

if you have to ask, what do you think?

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

08-01-2005 04:23 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by peet
just sharing my setting

anti skating at 3.5
weight differntial also at 3.5

i was told the skating and differential should be pretty much the same.

you can shift around with these numbers though. sometimes you feel your needle doesnt need to be so low on there, then just put it at 2.5 and the skating likewise.

oh and also never forget to set these things right. i had to perform last month and totally forgot it and they were set at 0!! i was playing and it was skipping beats and shit and i was like what the fuck so i had to try and mix something which wasnt mixable and then i set the weight of the table right in the middle of my set. shit.

TO be honest i really dont know...i find my mixes at this point in time to 100% all the time be flawless which is a necessity but it wasnt sarcasm...i want honest feedback, not questions for answers... Tongue

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

08-01-2005 05:19
zebediah
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

Crying
08-01-2005 07:42 Homepage of zebediah

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by zebediah
Anybody else have a their own thing goin' on when it comes to Tech settings? Any tips, useless information?
Thanks Surora23. I'm bustin my arm heights at 6 now. Seems like my needle doesn't bend so much when grooveridin. America ... fuck yeah!! Just kiddin.

ROFL hahahaha

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

09-01-2005 06:06
@1$-)
unregistered
yknow theres nothing worse than some tit behind the decks that cuts the tunes quickly......borrrrrrrringggggggg!!!!!!!!!!
anyone can beat match.its easy.the trick is being a selector..finding tunes which work together!!! and keeping them in the mix is a skill in itself...sometimes it can get to messy...but there in lies the skill....knowing where and when to cut it.
i like smooth flowing mixes myself...but agin it aint worth shit if the selection is poor.
05-05-2005 03:35

Helpfulness rating: 

true that...quick cuts suck...and if the selection sucks its cause tou have a dumbass dj...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

05-05-2005 04:01
@1$-)
unregistered
someone suggested to me once that you u should go through your vinyl one by one and use a keyboard (play a long) and find the root note to each record, this way you cna get an idea which tracks have similar pitches (im talkiing music not bpm!!!!) and therefore will make it easier to select..so ya tracks should flow easier....havent got round to trying it yet, but it should work, providing u stay in one style of music (which most djs do) obviously theres going to ba a bit of variation due to the fact when u changr the speed the pitch/tuning changes as well....but not to much.
so all ya got to do is run through ya vinyl and write down whats what. i.e. if its a c or an e etc etc etc etc

if anyone tries this let me know how it turns out

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by utter muppet: 05-05-2005 04:59.

05-05-2005 04:57
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
i like smooth flowing mixes myself...but agin it aint worth shit if the selection is poor.

i think you sould still hear the difference between tracks.
techno mixes mostly are mixed too perfectly, so you dont hear any changes.
It's one of the things i like about dnb, the diversity..

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
05-05-2005 15:30 Homepage of Friscko

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
someone suggested to me once that you u should go through your vinyl one by one and use a keyboard (play a long) and find the root note to each record, this way you cna get an idea which tracks have similar pitches (im talkiing music not bpm!!!!) and therefore will make it easier to select..so ya tracks should flow easier....havent got round to trying it yet, but it should work, providing u stay in one style of music (which most djs do) obviously theres going to ba a bit of variation due to the fact when u changr the speed the pitch/tuning changes as well....but not to much.
so all ya got to do is run through ya vinyl and write down whats what. i.e. if its a c or an e etc etc etc etc

if anyone tries this let me know how it turns out

notes dont have a single thing to do with good flowing tracks...you could ahve 2 tracks that are completely off key from eachother, and with the right atmosphere and mix, itd be perfect...besides that keyboard sghit sounds liek too much work...you should know youre records anyway...i know everydrop kick, hat, etc on everysingle one of my records...its about knwoing the music...not the notes...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

05-05-2005 18:08
@1$-)
unregistered
well yeah they do, if two tracks are in the same key they wil workl well together, and you can end up with double drops, and basslines which can run at the same time.
by finding the root notes of a track then you find the key, so the more tracks you have in the same key the easier the set will flow.

your not a musician are you.
05-05-2005 18:31

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
well yeah they do, if two tracks are in the same key they wil workl well together, and you can end up with double drops, and basslines which can run at the same time.
by finding the root notes of a track then you find the key, so the more tracks you have in the same key the easier the set will flow.

your not a musician are you.

musician no...andi know exactly what you mean...i do alot of my mixes that way...but there are technics you obviously dont knwo about...you dont douible drop bass, you have to cut the low end almost completely on the first record to do that...but thats not a necessity...keys cna be off and you can still hav ea nice smooth mix...ill be more than happy to send youa few of my mixes to prove it... uve been djing for almost 4 yrs now producing for one...so i know what im doing when it comes tomixing...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

05-05-2005 19:09
@1$-)
unregistered
you mean youve never found two b lines that work perfectly together??? ive got a ton of these, yeh u will have to cut frequencies but it is possible.
ive been a musician since i was twelve, dj ing since i was sixteen (8 yrs ago) and producing for around four, sorry im making this sound like a contest. Big Grin
your rightt that keys can be off and still have a smooth mix but theres nothing quite like having a set which runs perfectly in every sense, and it makes it easier to work more vocal stuff into darker ruffneck styles
05-05-2005 19:26
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
you mean youve never found two b lines that work perfectly together???

Drumsound + sbs - Nightmares (b of reverence)
vs.
Andy C + Shimon - Bodyrock

__

05-05-2005 20:28 Homepage of Friscko
@1$-)
unregistered
the original of ska with pretty much all the tunes off that samba ep that v recordings put out.
09-05-2005 21:32
Sub-Skit Sub-Skit is a female
Sexy Steppa

Registration Date: 26-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Heh, mixing for 3.5 months now and when I read all of this I don't know shit what you all talking about Confused (ok some things I recognize but ya get the picture), you get depressed when reading this! Roll Eyes

__
Enter the place where madness enters your soul
27-06-2005 14:12
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

how do you mean?

__

27-06-2005 14:56 Homepage of Friscko
Sub-Skit Sub-Skit is a female
Sexy Steppa

Registration Date: 26-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I mean root notes? wtf? eum double drop (think I know what it is but not for sure....) Cutting? Percusion? cue points? Makes me feel like a idiot... I'm like , i want to learn really a lot but find it a bit embarrising to ask such questions cauze it's all so obvious for all you guys.
But I am already proud of myself I fixed all my troubles with my gear, man if you talk about 'wet van murfy' I had my share 3 months ago!!!!! Was like , man why did a want to start mixin'? Really nothing worked and then I'm not talking about putting two records together yet ... Big Grin
Actually what were you guys first mixing experiences? (I hell would never forget mine, would have pulled my hear out of my head...)

__
Enter the place where madness enters your soul
27-06-2005 15:16
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » mixing questions