Author
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

there seem to be a lot more dnb records with shorter intros,stabby quirky
melodies etc.. and as i buy new records I find diffucult or uncomfortable
to mix these (especially the darker harder stuff)
Now, I know that there are no hard and fast rules to how 2 records are blendid, mixed, cut. Its all about flow withiin the set. But it doesnt feel right waiting until the last 8 bars of rec 1 before starting rec 2 . I mean sometimes its alright, sharp blends....
I guess I'm just lookin for some kind of deeper DnB transition or programing theory, disscussion, advice anything.
I've been hunting forums and sites for 4 hours and all the advice is geared toward kids that can't beatmatch yet. Granted b-matching can be difficult. But it doesn't mean crap if a dj can't program good mixes and good sets. So if anyones out there, please let me know your take on ADVANCED DnB mixing and programing techniques.

__
SAVE THE SL1200
20-12-2004 09:19
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

OK BUD...im not one to boast...but im a top notch Dj...and almsopt all my skills behind decks are flawless...Here are some pointers....

1. Most intros made now are usuallly a little longer with no breaks but have a slight percusion (like a hi hiat or an eq'ed drumline with no kick in it) These serve as your mixing points...I assume you know how to beat match right? OK...well once you have youre pitch set, drop the first hit of the percusion (or start at the beginning of the record and wait for the percusionn) ON the next Cue point...after about 32 counts it will drop in, (but keep your low knob down so the bass doesnt drown out the enxt record) then make it a nice slow mix in... (awesome shti comes from doing this... I can send you a mix of mine if you contact me thorugh PM)

2. OR these records are made to thrown in at the very very end of a track...a nice solid mix out, BUT as soon as its out it drops heavy again...(this adds a bit of suspense toa crowd) (so they are beggining set tracks, or enders)

3. Check out www.kaizenrecords.com <<those guys have everything you cna immagine...check out for sure, and you cna lsiten to like 3-4 mins of each trck...

Cheers bruv...hope that helped

(stateside junglist! BOH!)

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

20-12-2004 18:10
zebediah
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

Try throwing in some intro right when the breakdown drops. Should sound nice if the intro is short and is the same length as the breakdown in the last tune. Obviously there are no rules to mixing but sometimes it gets kinda stale when you hear a tune playin out 2 long. Definitely dont wait for the last 8 bars to mix that tune in.
quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
im a top notch Dj...and almsopt all my skills behind decks are flawless

Like whoa!!
20-12-2004 21:19 Homepage of zebediah

Helpfulness rating: 

haha zeb is that a compliment? cheers if it is!

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

20-12-2004 22:03
peet
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

haha surora we all know you're a top-notch dj who could easily run for the best mixdj awards and win, you don't have to mention that dude Wink ;D

no but for real. i think youre talkin about jump up records here. well the key is that these are best if you just drop m in right after the last drop of the other records. at least that works great with me.

take your time to get m beatmatched, then mix the intro's, and then BANG, drop m.

or double drop m.

__

20-12-2004 22:47 Homepage of peet

Helpfulness rating: 

are you gusy being serious? cause that really makes me feel good...when i said top notch i didnt mean like dsl here...i know im good (just keepin my own spirits up) but im not taht good...am I? im being serious now?

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

20-12-2004 23:10
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

thanx 4 tha input.
oh and I'm not talkin' specifically 'bout jump up. Just longer intros b4 tha bass really kicks in.

__
SAVE THE SL1200
20-12-2004 23:38
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

Considering drum and bass has been mixed by dj's for over a decade, every single dj out there should have flawless mixing skills, that's a given. As the scene developed here in Toronto in the early 90's you could hear that some dj's were better than others until about 1998 when they all reached a plateau. Since then, if your mixing skills aren't flawless you're not a dj, and if they are, its nothing special. To be something special you have to produce and spin your own tracks with the best of them and have them sound as good if not better.

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page
20-12-2004 23:44 Homepage of Nosrac
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

I didn't really mean 10 sec. mixes of last 8 bars. It just feels that way when your in the mix, really workin' those 2 trx.
then suddenly it's over
and I am sad
and want to cry Frown

__
SAVE THE SL1200
20-12-2004 23:47

Helpfulness rating: 

Nosrac thats the ebst input that ive heard in awhile! CHEERS! Bigup Bigup Bigup

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

21-12-2004 00:01
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

as far as production goes I am currently working on a few trx of differnt genres. I started playing the mandolin at 7. guitar by 12. bass and some percussion by 16. classically trained, in and out of high skool bands, didn't want to rely on others, went to a party, found my place...blah blah blah. We've all heard this type of storie 1000 x, but for a lot of us musicians turned dj, turned producer (musician) its a natural progression.
and believe me when I am as good with my productions as I am with a classcal guitar, I will begin the next step.
As for my mixing. I am very technically proficient. Nosrac is right about ''DJs'' needing to have flawless mixing skills.
But thats not what I'm looking for. What I'm really looking for is input on the theory of the flow. Like I said in the first post, you could b the most technically proficient dj, junglist... etc in the universe, but it doesn't mean crap if you don't program the mixes and sets well. You could be scratchin'
your arse on that 1200, but it won't matter if you don't put mixes in the right place and the right order.
We've all walked into a room, headliner or not chilled 4 a minute, thought
''eh thats alright!'' and moved on. IT WAS THE FLOW
And we've walked into a room that we just could not leave. IT WAS THE FLOW.
Its all music which all has a theory behind it. Maybe not a theory as stuctered as the ''minomixolydian mode'' 4 example. But it's there.
Again I understand that it's all subjective/arbitrary. I just wanted to hear other junglists feelings on the mixing and programming ''flow theory''.
sorry it was so long, but much thanks if you made it this far

__
SAVE THE SL1200
21-12-2004 01:16
Nasty&Twisted Nasty&Twisted is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1124.jpg

Registration Date: 21-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

quote:
Originally posted by Nosracif your mixing skills aren't flawless you're not a dj, and if they are, its nothing special. To be something special you have to produce and spin your own tracks with the best of them and have them sound as good if not better.

not entirely true is it now? People like Andy C, Zinc, Friction, Marky stand out of the rest of the dj's because of their dj-skills, there creativity behind the decks. True some people get booked because of there productions or there big name and suck as dj's, in my opinion you should online be booked because of your skill behind the decks.
21-12-2004 20:10
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

there is much more to proper mixing then simple beat matching. I think its good that more tracks are starting with beats it doesnt give the wannabe dj the option of atmospheric mixing. Big Grin
21-12-2004 21:31

Helpfulness rating: 

for a flow you have to develope your own style of mioxing...are you gonna play jazzy stuff...are yougonna play soem sinnister shit...(dont make sets before you paly live, unless its a demo) otherwise you arent reading the crowd...but again you have to develope a style...cause if you go from some jump up track to like Invid (peopel are gonna be like wtf) and some peopel will like it and others wont...you have to knwo youre true style of play and evolve around taht... Bigup

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

21-12-2004 21:56
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

As far as style goes, my boxes aren't too eclectic. some jazz step (big bud,
peshay,Omni trio etc) some older jump up (aphrodite,dream team etc)
What I tend to buy the most of comes from the likes of concord dawn, Dillinja, lemon D, Dylan, Loxy, Hive, Ben Sage,Tech Itch, AK1200, DslBoy
etc,etc,etc....
I like to start off with something like dillinjas ''Ride'', a couple of dececent rollers built into a darker reece. Maybe a decent hiphop rmx here or there.
And I love mixing in female vocal tracks like Sleepless, love storie, or that ''Ain't Armand'' track before really letting the hammer drop.
This is a generic out line, but you get the idea.
The thing is, I don't want it too be too formulaic. While retaining my love/grit, heartache/Bass Morrissey meets Dillinja with 2 parts haunting female
voice. A dash of dirty and blend smooth style.
And I don't preplan sets, I'd rather be in the moment.
I'm looking to others in the know for thier OPINION on set structure/mix flow. That doesn't mean I'll take it as the gospel, but it will help to keep my mind open, and give me a broader understanding.
I think that one of the big things that seperates a punter from a proffesional
is the love that drives the pro to keep asking Q's, digging deeper, searching thier soul, and others. Attaining a higher understanding of anything is never easy, but I didn't get into this cause I thought it would be.
so what are some of y'alls opininions for keeping toes tappin', heads bouncin', hearts happy.

learnknowadaptgrowlearnknwadaptgrowpaytaxdie

__
SAVE THE SL1200
22-12-2004 04:21

Helpfulness rating: 

fallow the crowd bruv...that simple...some crowds are harder than other...but stick to yoru style..find how you like to roll those beats...learn those smooth mixes (a good crowd can tell a smooth mix from a chopy one) and feed off what they go crazy for...thast what makes you a good dj...when you can send peple the bar...get driunks..and bring em back for the dance of their life...tahts how you keep em coming and form yourself...go for it man... Bigup

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

23-12-2004 04:44
peet
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
are you gusy being serious? cause that really makes me feel good...when i said top notch i didnt mean like dsl here...i know im good (just keepin my own spirits up) but im not taht good...am I? im being serious now?

omg dude ignorance?

Huh

__

27-12-2004 13:45 Homepage of peet

Helpfulness rating: 

hahaha soz Pleased

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

01-01-2005 01:01
zebediah
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

I have a mixing question: What are the PROPA settings for my Techs? I'm talking about arm height + anti skate mostly. I have the Ortofon DJs in the banana style weighed correctly if that makes a difference. My buddy Little Flame and I have been fightin non stop about what we think is the right way and it's about time we clear tings up. Everytime I ask bout antiskate I get a different answer. I was told by the guy or guys from Dominion Order that they should be at 3. So I switched ... but then I asked some other DJs + they said "Keep em at 0!" What the hey?!?!?!?!?
(Edit) I must add that I find it easier 2 spin with the Anti Skate turned up on my set up, but on my other friends set up I feel like it's better at "0."

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by zebediah: 05-01-2005 19:56.

05-01-2005 03:19 Homepage of zebediah

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by zebediah
I have a mixing question: What are the PROPA settings for my Techs? I'm talking about arm height + anti skate mostly. I have the Ortofon DJs in the banana style weighed correctly if that makes a difference. My buddy Little Flame and I have been fightin non stop about what we think is the right way and it's about time we clear tings up. Everytime I ask bout antiskate I get a different answer. I was told by the guy or guys from Dominion Order that they should be at 3. So I switched ... but then I asked some other DJs + they said "Keep em at 0!" What the hey?!?!?!?!?
(Edit) I must add that I find it easier 2 spin with the Anti Skate turned up on my set up, but on my other friends set up I feel like it's better at "0."

ok heres what you do...or what i do and have found to be most comfortable...i even change the teable settings when i go out and play but i also have diff needles and it depends on your needles... i use stanton track mastaer 2 roger sanchez version exlcusive for beat mixing...better than ortofon IMO but thats me but anyway check it....

First set your weight...put the tone weight all the way at the end, and slwly rotate it till the needle just barely touches the record and set the ring to 0... then rotate it one and one quarter turns....then set your turn table height all the way to 6, and the antiskate to 3... if you mix drum'n'bass you dont want your table to constantly jump grooves...this happens in dnb often cause you constantly want to mix fast (sometimes atleast)... if you use these settings your table should work beautifully...

but as far as the anti-skate goes i put it at 3 and if you have the new technics put it at 6... the anti skate adds a tiny bit of pressure on the tone arm which helps it stay level in the groove....this prevents it from skipping... <b>HOWEVER</b> if you dont correctly weight the tone arm you can do some serious damage to your needles and records...keep that in mind...hope that helps! Bigup

P.S. if 0 feels comfortable on their set up..its cause you are using their neeldes and their calabrations...its all different factors...so it all depends really...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Surora23: 05-01-2005 21:15.

05-01-2005 21:12
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » mixing questions