drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » To get yourself going...
Go to the bottom of this page To get yourself going...
Author
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

Ripped it mercilessly from spinwarp.com who ripped it equally mercilessly from dogsonacid.com.
Enjoy these tips, they might come in handy at inspirationless moments.

Filtered for quality and tidied up for YOU:

Gated Reverb Without a Gate

Put together a phat break, doin' all your EQ'ing, compressing, what-ever.

at the final stage when yer just about ready to resample it, slap yer best reverb ontop of it, but use a bit more(and a slightly longer tail) then you normally would....

Now drop the tempo in your sequencer down to like 50bpm
and resample the break with all that extra space between yer hits.

Now chop the break up again, and load it back into your sampler.

Now play with the ADSR on the individual hits. You can control the amount/decay-curve of the reverb much more easily then if you were using an actual gate and sending everything to multiple channels.

Build Up Effect.

Load a short sample into a sampler

Set the sample so that it loops while pressing the note until you release it

set the slide option on (or portamento)

set the slide time to more than 2 seconds

now play your root note say C1 then play C3

i hope it helps

Oldschool Timestretch Tip:

load a sample into your sampler (hard or soft, it doesnt matter).

map velocity to sample position.

filll up 8 bars (or whatever) with short notes, 32nds, 16ths, 64ths, make a funky pattern if you like.

draw a ramp of the velocity from 0 at the start to 127 at the last note...

this will accurately timestretch any sample to any amount of bars you like, regardless of the original tempo of the sample. it can also be fun on breaks (run them backwards, stretch the kick over a bar, etc,) - also try randomising the velocities for some random sounds.

Effecting Returns From Delays

effecting returns from delays and/or reverbs can create some fucking wicked effects. try flanging a reverb, or putting a comb filter on a delay (i did this recently on a pad i made and it sounded fucking lovely).

Bassline Frequencies

Basically when you make a bassline.. its always good to jot down the original note of the sample and its respective frequency. Once you have done that, its easier in the mixdown stage to get more bass presence (if you need it) to raise the harmonic intervals of that bass sound with the EQ.. which creates a psychoacoustic effect that there is more bass.. when there isnt. This technique can be used when you feel like raising just the bass EQ itself will screw up/muddy up the mix. Just be careful it doesn't clash with the melodies, pads, leads etc when you're boosting the upper harmonics of a bass tone.. in fact.. when you're designing your sounds its good to note the original notes and freqs of ALL the sounds.... use a freq analyzer to get precise wid it and have at it.

Rolling Percussion Lines

u can make some nice liquidish, flowing, rolling percussion lines by taking rhythm loops of some sort - old funk breaks, sample cd loops, hell, even whole tunes - no particular need to choose something designed for dnb either. wack it to the correct tempo - it wont matter if the quality of your time-stretching isnt great, although recycling is still probably best

then fuck with a load of plugins, basically. particular winners include:

phasers (especially with stereo field action)
spectral autopanner
comb filters
tempo synced (filter) delays
bitcrush/distortion
or pretty much anything you feel like

then the key - hipass filter, really rather high cutoff, decent amount of resonance too... turning the whole loop into nothing but hat/shaker territory. best if you can find a filter with some sort of envelope follower (favourites: filtrator, littleduck), if not, then an lfo will do. or use both if possible for even more variation. then a dash of reverb obviously.

you should now have a swishy rhythmic loop layer type thing... if you get lucky with the combination of your initial loop and the right tempo-based lfo filter mod or amp env-following filter mod, you can sometimes stumble onto a fucking NICE loop, with fantastic little whooshy sweepy things in it. other days... it sounds like arse...

if its got a bit too messy and cluttered at this stage you can tighten it up with a gapper or better yet a programmable rhythmgate such as the scuzzphut6. and if then it sounds too tight and stuttery you can obviously start all over again making it more rolling and liquid by adding further delay / reverb.

That "Roni Size" Ducked White-noise Snare Sound in Software.

I had read that huge snare sound came from keying the snare to some white-noise via a gate.

Anyone else who has tried to set-up a keyed gate in cubase or the like will feel me on this, It's HUGE pain....possible to do but not very quickly or efficiently...

SO........

run yer snare to a seperate out and use a send so you've got it on one of the group channels. Now slap a vocoder on the group channel and set it to carrier to "white- noise".

Baddabing, badda bang....

Oh, and running a send of yer whole drum track to a vocoder can have some very kewl results as well.....see, above.....

Use the Delay Parameter to Make Your Rhythms Sound More Life Like

My tip is to use the delay parameter to make your rhythms sound more life like. I am not talking about echo, tape delay or delay lines just so you're not confused. It is a well know funk trick to apply some negative delay to your snares (+ve delay makes sounds later, -ve delay makes them earlier) so they sound rushed and urgent. Hats often like a touch of negative delay too. Put delay on the kick drum to make it sound dragged and laid back. In house music the main offbeat snare sounds simultaneously with the kick drum. If you use this technique it means the snare will hit just before the kick which sounds rude. As with many production tips, be careful not to do too much. A bit of delay in your bassline will put the attack just after the kick drum so that they won't sound simultaneously preserving precious headroom in the bass region.

Happy funkin!

Peace

Envelope Volumes On Hits

Try volume envelopes on your individual drum hits rather than compression on your whole break

Synth Patches

Try to duplicate a patch/program from one synth on another. First, this is a good way to learn synth programming, second, this is a good way to learn the sound of a particular synth, as in most cases, even if you duplicate the signal path exactly, they will sound different, third, because they sound different yet similar, you can use this to create complementary parts, vary the sound in subtle ways other than just modulating filters and such.

Use Ring Modulators

if you've not had the pleasure before then try running a distorted bass sound through a ring modulator plugin (the basic ones in most sequencers are fine)

Sidechaining Synths To Percussion Lines in Logic

This is well known but no one has mentioned it so fuckit. load up a synth patch and record some melody in your sequencer. Then Load up a Noise Gate or Autofilter on the synth track and choose your drums/hi hats/bongo tracks as the sidechain source. Do abit of tweaking and you should come out with some good results. Also sidechaining Your basslines to your drums via autofilter can create some sick twisted blines

Another Logic Trick This Time Utilising the Tremelo Plugin

The default tremelo patch is an auto panner and you can use this to create a variety off pulsating fx by crossfading between 2 seperate aux objects....

Load up a pad sound or something similar in an audio/audio instrument track. Next load up the logic tremelo plugin onto a stereo buss and make sure the bus's audio output routing is empty. Then feed 2 stereo aux objects panned hard left and right respectivley, from this bus object. Now route both Auxs to another bus this time in Mono which then feeds the mix normally. Feeding the stereo buss from a channel causes audio to sweep between the 2 aux channels each of which can be given different Eq/Modulation settings etc. The Mono buss object then combines the 2 aux channels into a singal channel which can be panned to match the original source if required.

Been using this ALOT latley..infact i have my autoload file in logic setup for this so i dont have to go through the process each time

EDIT: Logic Tremolo is FUCKING BADASS. It's basic but that tempo lock feature is glorious. I use it in every tune.

Wobbly Bass

Start with a multi layer hooverish bass and LFO all of the above-sub layers on a high pass filter to 3/16th notes (or whatever your fancy) and adjust the amounts of the LFOs from the bottom layers up going from least to most....

it makes the highs of the bass the most wobbley and the lows steady...works nicely for rolling but grungy bass

Large Snares

here's a nice tip for cracking, larger than life snares inna 80s-influenced style... basically it's just jon's tip about vocoding a snare with noise but with a really fat, diffused reverb thrown in

just send some of your snare signal to a group channel containing a reverb followed by a vocoder with a white noise carrier, followed by a multiband compressor (or similar) + EQ (with a fairly drastic bell curve), all panned quite wide

really lifts a snare up + gives it impact

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
12-12-2004 15:47 Homepage of Soi
Polar Freq Polar Freq is a male
Hounmingootod

images/avatars/avatar-545.jpg

Registration Date: 06-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

nice!!! im going 2 save this txt...
nice .. nice.. nice..
thnx man

__
-Emotions are social illusions.
-What i did not do, i could have not done.
-Art is a kind of public masturbation.
-I am only, my genes tool.
-damjan cd
i have a zen touch and muad'Dib has a girlfriend......everyones happy
12-12-2004 17:54 Homepage of Polar Freq
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » To get yourself going...