drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » keeping beatz fresh
Go to the bottom of this page keeping beatz fresh
Author
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

as i build up my tracks i find my beatzs, especially the snare all start to lose volume as the track unfolds.

i know this is caused by adding synths and bass an stuff, but apart from adding compression and fx and maybe tweaking the volume of every 'hit' - what is there i can do to improve the lasting effect of the beat through my composition??

Cheers for ur comments as always

G

__
My Sounds
09-12-2004 16:18
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

yeah.......I go into the loudest part of the song.........make sure the snare sounds good there.......and keep the snare at that level for the whole song.......that's how I do it anyways!!

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by spudleyq: 09-12-2004 16:25.

09-12-2004 16:25 Homepage of spudleyq
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Same here. I may sound loud in some other parts, but thats good Smile

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

09-12-2004 16:32 Homepage of Surya
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

good to know, cos thats what i've been doin up to this point

cool

G

__
My Sounds
09-12-2004 16:38
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

You can probably fix it by using EQ. Listen which sounds are pushing away the snare and EQ those - lower the frequencies which are shared with the snare drum. The snappiness of the snare is around 3-6kHz, the clang is around 600-700Hz, the thump is around 100-300Hz.

It's better to cut the EQ on the other sounds instead of boosting the EQ on the snare.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
09-12-2004 17:44 Homepage of thechronic
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

cool thanks, it it common practice for people to always inset an eq over the whole track as well as seperate fx on other channels???
is this like blindingly obvious or a mis-understanding??

__
My Sounds
09-12-2004 17:53
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

i eq the seperate channels and then load the finished product into a wave editor to do some final eqin......but that's just me

__

09-12-2004 17:56 Homepage of spudleyq
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

cool could you give me some tip on what'ud do in ur wave editor, sound forhge in my case
cheers
G Bigup

__
My Sounds
09-12-2004 18:15
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

well if the sub bass is kinda low......i raise all the freqs below 200Hz......if the highs aren't high enough i usually raise 2-3kHz and up.......if I get weird artifacts on the low end I do a slight hum removal......sometimes the dynamic range is too high and I get odd peaks that peak waaaay higher than the rest of the wave.......so I give it a soft clip so I can maximize the sound more effectively.......it's really just tweak and twitch.......i mean i haven't taken any courses or anything but over the years i've learned as much as possible......i've read tons of books on musical theory and sound processing and keyboards and the creation of synthesizers and i've taken a couple electronics classes to learn the basics of most of the field........i suggest reading though.......books are very helpful and you can find hundreds of books about audio processing

__

09-12-2004 19:14 Homepage of spudleyq
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

yes i think you have a valid point. there's lots to be gained from reading a few books covering the basis.
do you recommend any in particular or do i just use 'audio processing' as keywords in findiing the right books??

chhers man

G

__
My Sounds
09-12-2004 19:17
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

heres the thing. the snare sits in an area of the frequency spectrum that is very pleasing so we tend to put other things on top of it and the harder we push them the softer the snare will sound. best to eq the leads so the fit around the snare and round off anything other than the bass, kick, snare, and hats at around 100 hz to keep things from getting muddy. also play around with the panorama. the only things that should be in the center of the audio field are bass, kick, snare and hats. by panning other elements you will clear a path for the percusive elements and the bass to push through.
also be sure to run a low end roll off on your reverb buss, reverb tends to muddy up things in the low end and a roll off will make the overall mix sound more bright.
one more thing. play around with the sampler envelopes by cutting the decay and release and boosting the attack of the snare it will be able to cut through the mix much more. same goes for the bass drum. as well as the hats. Bigup
09-12-2004 19:52
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks marisol, lots of things to be tinking about on that one, some very helpful tips and guides

jus one thing though, what do you mean when you say 'run a low end roll off'???

i've learnt lots of techniques on my own and as a result don't know alot of terms for, what at times seems like vey important facts regarding production.
Peace

G

__
My Sounds
09-12-2004 20:02
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

ok a low end roll off is something you can do on the mixing board within fl studio.
say you have your bass, kick, snare, hi hats and filler break taking up fx channels from 1 to 5 and everything else on channels 6 to 10. look at the bottom of each channel from 6 to 10, you will see the output as "master". left click on the "master" icon and change each channel so they are routed to channel 11. now all output from channels 6 to 10 will route to channel 11 then to the master channel. now go to the parametric eq on channel 11 lower the low end fader all the way down, there are 2 dials under that fader. the top one of those 2 adjust the frequency of that fader, when you adjust it you can look to the top left of the screen and it will show you what frequency it is set at. now the dial under frequency dial is the Q adjustment. the Q adjust the slope of the cut. anything under 50% is non aditive anything over 50% and it will boost the frequency just above the cutoff. play around with it. usally a setting of 150hz and a 30 to 45 % Q with a full cut on the fader is a good starting point then adjust by ear so it doesnt start to sound tinny.
09-12-2004 20:18
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

wow! thanks, thats great i've copy'd your post into microsoft word as its full of infomation i can refer to, i got a little manual building up of posts which have contained some really helpful advice n tips that i can gain from.
thanks again marisol

Laterz

G Bigup Bigup

__
My Sounds
09-12-2004 20:43
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by Glimmer
cool thanks, it it common practice for people to always inset an eq over the whole track as well as seperate fx on other channels???
is this like blindingly obvious or a mis-understanding??

I never do one of the whole track, only on each channel

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

10-12-2004 13:18 Homepage of Surya
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » keeping beatz fresh