drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » don't take away my hi hats!!!
Go to the bottom of this page don't take away my hi hats!!!
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by -J-
try searching for full break-loops
and cut them yourself, and listen carefully what they consist of

then ... go search your own sounds and create ur own breaks with what u've learned urself about 'em

nothing as cool as finding all those lil secrets yourself ...

sure hats are important, but if i had to (F.E.!) take Surora's words for it, i'd hat a hihat line that goes TRRRRRRRRRRRT over the whole line

ghosts (snares, toms, hats, etc) are as important as major hits (hats, snares, BD's...etc) and so on and so on. The key is just to be very thoughtful and considered about every hit you put there and think about the place it has and the function that particular hit has in relation to one another, and which place that hit takes in the dynamics of the break ...

maybe a bit of an abstract explanation, but i did my best to say as clear as possible what i wanted to say Smile

thoes ghost snares and toms and such, are much more difficult than any hi hat problem.

constant hat is good for drops, maybe cut them outa bit more sparse in the betweens. really hats do go often, and it's hard to get different tibre from the same sample. the ear precives the high end with much more clarity because there's more freq packed in there. most of the clarity from human speech dervies from high end.

get a bunch of the same hi-hat samples multi-ple times, and get a way of triggering them randomly, suggested 5, because it's harder to notice repeats above that many number of different samples.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

11-01-2006 01:58 Homepage of Halph-Price
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

what i do is high pass, eq, put fx on, and carefully sculpt 3-6 different hat/tambourine/triangle samples into a type of rhythm loop i can use in the background and sometimes layer over that but not all the time. i first heard something like it in the NI dom&roland samplepack and i knew i had to be able to do that shit. it takes practice and at least a vague knowledge of what sounds are fresh and which aren't,f or the job.
11-01-2006 03:00
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

what is velocity, obviously it is how hard the hats are "hit" but in reason for example I cant really notice the difference, just that the volume is louder, I never really use the high velocity (red) thing on Redrum because its too loud really for clipping, but should I be using this for kicks for example, and then turning the volume down if it is clipping?

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
18-09-2006 16:06
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

I've alwayz controlled velocity by manually using the volume of each individual hit of the instrument i want to change..

__
My Sounds
18-09-2006 16:46
quash quash is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 16-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 1.67

an effective way of writing hats is to place a solid big sounding hat as you would a techno beat

then simply fill in the gaps with another hat, maybe one with less punch to create power in the first hat trck

on the second set of hats turn the pitch up and you get that rhythmic aphrodite style
high end. it helps the adjust the decay so they sound nice and tight.

now get a powerfull hat or even a short snare and place in the same place as the first hat row but only on every other one

^ ^

if you want your hats to be clear in the mix then use those top high end frequencies, just make sure you leave space for the high end of the snare.
18-09-2006 17:42
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » don't take away my hi hats!!!