drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » using beat loops, is it right??
Go to the bottom of this page using beat loops, is it right??
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

lp sales have been quite steady latly because of dj's

now dj's use the samples for drum and bass, becasue they don't want to go and do drum sequencing.

or play real drums.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

15-02-2005 17:32 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

The choir sound from Anastasia comes from a Jean Michel Jarre track Smile
And the vocal comes from a moviesoundtrack they lend from the local library Smile
Bassline and drums are also sampled from famous sources, but I don't remember which...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

15-02-2005 17:47 Homepage of Surya
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

hell i just baught some old old oooooold dvd movies for 1.50 CANADIAN, (so that's like 0.75 ERU) sole for taking samples form, and jazz records to get some samples from too.

even if they could never work with sound deformation that i do i can at least use these samples as a "jumping" point. a source of insperation. help get creative.

but i tinhk that's just me, experimenting in dnb.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

15-02-2005 18:04 Homepage of Halph-Price
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

quote:
Originally posted by DjSlut
Well looks like a lot has been said already on this matter. But i thought i should contribute as well, since it is a dilemma that every producer is faced with...

I think its ok to use an unsliced break on three occasions:

- u are starting to produce, and cant make a good beat
- u layer the loop with one shots, in a way that makes them inaudible, unrecognisable
- It's a loop obtained through digging and the original is not dnb related (ie: noone else has used it outside the original track)

Although i think its ok, this probably is not the best option. As the rhythm of ur drums will be restricted to that of the original!Foei Hence slicing and rearranging will give u better results. (if done with care)

With regards to the popular breaks, its more complicated.
Once u know the amen exists u hear it everywhere, and although they vary, the core sound is always similar. Jungle and old school especially over used the amen.d The new school movements cope with this in mainly two ways and rarely use an amen all the way through;
They either vary it up with a few bars of amen follwed by some other break followed by one shots.( u get the point)
Or layer it

Imo both these ways are acceptable. The important thing is that u dont get stuck on relying on these breaks to give your tune power. These days I generally try to write two or three one shot tracks for every track that is based on sliced loops.

My manifesto regarding the matter can be summarized as follws:

Use ALL the methods available to u!!!!!! Slice it, layer it or use just the fills or just a snare. The key is to vary! If it sounds good then it sounds good whether u used and amen or not. (I would much rather listen to a kick ass sliced amen than the static, repetitve sound of badly programmed one shots)

It seems to me that people get stuck on creating their own sound - i try to have as a scope as possible. Chosing not to use a fill or a stab because it doesnt fit ur sound, etc will inevitably limit ur music!
I believe in having "trademarks" rather than "sound". Subtle touches that can be linked with your aproach to producing.

Sorry to ramble but i considerably intoxicated! Big Grin
Beer Beer Beer Drink Drink

*Applauds DJSlut's outstanding grammer, spelling, and punctuation.*

Marvelous, simply marvelous Bigup

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
15-02-2005 20:05 Homepage of spudleyq
Capsacium Capsacium is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 11-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I'll usually use a pre-made loop somewhere in my mix, but I don't put as much value on the 'craft' of it as I would programming a drum machine. Most of the tunes I make have layered breaks with a manually programed drum line making the main body and loops supplementing that. I do think it's cheap to use them without altering them but I'm not against them.
Using a commercial loop doesn't take much skill but actually digging up a drum break-recording it- slicing it and then sequencing it effectively does command some respect.
There can be some major disadvantages to using loops as well. If I have a slice that contains both a hat and a kick I won't be able to turn down just the hat, where with a drum maching I could.
Over all I see loops as a tool in the box to be used at the producers discretion.
15-02-2005 21:37
CosmicDreamer

Registration Date: 14-02-2005

Hey, this seems to be a cool forum, i'm new here (unwrap me Tongue ) anyways lets get into replying right away:

It's absolutely cool to know a good drummer who has a few drum sets (or access to them), then let him drum an hour, different ways and also record sepparate hits including the gate (accoustics of the chamber you're in) , cymbals, snares, toms, if you have even 10 minutes of drummer noise you could chop up loops and have a life time of variation.

even that old james brown or aretha franklin loop can be chopped up into a milion different ways, gated, bit crushed fuzzboxed etc etc Smile

It's soooooo easy to come up with your own rythms if you have a slicer program (like on the korg triton) that slices up loops in different keys. It splits up the waves by the beats that it senses and you can even set the intensity of that, just jam on Smile

and there's something to say about spectra sonic' s backbeat or metamorphosis libraries Smile all pre arranged and chopped up keymaps are available so you can "play" your own loops Smile

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by CosmicDreamer: 15-02-2005 23:31.

15-02-2005 23:22 Homepage of CosmicDreamer
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » using beat loops, is it right??