drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » using beat loops, is it right??
Go to the bottom of this page using beat loops, is it right??
Author
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

whole dnb scene stands on old breaks, almost every pro-dnb producer uses funky loops from 70's if someone thinks that it's easy way i don't think so it's quite science to make it sound properly and dnb-like. but most important thing was already mentioned here be original and be creative no matter if u use single shots or loops

__

12-01-2005 23:30
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

mi kinda of figured, other than the instruments, what really makes the dnb song, is how variations are handled, to keep it insteresting, and keep it going. anyone can loop drums together and do a standard 2 drop, but it's the minor details that make it stand out or stand-back.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

13-01-2005 00:05 Homepage of Halph-Price
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

those loops are never used as loops mostly they are chopped and rearranged

__

13-01-2005 00:12
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

i use to always program drum loops which is fun then you can add all the differnt effects, and tune each fdrum, but it's too much time to get them sound natural and different. even with drum loops there is repatition sound, but not as often.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

13-01-2005 00:14 Homepage of Halph-Price
Samoth Samoth is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-609.jpg

Registration Date: 21-08-2004

Im glad someone else asked this question. Im kinda against using loops for my drums and i've been programming them from scratch but they just dont sound like chopped up beats. Is chopping up loops the only way to get a 'proper' sound? I like the idea of layering a loop over a programmed beat, gonna try that...

__
Death Ur-Sag Zi-Ga-Ni Naphar Ajjabi Sharush! Sa-Par-Mah-Zu Diri La-Magiru Sin Su-La. Spliff
13-01-2005 19:18 Homepage of Samoth
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

it's a really good way, that's a nice in between.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

13-01-2005 19:31 Homepage of Halph-Price
@1$-)
unregistered
if you think your gonna get your tunes sounding pro by using just single hits and drum machines then good luck!!! it aint gonna happen, dnb, breaks, hip hop,trip hop etc.. are all based around the feel and sound of the funk, jazz and soul beats from the fifties,sixties and seventies. Sampling is what the styles are about, how you edit them is what counts. You cant really afford to be blatantly obvious with samples because of copyright. whats wrong with using something old to create something new...? and as for sample cds...burn em!! most of them are complete shite
13-01-2005 20:23
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

quote:
Originally posted by utter muppet
if you think your gonna get your tunes sounding pro by using just single hits and drum machines then good luck!!! it aint gonna happen, dnb, breaks, hip hop,trip hop etc.. are all based around the feel and sound of the funk, jazz and soul beats from the fifties,sixties and seventies. Sampling is what the styles are about, how you edit them is what counts. You cant really afford to be blatantly obvious with samples because of copyright. whats wrong with using something old to create something new...? and as for sample cds...burn em!! most of them are complete shite

Most of them are......but I've found some crazy jewels that are worth keeping.

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
13-01-2005 20:41 Homepage of spudleyq
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

actully i find that inspiring, i was looking for beats to play with...

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

13-01-2005 20:51 Homepage of Halph-Price
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

This is something I 've been puzzling over for ages. For what its worth on principle I hate the idea of sing any kind of loops, and I've never used them in any of my tracks - it probably showed - until my last 'Final Hour' which is still work in progress. And, predictably, using a drum loop made it sound so much better.

So I have two questions: firstly, how can I program in a beat that is comparable in complexity to something like the firefighter loop that is available for download from this site? Thinking about it, that must have been made by someone up on here, so please man, gimme a clue. I ain't lazy, but its just that the sheer complexity of that sound suggests to me that unless someone points me in the right direction, i'm not going to find it.

Secondly, I swear I often hear fairly samey beats in drum'n'bass, outside of the natural likeness imposed by the parameters of d'n'b. So whats the score with the pro's? Do they all program each and every single beat? Am guessing they do, but would be nic to know.

Regards,

Broadside
15-02-2005 01:21
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Actually most of the dnb drums stands on oldskool funk breaks, that are sampled out of the vynils, processed and layered in new fashion.. Using loops in a new creative way is imo okay, it's quite hard to achieve groove of live drummer playing, and this is something loop will help you with. But important thing is to find your own sound and techniques..

actually there is somewhere on doa 101 breakbeat pack that features mostly known and mostly used breaks like amen, apache, tramen, firefight, aligator bugaloo etc..

__

15-02-2005 03:05
tracassasin tracassasin is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-815.jpg

Registration Date: 08-02-2005

i do whatever i want with whatever i want whos the man behind the right end of the gun

__

¬DYNASTY ENTERPRlSE

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tracassasin: 15-02-2005 03:13.

15-02-2005 03:10
DjSlut DjSlut is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 27-08-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

Well looks like a lot has been said already on this matter. But i thought i should contribute as well, since it is a dilemma that every producer is faced with...

I think its ok to use an unsliced break on three occasions:

- u are starting to produce, and cant make a good beat
- u layer the loop with one shots, in a way that makes them inaudible, unrecognisable
- It's a loop obtained through digging and the original is not dnb related (ie: noone else has used it outside the original track)

Although i think its ok, this probably is not the best option. As the rhythm of ur drums will be restricted to that of the original!Foei Hence slicing and rearranging will give u better results. (if done with care)

With regards to the popular breaks, its more complicated.
Once u know the amen exists u hear it everywhere, and although they vary, the core sound is always similar. Jungle and old school especially over used the amen.d The new school movements cope with this in mainly two ways and rarely use an amen all the way through;
They either vary it up with a few bars of amen follwed by some other break followed by one shots.( u get the point)
Or layer it

Imo both these ways are acceptable. The important thing is that u dont get stuck on relying on these breaks to give your tune power. These days I generally try to write two or three one shot tracks for every track that is based on sliced loops.

My manifesto regarding the matter can be summarized as follws:

Use ALL the methods available to u!!!!!! Slice it, layer it or use just the fills or just a snare. The key is to vary! If it sounds good then it sounds good whether u used and amen or not. (I would much rather listen to a kick ass sliced amen than the static, repetitve sound of badly programmed one shots)

It seems to me that people get stuck on creating their own sound - i try to have as a scope as possible. Chosing not to use a fill or a stab because it doesnt fit ur sound, etc will inevitably limit ur music!
I believe in having "trademarks" rather than "sound". Subtle touches that can be linked with your aproach to producing.

Sorry to ramble but i considerably intoxicated! Big Grin
Beer Beer Beer Drink Drink

__
VAS
15-02-2005 04:06
Cool Producer

join the party!

Dance Drummer My Mistake Spliff Spliff Beer Hihi Spliff Drink Shocked Puke Rasta Spliff Booze Rinse Gaga My Mistake

need i say again

__

¬DYNASTY ENTERPRlSE
15-02-2005 04:24
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

your three points were accurate.

i like your style of writing.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

15-02-2005 04:25 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by B-complex
actually there is somewhere on doa 101 breakbeat pack that features mostly known and mostly used breaks like tramen, firefight

Lol, they got both? Big Grin

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

15-02-2005 13:13 Homepage of Surya
wicked_wayz wicked_wayz is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1681.jpg

Registration Date: 19-03-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Lol, they got both? Big Grin

actually no, the pack contains 101 high quality original unpitched/stretched old funk breaks, with original artist and track name. There is no firefight in it. I posted a link here once before to a site that features them all.

I actually use a lot of these old funk breaks (from the 101 pack, cause they are the best quality .wavs i found so far). But it takes some time to remove noise (some old vinyl samples), pitch/stretch, cut up, arrange and add effects, resample etc.

I usually layer them with sample-cd kits (they sometimes got clearer kits, you can't use some downloaded shady drums as your main percussion). Takes me at least 1/2 day to get a break right (or not) Smile )

Anyway, used to be somewhat opposed towards sampling, now I don't care. Result is what matters. Even if you stole it, you can't keep on doing it forever, cause people will get bored, so you need to come up with something original eventually.
15-02-2005 13:52 Homepage of wicked_wayz
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Indeed, nothing wrong with sampeling... You should know where T99 got some of it's samples Wink

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

15-02-2005 14:32 Homepage of Surya
Cool Producer

firefight is always hot

__

¬DYNASTY ENTERPRlSE
15-02-2005 15:09
wicked_wayz wicked_wayz is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1681.jpg

Registration Date: 19-03-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Indeed, nothing wrong with sampeling... You should know where T99 got some of it's samples Wink

you also noticed the comparison between T99's anastacia and Total science's hit, defcom 69? so it's sampled from them too Smile )

also the fact that 3 released tunes this month use the same bob marley accapella (that carries the song in 2 out 3 cases). accapella probably popped up on soulseek or something Big Grin

so i think sampling isn't allways that original... also funny that it seems nobody recognizes the original T99 hit, and all think: wow, total science can make up some crazy leads... while that T99 stab is one of the most recognisable and most famous sounds ever... (same goes for ts's 'squash' btw)

perhaps dnb is riding the 'sampling' train to much... But then again: saw anastacia's videoclip the other day, with big black man in the back, singing 'bin laden a people lalla...' while in fact, it's just a sample, so the guy is just some hired actor to playback the line in the clip. this last is crossing the line i believe, pretending it's not a sample...
15-02-2005 16:52 Homepage of wicked_wayz
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » using beat loops, is it right??