drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » using beat loops, is it right??
Go to the bottom of this page using beat loops, is it right??
Author
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

only sice i've been a member here have i started to incorperate beat loops into my tunes as well as me building a track out of drum kits samples so to speak.

apart from cutting the loop up into 8 or 16ths is there any other way to use them?
take fruity for example, i've always not used loops because i felt it took away alot of the sound that was effectivly me.
i cut up breaks in sound forge now and implement them in fruity only when there is suffuciant material i've all ready handcrafted.
i guess what i'm really saying is ,
can u use a whole 4-beat loops in a tune? Big Grin
is that what people do? Confused
is it right? Frown
am i stupid? Mad
at what point after messing with the loop with effects and re-arranging does it become 'your sound'?

i think we'll have different views on this one but never-the-less i would like to know what you all think.

thanks
G Bigup

__
My Sounds
28-11-2004 16:41
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I only use loops like amenz and samuraiz and stuff

4 beat loops? You mean as in house style? No tnx!

I never use whole loops, always rearange and layer. For my beats, if it's not an amen, I always use one-shot samples.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-11-2004 17:19 Homepage of Surya
arqtic
Tourist

Registration Date: 20-02-2004

quote:
Originally posted by Glimmer
apart from cutting the loop up into 8 or 16ths is there any other way to use them?

well, if you use Recycle (or in your case fruity beatslicer if i'm correct?) you can take some serious advantage of the midi data of your cut up loop.
As you probably allready know, you can create a new break by placing the 'one-shots' of your cut up loop in a different order. Now, if you've got a loop with a fill (going over all the toms and all that) or something you can copy this whole group of midi data and place it somewhere else in your sequencer. This way the flow of the drummer stays intact and you get a less 'drum machine'-feel then when you program the fill with single hits.
If you look closely to a cut up loop in your sequencer, you will notice that the hits are a bit off the grid (because a human drummer's timing isn't 100% perfect). This is what brings the funk to the drumming, use it!

An old school way of programming breaks, which I read somewhere but haven't tried it myself:
Cut up a break and assign groups of slices to different keys as follows:
to one key you assign the whole loop (so when you press it the whole loop plays)
to the next key you assign the whole loop, minus the first slice of the loop
and so on...
so in the example of using an amen:
to the first key u assign the whole loop, to the second key the part from the second kick till the very end of the loop, to the third key the part from the snare till the end of the loop, and so on...
when that's done, you play the different keys and record a new break.

I'm not very good at explaining these things clearly but you can always ask if you want to know something, that's if I can help of course...
quote:
Originally posted by Glimmer
at what point after messing with the loop with effects and re-arranging does it become 'your sound'?
I believe it becomes 'my sound' when i've put a lot of effort into it, mostly by re-arringing and a bit of eq'ing en fx...
28-11-2004 19:00
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

i feel if you take an old school classic break and chop it rework it and lay it into your tune then that is your break simply speeding it up or using a timestretcher isnt really cool imo but if you rework it and come up with somthing wicked then whos to say.
28-11-2004 19:36
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

i only program ALL OF MY DRUMS...i dont really beleive in using loops...amens are hard to program, so using those as surya says isnt bad....but once you learn to do taht, theres not a single reason in the world not to program your own durms...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

29-11-2004 19:47
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

true but you will never know the joy of finding that perfect snare or a bass drum with the perfect snap.
lemmi ask you do you program your own appegiators too Big Grin
29-11-2004 20:18
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

you mean you're not supposed to just put a whole loop over some bass and some synth?

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
29-11-2004 20:33 Homepage of spudleyq
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah, if people just use a loop, they always just loop it, which makes the drums extremely static... and boring.

And yeah, I program my own arps too Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

29-11-2004 20:44 Homepage of Surya
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
And yeah, I program my own arps too

i was being sarcastic. Wink
but agian using a dnb break is not cool. if you wanna chop breaks do it with the classics. dont be lazy.
29-11-2004 21:11
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by marisol
quote:
And yeah, I program my own arps too

i was being sarcastic. Wink
but agian using a dnb break is not cool. if you wanna chop breaks do it with the classics. dont be lazy.

if everyone thought like you though.......there'd be no sample cd's with hundreds of pre-made loops on them Tongue Tongue

__

29-11-2004 21:30 Homepage of spudleyq
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

If I download samples, and they're pre made loops, I chop em up if they're good, but mostly I just delete them instantly Smile

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

29-11-2004 21:42 Homepage of Surya
muphasta muphasta is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1490.jpg

Registration Date: 29-06-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.88

just be original!!!!!!!

cheers

__
muphasta none dnb
www.myspace.com/muphsugar
reggeadubwise.com
Roots-reggea-project: muphsteppa
muphsteppa@reggeadubwise
29-11-2004 21:48
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
if everyone thought like you though.......there'd be no sample cd's with hundreds of pre-made loops on them

which shows you that sample cds are geared towards the amature who doesnt want to work hard at coming up with an original sound. its really just a matter of how hard you wanna work. of course its harder to come up with your own stuff but oh well thats the way it is. and to let you know big producers use those sample cds too. havent you ever wondered why the tracks in heavy rotation all seem to have similar sounds. there are only a handfull of em that produce from the ground up without any samples. using samples doesnt mean the tracks suck it just means you get limited by what samples you have. so dont get on my shiz, I know i have a long way to go before im even ready to start puttin out demos to labels but I know that when i am ready my sound willl be "my sound".
i still use samples for stabs and such but im tryin to ween myself off of them. now when i make a killer break with 1 hits i save it for a later track. Its a nice thing to be able to open up your personal breaks folder and just slap it in with no remorse.
29-11-2004 21:49
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

whoa whoa whoa.......no offense there man.......i was just saying......there's a lot of people who make and use full loops.......and like you were saying......that doesn't make them bad producers.....it just makes em unoriginal....but very quick......it's a lot easier to take a loop of a synth.....add some reverb.......pop it in with some other pre-made loops.....and bang out a track in a few hours.....if not less......there's so many producers out there who learn how to be good simply by putting loops like that together......i personally was never a fan of them.......if I have a loop I usually chop it all up.....but i will admit......sometimes you find those killer hooks that would fit perfectly in your track........and i will admit......i have been known to use them before.......i mean they're there right? why not use em? I'm just doing this for fun man.....i feel no remorse using pre-made loops......i'm not making the track for anyone but myself......and if I was making a track for full release.......i definitely wouldn't be slapping loops together!!!

haha.....i guess it's just laziness......and lack of resources........major lack of resources.....i have no synths.......no drum machines.......just a shitty ass free sequencer with shitty ass effects........listen to some of my songs on here........and tell me if you can tell i'm using ancient software.....but i have mastered it.....and yes.....i do mean mastered.....i know that sounds kind of egotistical.......but i've been using it for 9 years and have read the manual over 10 times......i really need some new software man!!!

__

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by spudleyq: 29-11-2004 22:47.

29-11-2004 22:38 Homepage of spudleyq
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

for layering i stopped using breaks that are cut up after every single hit, instead I use whole pieces of drumloop which program till got the thing sounding how i want Smile

i like too keep the original flow of layered drums Smile

btw i'm not talking abut the main drums here Smile there's no way round building your own!

__

30-11-2004 01:36 Homepage of Emblem-X

Helpfulness rating: 

no i dont program those, partially just casue i dont know how to yet...once i know the idea of it i will....however I DO program my own arpagiator basslines for my trance productions...so? i guess that counts..but it doesnt work the same way for drumnbass

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

30-11-2004 19:51
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

albino has a nice layout for for designing your own arps.
heres a quote from them.
quote:
We included an up to 32 step rhythm arpeggiator with several modes in Albino : up, down, up/down, down/up, as played, random mode and a chord and modulation mode.
It can be retriggered, it can swing with your music and you can mix its step velocity values with the velocity you played the chord. Your own creations can be save or copy/pasted to other presets. Many of the new presets make use of the Arpeggiator and the possibilities are literary endless.
30-11-2004 20:52

Helpfulness rating: 

nice....however i dont have albino...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

30-11-2004 21:08
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

bump.

what about taking an old school hip-hop beat and then chopping it up and speeding up. isn't that how it's properly done in d&b?

must be an old post, Surora doesn't have albino yet, and he's against using loops.

i know thoes both have changed now.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

12-01-2005 21:19 Homepage of Halph-Price
peet
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

i use loops dude
really only to get my drums real rolling and get my hats right
if i would have the energy i'd create 18 different detimed hihat beats but i can't. so i use these dnb loops and get out the snares and kicks. then re-arrange the hihats. and that's it. works great.

__

12-01-2005 23:07 Homepage of peet
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » using beat loops, is it right??