drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » so what sorce controls and causes this??
Go to the bottom of this page so what sorce controls and causes this??
Author
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

when i use my midi keyboard to record using a midi channel in flstudio4, there is a milisecond of delay when playing it back. what device controls an causes it, cant really seem to pinpoint it.
i'm aware that its norrmally a ram, and souncard issue and in this case i have 512ram but i'm using a soundblaster live 1024!! i know i know its not a good card but the speed of my 2.2gig machine should be taking care of thias delay or is it a latency thing? i've got the bar down as low as it wuill go until i hear glitches but i just want some more experienced peeps to advise me Big Grin

I think i saw suyra talkin bout soundcards earlier in the week an i would really like to know a few models priced from £40 - £200 if you know any off hand that is suyra. Wink

jus wanna hear bout other peoples storys on their midi setup and usage Bigup

Cheers
Laterz
G

__
My Sounds
28-11-2004 12:06
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Well, how fast your PC is, doesn't matter in this case, it's all about the drivers of your soundcard, and there are no ASIO drivers for the SB Live series.

ASIO drivers are the drivers that make it possible to record midi with virtually no latency.

If you are looking for a card between £40 and £200, you'll probably have to go for one of the more higher priced ones in that range. Check out the M-Audio Audiophile 192 ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Au...le192-main.html ) which is about $200 (dunno how much that is in £) which iis a high quality card with ASIO drivers which should help you out.

You can also check out ASIO4ALL which allows you to have much better latency settings on non ASIO cards. I'm using it (also have a fucking SB Live Cry ) and I have now a 20ms latency instead of the original 185ms latency with the normal drivers Big Grin You will still have to quantize after recording, but it will be close.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-11-2004 12:17 Homepage of Surya
peet
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

well you're not completely right surya, sb live can use the kx drivers. look it up on google. it supports asio. sucky drivers tho.

__

28-11-2004 15:05 Homepage of peet
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Yeah, there are also ASIO drivers for the SB Live... which only work in Win98 Roll Eyes

So the best thing is to get ASIO4ALL if a new card is no option...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-11-2004 15:55 Homepage of Surya
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » so what sorce controls and causes this??