drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » avoiding eviction...lol
Go to the bottom of this page avoiding eviction...lol
Author
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

i've realised that when i have my pc volume at high i can produce faster and generally more easily.
however i live in a shared house an lets jus say my music isn't tolerated by other house mates who opt for pop cheese shit like, busted or soumfin??? Confused

anyway after a night of producing through a pair of my good quality headphones, i return home from work the next day to listen to what sounded like a completely different track!!
the levels were all fucked an it has put me off using headphones apart from when i'm recording vocals

is there a way to get things runnin smoothly with the phones??? Cry

G

__
My Sounds
25-11-2004 18:52
peet
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

well if you can't play out loud with your speakers (neither can i btw/family house so..), then just create your tracks with headphones, then when you can just listen stuff with your speakers and mix it out right.

__

25-11-2004 18:59 Homepage of peet
muphasta muphasta is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1490.jpg

Registration Date: 29-06-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.88

i think headphone mixes are one of the clearest possibilities to get to a ultimate mix. its like playing in a band and rehearse with headphones. no better practice as that . much more details come out!!! off course check it on multiple soundsystems!!!!

cheers

__
muphasta none dnb
www.myspace.com/muphsugar
reggeadubwise.com
Roots-reggea-project: muphsteppa
muphsteppa@reggeadubwise
25-11-2004 19:04
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
Originally posted by muphasta
i think headphone mixes are one of the clearest possibilities to get to a ultimate mix. its like playing in a band and rehearse with headphones. no better practice as that . much more details come out!!! off course check it on multiple soundsystems!!!!

cheers

Yeah, it's fun to find your head all wrapped up in your own musical creation, but, due to the fact that there's no space through which all the waveforms can 'fly off' and due to the tonal characteristics of the headphone itself, mixes are often far from good. Checking on it multiple soundsystems can give some results here, yeah.

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
25-11-2004 19:25 Homepage of Soi
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

even with the best headphones you can't hear bass spectruom properly, I think it's good for stereo balance and maybe making music but not for proper mixing

__

25-11-2004 19:28
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by B-complex
even with the best headphones you can't hear bass spectruom properly, I think it's good for stereo balance and maybe making music but not for proper mixing

just my thoughts, I only use it to eq and check my stereospectrum

__

25-11-2004 19:29 Homepage of Emblem-X
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
much more details come out!!!

My speakers (Alesis) give more detail than my headphones (Sennheiser). And the levels are always fucked. I never produce on headphones unless I really have to.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

25-11-2004 22:16 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Take some time to encode a range of high quality 320kbps mp3's of your favourite CD's on your harddisk. Chose reference tracks made by famous producers of which you know they sound awesome on every sound system. Listen to one of these tracks for at least 2 minutes every 30 minutes while you are working on a track. If you work for more than an hour without referencing to another recording your mix gets skewed.

If you eg have headphones / monitors that sound muffled and bass heavy and you mix for more than an hour your brain is going to compensate for the less than ideal listening conditions and you end up with a mix that sounds overly bright and thin. When you play a well mixed track every 30 minutes inbetween producing, your ears reset to this sound and when you get back to your track you'll notice that fi the bass is lacking.

This is a very good technique on both headphones and monitors, you'll get used to the sound of your speakers / headphones much quicker, your production speeds up and you get better sounding tunes.

BTW it's always good to take a little break every 30 minutes to keep staying concentrated

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
26-11-2004 00:08 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:
much more details come out!!!

My speakers (Alesis) give more detail than my headphones (Sennheiser). And the levels are always fucked. I never produce on headphones unless I really have to.

Depends on a lot of things, not only on the make and model of the speakers and headphones, but also on things like the amp you're using to drive the speakers, the quality of the headphone output, the quality of the D/A converters etc.

If you stick your headphones in a crappy front panel headphone output of the onboard sound chip of the motherboard, and hook up your speakers with a good amp to your high quality 24/96 sound card output you're definitely going to notice more detail in the speakers.

Just to make a point that it cannot be generalised if it's better to produce on monitors or headphones, it's different for every setup.

It's best to use both, and change between them regularly.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
26-11-2004 00:29 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by B-complex

You can also not hear it properly by playing it on speakers in your home studio because the bass gets fucked up by the room modes...

So you always lose... Crying

Only way is to check it on as many different systems as possible (or play it on a huge system outdoors in the desert Big Grin )

__
26-11-2004 00:34 Homepage of thechronic
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

usefull tips chronic, thanx, i will keep them on mind, and now i just have to find some desert for sale .. Smile

__

06-12-2004 01:14
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

using headphones?!?! bad freq response?!?!?! not enough power?!?!?! are these really questions?!?!?!?

Sony makes a pair of headphones called MDR-V900's.....and they are monsters!!! With 50 mm drivers allowing a spectacular range and monster bass, these $260 headphones are probably the best!! 24 ohm impedence, 107dB/mW sensitivity, 1000mw power rating, 3000mW capacity, and 5 - 30,000 Hz response makes these perfect for studio monitoring!!! If that's not enough.....Behringer makes this product......the HA4600 headphone amp.......for $99 on average this little mini-driver amp is what you need!!!! 4 stereo amps, 3 headphones per channel. Aux input, mono/stereo, left/right mute, balance, volume, 2-band EQ.

soooooo yeah!! for only $360 american.......you too can monitor like those studio professionals!!!!!

you should hear these things in the desert!!!!!!

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by spudleyq: 06-12-2004 14:51.

06-12-2004 14:46 Homepage of spudleyq
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

ohh boy....... people bass needs a bit of footage before it reaches your body not you ears. our human ears cannot percieve how bass is going to feel. If you happin to make a track using only headphones throught the production proccess and have it sound and feel solid on a dance floor your are either lucky or very impressed with your own creations. Tongue
some things can be done on headphones with good results but they are not a substitute for a good monitoring setup.
All i can say is you wont know untill you take the dive and invest in good monitors with a proper sub monitor.
end of the fukin debate Big Grin lol j/k
06-12-2004 21:35
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

with good enough headphones you can feel the vibrations.....not hear them......if you have the Allears .....you don't need the speakers Big Grin
another end to the debate......seriously Tongue

__

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by spudleyq: 06-12-2004 22:14.

06-12-2004 22:12 Homepage of spudleyq
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

just to let you know, the outer ear, you know those meaty pieces of cartiliege stuck on the sides of your head they dont work the same way when headphones are pressed against them. you lose about 20 decibels of natural amplification with headphones on. meaning you boost the headphone gain and over time you wreck your perfect ears.
But I fell like Im wasting my time since you are very clearly a headphone producer, ohh well. It only hurts you. Ahh...... I remember the good old days of monitoring with headphones. come to think of it Confused it really does suck having both kick ass headphones and quality monitors.

one question how do you know if a track kicks you in the chest with headphones on??????? Roll Eyes

preach on brotha
06-12-2004 22:35
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

How did Beethoven know what the notes on his piano sounded like?

i'm not saying that a 400 inch sub woofer with a million watts pumping through it won't generate more vibration than a pair of headphones......I'm saying that if your headphones have a good enough frequency response you can FEEL the vibrations....whether they're pounding your chest or lightly tickling your tympanic membrane you can know they're there.

PS those meaty pieces of cartilage stuck on the sides of our heads are in fact called pinnas, or auricles. And all they do is collect and focus the sound waves......they don't actually amplify anything.

it's not nice to preach

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by spudleyq: 06-12-2004 22:54.

06-12-2004 22:44 Homepage of spudleyq
zebediah
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

Anybody use Event Project Studio Monitors? If so, watcha think?
06-12-2004 22:56 Homepage of zebediah
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
i'm not saying that a 400 inch sub woofer with a million watts pumping through it won't generate more vibration than a pair of headphones

actualy that would probably sound like crap.
personaly i prefere a 15inch woofer with about 900 watts drivin it. this isnt cheap tho. gotta condition the room a bit still.

And zebediah those events are good monitors just dont expect them to be loud. their meant to be about 3 feet away from your head so the operate at lower levels then most heads are used to. but you wont have to condition the room much with em.
06-12-2004 23:02
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » avoiding eviction...lol