drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » SLiding BASS LINES
Go to the bottom of this page SLiding BASS LINES
Author
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

Now i am aware that B-Complex using fruity loops...and he has this thing wehre he slides a lot of his samples...now i notice the slide option in the sequencer but havbent figured out how to make it work....HOW DOES IT WORK!!?!??! Bigup

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

24-11-2004 02:51
Bidness Bidness is a male

Registration Date: 23-11-2004

Turn Portamento on and Glide too.
Overlap your notes - usually make the earlier note longer so it overlaps the 2nd note.

I also turn polyphony to 1.
24-11-2004 04:08
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

load a sampler and go to MISC and turn on mono in the polyphony section and turn the slid up to the desired amount and overlap the notes like stated earlier. works well with looped bass samples. to get a sample to loop go to the SMP section of the sampler and adjust the CRF knob in precomputed effects. this is if you wanna work with a sample instead of a synth.
24-11-2004 05:24
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
Now i am aware that B-Complex using fruity loops...

Oh, I thought he was using Cubase or Logic or something, since he switched from Reason...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

24-11-2004 12:17 Homepage of Surya
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

there's a few ways to do it in FL. When working with a synth u can automate, euh pretty much everyting in your synth, but I suggest one of the oscilators. If u are working with samples u could either use the note slide in the piano roll, or use the polyphony and slide functions.
So here it goes:

1) using the slide function in the piano roll.

The best way to try this out is with a really long sample (like a half or a full bar), if u don't have one that long u can turn up the crossfade (CRF) in the sample settings SMP tab. Then go to the piano roll. First put some regular notes, but make sure u draw them looooong. After that u can add the slides. click the little triangle in the upper left corner. now u can draw something that looks like notes but with a slightly lighter color. These are slides. just put them where u want a note to start sliding, and draw them as long as u want the slide to take.

2) polyphony & slide.

Marisol gave a nice description of this method, but personally i like using the piano roll slide more.

3?) pitch automation?

I think it must also be possible to automate the sample's pitch in some way, but I can't seem to find it right now.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
24-11-2004 20:09 Homepage of djfreemc
Surora23 Surora23 is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks a lot....and to surya, i dont know for sure if he does, but he was talking about it one of the threads like he knows the program really well...he may use cubase but im not positive

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

24-11-2004 21:35
marine289 marine289 is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 05-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Wow, thanks a lot djfreemc and others. This may sound really stupid (and it is Wink ) but I didnt even know about the crossfade option in FL, a new world has gone open for me!!! Big Grin
Thanks again, good explenation Bigup
10-12-2004 18:19
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

Huh there's a crossfade?

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

28-12-2004 21:19 Homepage of Halph-Price
charleskoncept charleskoncept is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-580.jpg

Registration Date: 29-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

yeah i think its called cf its on the sample options.. i dont know where to point you directly cause i havent used it in quite some time....

peace...

__
charleskoncept
28-12-2004 21:29
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
Huh there's a crossfade?

Yess there is! indeed the little CF knob in sample settings

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
28-12-2004 22:42 Homepage of djfreemc
charleskoncept charleskoncept is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-580.jpg

Registration Date: 29-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

^^ watch out though its kinda wierd IMO....

it makes shit kinda choppy if you dont do it right...

i personally didnt fin it that appealing....

the whole program that is

but i hear 5 is much better,,,

peace

__
charleskoncept
28-12-2004 22:47
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:

3?) pitch automation?

I think it must also be possible to automate the sample's pitch in some way, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Yah, there is. When you put the slide buttons/bars in the Piano Roll, up and down, you actually set how the pitch should change in the pattern.

Another way is recording the turning of the knob that controls the sample's pitch. It is up and left when you open the sample channel.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
02-01-2005 12:39 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by charleskoncept
^^ watch out though its kinda wierd IMO....

it makes shit kinda choppy if you dont do it right...

i personally didnt fin it that appealing....

the whole program that is

but i hear 5 is much better,,,

peace

they got new smooth automations, that are not choppy at all. finally.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

03-01-2005 01:51 Homepage of Halph-Price
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

quote:
Now i am aware that B-Complex using fruity loops...and he has this thing wehre he slides a lot of his samples...now i notice the slide option in the sequencer but havbent figured out how to make it work....HOW DOES IT WORK!!?!??! Bigup

Hehe rumours Smile
I do know fruityloops quite well, actually I know the program since it was just the drum sequencer but I never really like it, and I never used it to make a complete song. The thing is that when you know some basic concepts you can use whatever software you want becouse it's mostly the same thing, just the workflow is different. I did most of my tracks that are here in Reason, nowadays I am using mostly renoise [www.renoise.com] hehe back to roots ! Smile

but back to the topic, if you want to make some nice sliding lines, you have to tweak with your glide or portamento. There are actually two main different ways of making bass slide.. [well maybe more but 2 I am using] First is that you just play some long note [for example 1 bar long] say C-4, and you automate your pitch shift knob. If you set pitch shift to 12 notes [1 octave] then when you automate pitchshift 100% to the max, your note is playing C-5 and -100% is playing C-3 so you have 2 octaves you can slide with speed that is equal to your curve in automation. This is nice way the advantage is that you are in total control of your slides.

The other way as was already mentioned here, is to set Glide of your synth. The most important thing here, is that for basslines is good to set them to be monophonic [polyphony = 1 ] it's easy to make this in albino2 so if you want to make it slide, just set voices to mono, on the left side of button "master volume" is
a glide section, set glide to held ...there are 2 main different gliding choices, held and bend , held means it will slide after you play some note over [ i will explain soon] bend means that it will glide every note when ammount of glide is equal to number under the glide button. .. well set it to held and now when you want to your bass slide, play some note for example c-4, hold it and press the c-5 key .. it will slide to this note with speed equal to "time" [in albino] it mens equal to your glide setting.

Well maybe it looks quite confusing but I hope it makes sense.. It's actually very easy just experiment with the settings and you will see. feel free to ask if anything is not clear to you

__

03-01-2005 10:13
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

Tracker Massive!!!Woot

I haven't stopped using trackers!!

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
03-01-2005 13:55 Homepage of spudleyq
Surora23 Surora23 is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by B-complex
quote:

Hehe rumours Smile
I do know fruityloops quite well, actually I know the program since it was just the drum sequencer but I never really like it, and I never used it to make a complete song. The thing is that when you know some basic concepts you can use whatever software you want becouse it's mostly the same thing, just the workflow is different. I did most of my tracks that are here in Reason, nowadays I am using mostly renoise [www.renoise.com] hehe back to roots ! Smile

but back to the topic, if you want to make some nice sliding lines, you have to tweak with your glide or portamento. There are actually two main different ways of making bass slide.. [well maybe more but 2 I am using] First is that you just play some long note [for example 1 bar long] say C-4, and you automate your pitch shift knob. If you set pitch shift to 12 notes [1 octave] then when you automate pitchshift 100% to the max, your note is playing C-5 and -100% is playing C-3 so you have 2 octaves you can slide with speed that is equal to your curve in automation. This is nice way the advantage is that you are in total control of your slides.

The other way as was already mentioned here, is to set Glide of your synth. The most important thing here, is that for basslines is good to set them to be monophonic [polyphony = 1 ] it's easy to make this in albino2 so if you want to make it slide, just set voices to mono, on the left side of button "master volume" is
a glide section, set glide to held ...there are 2 main different gliding choices, held and bend , held means it will slide after you play some note over [ i will explain soon] bend means that it will glide every note when ammount of glide is equal to number under the glide button. .. well set it to held and now when you want to your bass slide, play some note for example c-4, hold it and press the c-5 key .. it will slide to this note with speed equal to "time" [in albino] it mens equal to your glide setting.

Well maybe it looks quite confusing but I hope it makes sense.. It's actually very easy just experiment with the settings and you will see. feel free to ask if anything is not clear to you

AWESOME...some of that is a little watery and cloudy...but im getting better with albino so ill try in that...and ill try what you said with fruity... thanks a lot! and i jsut may have a few more questions...but not sure what they are yet..um...yea lol Confused Pleased

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

03-01-2005 18:53
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » SLiding BASS LINES