drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Too many ego's in here.
Go to the bottom of this page Too many ego's in here.
Author
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

I'm getting rather annoyed from reviewing tracks on this website, to the point that I don't even feel like doing it, cause either I get an ignorant PM back, or I get an ignorant reply in the thread, or I get some kind of odd represailles review back, telling how much my track sucks just seconds after I told someone what was wrong with his track.

That's pretty much completely different from most production forums I visit.

Why are people posting tunes in the first place if they can't deal with negative feedback? Negative feedback is the only freaking way to get ahead in this.

I just told a guy how the thought behind his track rocked but his synths were just not advanced enough. I told him to practice. What you think I get back from him?

"think you need new ears mate, sorry"

Like dude what the fuck?

Arrogance and ego is the least you want to have in any artform. You can't be arrogant about your work at all because you know that you'll ALWAYS keep learning. It's useless to be arrogant about it cause you know that there will ALWAYS be people better than you.

I don't care about ego's in the real world. You need 'm there. But don't fuck around with these reviews. Everyone's trying to help eachother out here, so stop the dumb ass stuff.

Oh and rather odd that like 90% of this behaviour comes from British kids. Just tell me why?

__

22-11-2004 21:55 Homepage of peet
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

myea.. just say what u gotto say, ignore such replies and PM's.. it's just i'net

__

22-11-2004 22:08 Homepage of Emblem-X
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

dont let it get to you man. take it all in stride. Spliff
22-11-2004 22:19
peet
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

that's not what i mean guys. i care shit what people say to me here, it's about the total ignorance and foolness of those people that act that way.

__

22-11-2004 22:31 Homepage of peet
Electro Electro is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-350.jpg

Registration Date: 22-04-2004

Hey i'm British and and i agree with you totally, if you cant take the heat get your arse out the kitchin, so to speak! if you dont want to get negative feedback on your tunes dont post them, because even the most talented of producers get negative feedback on there tracks, its called "personal preference" and not everyone is going to like every aspect about it, and may think a specific bit could have been done another way or better or not at all....so deal with Fuckyou

__
**************TWISTED MIND****************

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/electromagneticmusic.htm
22-11-2004 22:31
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by Electro
Hey i'm British and and i agree with you totally, if you cant take the heat get your arse out the kitchin, so to speak! if you dont want to get negative feedback on your tunes dont post them, because even the most talented of producers get negative feedback on there tracks, its called "personal preference" and not everyone is going to like every aspect about it, and may think a specific bit could have been done another way or better or not at all....so deal with Fuckyou

idd got nothing to add here

__

22-11-2004 23:09 Homepage of Emblem-X
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
if you dont want to get negative feedback on your tunes dont post them

It can't be said enough so here I go:

Now, everyone who has read this: NEVER forget this!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

23-11-2004 00:03 Homepage of Surya
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

i couldnt agree with you all more
people gettin angry over negative feedback cant see the bigger picture and arent worth stressing over
i look forward to becoming a registered producer soon as i have nearly finsished reviewing some tracks

reppin the southapton scene in south england
Glimmer

__
My Sounds
23-11-2004 00:36
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

Personally, I think that drumnbass.be is one of the better communities I know. It does not have very big name but people here DO care, so I don't think it's that bad with the ego's here. I am doing a reviewer job on one slovakian website and I tell you one, if anyone is not happy with what you've said about his production [if you wrote it honestly] just ignore him.
The artist should never discuss with critics but he should think about the review if he can make anything better.

__

23-11-2004 00:50
Electro Electro is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-350.jpg

Registration Date: 22-04-2004

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:

It can't be said enough so here I go:

Now, everyone who has read this: NEVER forget this!

lol, yep that should do the trick!!!

I think this post should be a sticky imo, it will be a clear warning to unregistered/registered D'n'b.be users that dont expect any "sugar coated" revews off mods/members....if your choon sucks then your gonna get a bad review and score, and dont bother sending any "hater" PMs to people if they beleive it does....IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!! Prrr

__
**************TWISTED MIND****************

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/electromagneticmusic.htm
23-11-2004 01:52
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

If anyone receives such PMs forward them to me!! If you notice biased reviews send me a PM too!!

If people are not looking for honest reviews they are looking for something else: free webspace probably, and free promotion. Well the site is not free (at least not for me), there are certain rules here. I'm willing to give everybody a chance, but if people don't play by the rules I don't see why I should be obliged to give them free hosting and promotion.

Honest reviewers are much more precious to me than uploaders, it are the reviews which make this site work, not the music!

So anyone interfering with the work and opinion of a reviewer will get their tracks removed and their producer rights revoked!

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
23-11-2004 08:41 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah, I might start a sticky in the tunes forum about negative reviews, but I'm gonna think a bit about what I'm going to put in there.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

23-11-2004 14:03 Homepage of Surya
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

people........the fault is people. I've never really had the problem peety's having here.....or anywhere else I must say......but I have noticed it with other people. We're not all arrogant mushdoers with nothing but plutonic girlfriends....some of us actually give a fuck and respect the chronic for giving us this wonderful wonderful gift of exposure......cuz that's what he's doing.......for free!!!! and people need to realize that......they need to realize how awesome this site is and keep their thoughts in check......there's a big difference between constructive criticism and blatent assholeism.......now you can give a negative review without crushing someone's soul.....some people just don't have the decency to do so

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
23-11-2004 17:02 Homepage of spudleyq
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:

I think part of the idea is to get a bit of negative feedback. OK, if it is good it is good and that must be said too. But how are u ever going to know what people like or dislike about your tracks or how u could improve ur producing skills if no one ever tells u what is wrong with it?

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 23-11-2004 20:11.

23-11-2004 20:10 Homepage of djfreemc
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

i think a lot of people on this forum dont know wht they are tlaking about anyway...NOW THIS IS NTO AN IGNORANT STATEMENT....but i find my trcks to be pretty good...and ive listened to others tracks and most of the time im not impressed...BUT THEN those same people give me a review like they work for ARISTA or RENEGADE HARDWARE or soem shit...

(LOOK PEOPLE, IF YOU GIVE A REVIEW, GIVE A REVIEW WITH KNOWLEDGE YOU KNOW, NOT WHAT YOU ASSUME)...and i love opinon reviews, so exclude those, but im talking about reviews that come from somebody who makes a downright shity ass track, and act like it should be signed to human imprint...and that review is like OH WLEL DO THIS< OR DO THAT....(WHY DONT YOU DO IT YOURSELF AND MAKE SOEMTHING WE WANT TO LISTEN TO YOU DUMB F*CKS!)

i agree with peet all the way...
and im from the US, and IMO USA dnb holds its own, but thats no reason for the majority of British kids to give wack reviews because their country holds the biggest scene, and better producers...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

23-11-2004 20:32
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Well, Surora has a point that a lot of beginners think they know what they're talking about.

A wise person once said: the more you know, the more you will see how much you don't know. And this is true for everything in life, not only producing.

So these beginners know how to make a breakbeat, and they think that's it. They know how it's done.
I know how to make a good breakbeat, but I don't know everything about making breakbeats at all. I'm still looking for ways to improve and I still hear other people do wickid stuff that makes me think: "how the fuck did they do that? I wanna know how to do that too!"

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

23-11-2004 20:46 Homepage of Surya
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

Surora, I usually don't write much reviews becouse I know it's easy to say "your drum suck equalise it better" but becouse I do not have the best speakers at the moment and I can't say what exactly sound bad It's better not to say anything. Honestly the best producers here can barely be compared to avarage "proper" scene producers and we all have much to learn to progress. If someone write a review and criticise for example bassline and if I listen to his track and hear that his bass is total nonsense I just smile and let it be. The most important thing is to have to most oppinions about your music as you can have then judge it and think of all negatives that have been told to you during your next creative session with some new track.

__

23-11-2004 21:01
peet
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks for the support surora but your additude is pretty much what i'm talking about here.

quote:
i think a lot of people on this forum dont know wht they are tlaking about anyway...NOW THIS IS NTO AN IGNORANT STATEMENT....but i find my trcks to be pretty good...and ive listened to others tracks and most of the time im not impressed...BUT THEN those same people give me a review like they work for ARISTA or RENEGADE HARDWARE or soem shit...

so let's say there's a fella that has been listening dnb for so long, to be pretty advanced in knowing his own taste on what's good and what's not. eventho he's not a producer, his crits are valuable. would you just shed them aside? or let's say you have a guy who visits dnb parties regurlarly, and neh he's not an expert on the music, he just likes it. do you shed his crits away? i mean who are you doing your tracks for, for the audience or for other producers.

i know that main dnb audience is not always the best in giving detailed tech crit, but what do you expect. but if they think stuff's good or stuff's bad. you have to accept their crits.

quote:
(LOOK PEOPLE, IF YOU GIVE A REVIEW, GIVE A REVIEW WITH KNOWLEDGE YOU KNOW, NOT WHAT YOU ASSUME)...and i love opinon reviews, so exclude those, but im talking about reviews that come from somebody who makes a downright shity ass track, and act like it should be signed to human imprint...and that review is like OH WLEL DO THIS< OR DO THAT....(WHY DONT YOU DO IT YOURSELF AND MAKE SOEMTHING WE WANT TO LISTEN TO YOU DUMB F*CKS!)

well. first i want to say that if you don't strive for your sound to be as well as 'big' labels, you're not going to grow.

and in addition, you ARE expecting to be released some day right? so wouldn't it be totally true to say that your tunes don't sound any bit professional? ofcourse it would be true. if you don't set that as a goal you'll be a freakin amateur all your life.

quote:
i agree with peet all the way...

well i don't think you do.

quote:
and im from the US, and IMO USA dnb holds its own, but thats no reason for the majority of British kids to give wack reviews because their country holds the biggest scene, and better producers...

thanks for the reply tho. we obviously still differ in opinions.

__

23-11-2004 22:50 Homepage of peet
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by peet
quote:

so let's say there's a fella that has been listening dnb for so long, to be pretty advanced in knowing his own taste on what's good and what's not. eventho he's not a producer, his crits are valuable. would you just shed them aside? or let's say you have a guy who visits dnb parties regurlarly, and neh he's not an expert on the music, he just likes it. do you shed his crits away? i mean who are you doing your tracks for, for the audience or for other producers.

Yeah, but Surora was talking about guys who DO produce, and produce crap, who start telling you your stuff is crap, even if it's 10x better then what they make themselves. If they are so good at telling what they like and don't like, they would be making better tracks too.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

23-11-2004 23:26 Homepage of Surya
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Yeah, but Surora was talking about guys who DO produce, and produce crap, who start telling you your stuff is crap, even if it's 10x better then what they make themselves. If they are so good at telling what they like and don't like, they would be making better tracks too.

Gotcha Surya. Just trying to give my oppinion on the theme.
Now, yes, there are producers that make crap and say to other that their tunes are crap. One of them is me.
But I know when something touches my heart or my soul, and when something is totaly out of key. And, even though I can't make it better, I can help it someone who knows how, to make it better, by giving him review.

Example: maybe I don't know how to EQ the kick to sound sepparate from the bass line that good, but I still can notice in other tunes that the kick can not be heard because of the bass line.
Should I keep my mouth (fingers Big Grin ) shut? Or should I tell him that HIS KICK IS FUCK*NG NON EQUALIZED SH*T??
By the way, psychology suggests to give criticism to people in this harsh form (SH*T FUCK*NG etc.) so that they can be touched more, and think about what they have done... and what EQ filter they need to use more. Smile

Also, I tell him to EQ it better, not only because it's his tune, but also that I believe that when he got that far he IS ABLE AND WILLING TO DO THAT! Smile

Maybe I cannot post technical stuff, but I definitely say when something is not working.

Back to the theme: I agree with peet. I mean, what kind of man is that to defend his tune?! WHY IN THE HELL DID HE POST IT HERE THEN?

Bigup for all producers that don't get offended by reviews! Bigup

Oh, what the hell, let's party!

Woot Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
23-11-2004 23:54 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Too many ego's in here.