drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Best synth for bass???
Go to the bottom of this page Best synth for bass???
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

What is the best bass synth out there?

I'm thinking Moog modulairs , moog taurus , minimoog
What about the SE1-X or any other synths?

Suggestions: what synth and why
18-11-2004 17:15
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 

access virus is pretty good
novation bass station is pretty good

check out this site
http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
18-11-2004 17:50 Homepage of spudleyq
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

quote:
I'm thinking Moog modulairs , moog taurus , minimoog

those are great sounding soft synths but you will need a degree in ITT tech to design sound on them.
I would suggest the Albino 2 and study up on what each part of the synth is doing. really you can get great bass out of many defferent synths just layer your kick between the sub and main bass sound. that is the key. send the sub thru a low pass filter and the main bass sound thru a high pass filter adjust both filters till you get that chest pounding without distortion. if you do it right the kick will still be clearly heard and the bass will stand out strong.
18-11-2004 18:59
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

That was a realy good tip marisol the thing with lowpass for sub and highpass for mainbass .Thank you ! But what I mean is that there is a difference in the character of sound . every synth sounds different ,real synths because circuitdesign and component value is different and virtualsynths because the algorithems used are different.

I like the Studio Electronics SE1-x because :
SOUND no virtual synth can dream off this.
Next 3 midi synced LFO's and 4 envelope generators.
It is dead eazy to program, real knobs.
Lots of user memory (most of the factory presets are boring)
The downside of this synth is that it can only do one thing realy good(just BASS ,no screaming leads or acid lines)
IF you want to hear some sounds e-mail me at dddirk95@hotmail.com and I will send you some samples.

Greatings Dirk.
23-11-2004 07:58
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

money wise its better to buy hardware to proccess your bass and use vsts to create it. albino seems to be one of the more powerful synths in terms of versitility while Vangard tends to put out a more modular type of sound and has some aliasing goin on(funny is i can usally tell when someone used a vangard), Z3TA is great for real grimy main basslines but it has no automation avaliable. Novation is good for more mid to high pitched leads in my expirence the best thing i have to say about it is the fact that it has a great fx bank built right into it, albino has an fx bank aswell but you can only use 2 fx at one time but the delay fx on albino are hard to beat. if you want to learn how to buid a sound with a synth i would suggest albino, the work space is great and its very intuitive once you learn some basics of synthisis.

if you compared albino to se1-x it would blow its doors clean off. every single aspect of the synth can be tied to one or all of its 4 lfo's and it has 4 generators aswell, it also has 2 filters and everything i mean everything has level control. plus its fully automatable.
23-11-2004 16:25
@1$-)
unregistered
ABSYNTH IS WARM AND VERY CLEAR, MAKES YOUR LOW END GLOW!! BUT THE KORG TRINITY COLLECTION IS AWESOME, REALLY AUTHENTIC, THE BEST SYNTH FOR BASS IS KORGS HARDWARE MICROKORG, JUST LISTEN TO THE PRODIGYS NEW ALBUM, OR ANY DANCE IN THE PAST YEAR, ITS ALL OVER THEM.
23-11-2004 22:19
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

really its not the synth that makes the bass huge its how you proccess it. If you wanna believe that when you spend a ton of money on some hardware synth that then and only then will your bass be huge then you will be very upset after you dump your cash. granted hardware does sound nice but money is better spent on outboard gear like filters and tube compressors.
24-11-2004 01:08
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

quote:
Originally posted by marisol
Z3TA is great for real grimy main basslines but it has no automation avaliable.

what do you mean by that ? I am automating z3ta without and problems and you can get really sick sounds out of that. Btw nowadays I am using albino for subs and z3ta for distorted-like bass sounds

__

24-11-2004 02:36
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

howd you do it. cuz id really like to know. ive tried but with no luck.
24-11-2004 02:39
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

People its not about being sensible , that is buy a powerbook and ableton life a decent headphone and soundcard all for the price of one monosynth.

If the growl is not in the primarysound you can't get it in with eq compression or distortion . These are proceses which "multiply" the signal ,and 1000000000000000000 x 0 = 0

But don't belief me , this is what Rob Papen (he made Albino) has to say about it (from his website):

Where DSP and Native stops, Analogue starts !

And no, it is not expensive if you consider that a good analogue synthesizer is bought for a lifetime!
I own a JP8 for already 20 years and a Minimoog for already 11 years. They and also the Andromeda will never leave my studio.

Greetings Dirk.
24-11-2004 05:29
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

marisol : what version of z3ta do you have ? .. becouse in mine you just rightclick on [for example] cutoff frequency and set Midi CC and after that you can automate it with it

__

24-11-2004 11:41
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

When it comes to hardware, i played around for a while with a Novation Supernova2, this machine is for basses what Animal is for Muppetdrums!!
And i'm quite satisfied with the Subtractor-synth from Reason, actually (if you layer it with a sub, otherwise it has no power')
Logic also has some neat modules, but for basses you need some chirurgical precision in the automationprocess. But it's all worth it.

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
24-11-2004 11:51 Homepage of Soi
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
marisol : what version of z3ta do you have ? .. becouse in mine you just rightclick on [for example] cutoff frequency and set Midi CC and after that you can automate it with it

haha i feel like such a jackass for not doin that sooner.
just needed to open a midi out and set the control to 74. thanks for given the heads upSpliff
24-11-2004 17:04
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
If the growl is not in the primarysound you can't get it in with eq compression or distortion . These are proceses which "multiply" the signal ,and 1000000000000000000 x 0 = 0

Hihi
lmao yeah papen knows his stuff but DnB is a totaly defferent beast compared to any other except some breaks and garage. certain things like side chaining your main bass to a distortion patch and adding reverb then filtering out the lower freqs and modulating that over the bassline agian, try and get the same sound out of a synth and you will be hard pressed.
25-11-2004 09:40
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by marisol
DnB is a totaly defferent beast compared to any other except some breaks and garage. certain things like side chaining your main bass to a distortion patch and adding reverb then filtering out the lower freqs and modulating that over the bassline agian, try and get the same sound out of a synth and you will be hard pressed.

Most synths can do that, you just need to know how to program them Wink
Most sample & synthesis based synths have lots of modulation possibilities + distortion effects, filters and EQs and a lot of routing capabilities.
Pity is that with cheaper ones you are limited to the internal sample waveforms, but if you have one with a built-in sampler you can do nearly anything.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
25-11-2004 09:53 Homepage of thechronic
saphir saphir is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-185.gif

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

a synth with more than 1 oscilator

for subs better use 1 osc.

__
http://soundcloud.com/saphir_gazmazk

www.nitras.be
26-11-2004 15:49 Homepage of saphir
saphir saphir is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-185.gif

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

quote:
Originally posted by Soi
And i'm quite satisfied with the Subtractor-synth from Reason, actually (if you layer it with a sub, otherwise it has no power')

same here, true believer in the subtractor and maelström capacities.

to get more power out of them machines just try to lower the cut off, maybe add the second osc to the first.
split em up, one for your lower part wich can be boosted with scream. and the higher freq. for your detail

__
http://soundcloud.com/saphir_gazmazk

www.nitras.be
26-11-2004 15:55 Homepage of saphir
zebediah
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

Me likey Maelström + Subtractor.
26-11-2004 19:08 Homepage of zebediah
marisol
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Most synths can do that, you just need to know how to program them
Most sample & synthesis based synths have lots of modulation possibilities + distortion effects, filters and EQs and a lot of routing capabilities.
Pity is that with cheaper ones you are limited to the internal sample waveforms, but if you have one with a built-in sampler you can do nearly anything.

yes very true but i find the adjustability isnt that great with most and its easer for me to have that stuff on a send channel so i have a choice in what type of distortion i get out of it.

quote:
a synth with more than 1 oscilator

for subs better use 1 osc.

not always true a sub with a sine wave and a square wave sound very very nice. you get more brass this way if you know what i mean.
26-11-2004 20:05
dirk
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
lmao yeah papen knows his stuff but DnB is a totaly defferent beast compared to any other except some breaks and garage. certain things like side chaining your main bass to a distortion patch and adding reverb then filtering out the lower freqs and modulating that over the bassline agian, try and get the same sound out of a synth and you will be hard pressed.

So you start with a bass.
split it in two.
ad distortion and reverb to one.
filterout the low frequenties of that sound.
then "modulate" that over your original sound.

I don't understand what you mean by modulating , can you explain that to me and the rest of the world.

Greetings Dirk.
27-11-2004 06:34
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Best synth for bass???