drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Cubase » Sequencing in Cubase
Go to the bottom of this page Sequencing in Cubase
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 03-11-2004

I've had cubase sx 2.0 for a year now, and have the program pretty much down pat... but here's the thing: sequencing in cubase is so fuckin' time consuming... when i sequence in the roland fantom-xa, i find it much easier... like when i would sequence with my old MPC... now, don't get me wrong, i luv cubase, and i wanna master the art of sequencing with it, but my tracks come out sounds so "overly structured and scientific..." does anyone have any tips, or short cuts to sequencing in cubase? any? the only short cut i've found, if u wanna call it a short cut, is i FIRST create 1,4, or 8 bar pattern loops with all my tracks, and pull sounds in and out to gimme some sort of visual feel, as if i'm working with an MPC...

any help would be appreicated...
12-11-2004 18:26 Homepage of Infamystar
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Hmmm, dunno, I find it just as easy as sequencing in Reason (it's kinda similar, yeah)...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

12-11-2004 22:01 Homepage of Surya
@1$-)
unregistered
WHY NOT SEQUENCE IN REASON AND THEN REWIRE THROUGH CUBASE AND USE ALL THE FX FROM VSTI, REASONS TOP BUT THE FX AND OVERALL SOUND IS DODGY!!! CUBASE SOUNDS BETTER, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE, SIMILAR TO THE WAY AN AKAI SAMPLER SOUNDS DIFFERENT TO AN EMU SAMPLER. IF YOU ROUTE EVERYTHING THROUGH SEPERATE CHANNELS YOULL GET A BMORE SEPERATED SOUND, A MUCH BETTER STEREO IMAGE, REASONS ALMOST TO TIGHT, SOUNDS OFTEN MERGE INTO EACH OTHER TO MUCH AND THERES NO REAL DEFINITION.
12-11-2004 23:45
Infamystar
Tourist

thanx a lot guys... one of my friends from island whose a producer gave me some helpful hints that worked great! i started out as more of the vocalist/songwriter... and in the last year and a half or so, i got into production... i used to having everyone else do everything for me, not realizing how difficult production really is... but im getting used to it, and having a blast with it! once again, thanx so much for ur replies...

josh
13-11-2004 21:51 Homepage of Infamystar
TheCreamFilling

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Care to share some of those helpful hints?
14-11-2004 23:55
illuminati
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-191.jpg

Registration Date: 21-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

cubase is definitely a powerful sequencer...but i agree it takes a long ass time to do what you want...in reason if you copy a loop to paste in the next bar or whatever when you copy the paste marker automatically moves to the next bar, etc....so you can just hit ctrl+v and paste a bunch of times...but in cubase...you have to click the marker then paste...which is annoying...and there is no change events box i know of....where you can scale tempo...that is one great thing about reason...you can scale loops, drums, musical bars...etc...and its a lot easier then going in and manually chopping everything in a loop down by 200% there probably is a way to do this in cubase...but it`s almost like learning a whole new language....but the point is when using cubase with reason...if you just line your loops up with the bar numbers of loops in reason...you have a much easier time....using vsts
a lot of people hate reason...but every program has it`s advantages and disadvantages...it`s fairly easy to lay ideas down and you can save templates so that when you start a new track everything is already rewired to cubase...add more as needed
15-11-2004 05:51
illuminati
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

does anyone know if there is a way to scale tempo of loops in cubase?

that would be how you make a drum loop that was

80bpm play at 80bpm @ 160bpm so you could make a

hiphop/DNB track.....actually if you can do this...definitely can in reason...but

if you can do this....try taking a measure and looping it

now play four notes of the same scale in...one note each bar...now highlight all the notes, scale them by 200% until all four notes only take up one bar...

now copy the bar...and paste it in the remaining 3 bars...add delay...and mess with it to suit....

now take a separate insturment and play the original 4 notes in like b4 you scaled them...now you have syncopated melodies
15-11-2004 05:58
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by illuminati
you have to click the marker then paste...

Well, you can very quickly copy stuff by ctrl+drag Wink

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

15-11-2004 12:05 Homepage of Surya
Infamystar
Tourist

right... u can literally paint each pattern across the entire screen in cubase by hold down "ctrl + D"... a cool little shortcut... now, one helpful hint while working in cubase that i learned was, when doing anything downtempo, to work in 16ths... and create 1,2, or 4 bar pattern loops... nothing more... (which is called "groove patterns" in sonar) this is just an easier way to work when u can see everything visually laid out before u in loop patterns... also, when working in 16ths in 4/4 time at say 85 to 110 bpms, u can get that classic hip hop feel when quantising as well... everything stays very precise and creates an easier enviroment to work in...u can get more creative and daring later... but this little tip i got has worked very well for me, and has helped me stay organized in cubase, while just using the vst's i have, and cubase alone... i've almost been completely ignoring reason and fruity loops...
15-11-2004 14:32 Homepage of Infamystar
illuminati
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

what about drums? how can you make those with just cubase?
15-11-2004 17:17
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

I kinda like NI Battery for that...

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

15-11-2004 19:07 Homepage of Surya
Dj Kush Dj Kush is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-449.jpg

Registration Date: 23-10-2004

Yeah i got some tips use your ADSR's thats what they are there for... to manipulate your sound to how you want them too....

Not enough people Create there own Patches or Sounds in there Sequencers these days its untrue... so everyone is Liable for Prosicution under the Sample Laws that are now in place....(But lets not get political)

Erm EXPERIMENTATION is they KEY to most Top peices of work... You had to experiment 1nce do it again!!!

Peace Dj Kush

__

16-11-2004 02:53
Dj Kush Dj Kush is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-449.jpg

Registration Date: 23-10-2004

Erm well.... Look Cubase was the Prime Master @ the Start of all this Electroniic Music Nowadayz... on the Atari...but this is not history!!!

Confused To be quite honest with ya m8 the Q? should be what cant i do in Cubase.... Its Re-Wire protocol helps you use different methods of Sequencing...If you dont like Cubase get something else..Like Reason then Run all Synths & Drum Machines thru the Re-Wire protocol... into Cubase Mixer then BOOST your sound from there!!

My best comment is READ SOME BOOKS!!!!

Peace Dj Kush Bigup

__

16-11-2004 03:01
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:
Originally posted by illuminati
you have to click the marker then paste...

Well, you can very quickly copy stuff by ctrl+drag Wink

that's ALT + drag/drop Wink

btw for drums, surya, when are you ever gonna step aside from battery
use kontakt instead, or the proggie zzero always comes up with DR008, (still didn't find it myself so couldn't try yet Cry but seems very powerful)

__
It's a spiritual thing !

17-11-2004 08:29
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Lol, I'll try contact again when I reinstall Cubase... (it was fooked up!)

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

17-11-2004 12:05 Homepage of Surya
thefunke1
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-634.jpg

Registration Date: 09-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.67

hmm... I would love to share anything that you have learned in Cubase.

A great short cut (if not known already) is Shift + G this automticaly plays back a loop of whatever you have highlighted.

Alt. + drag/drop is great, and you can highlight as much as you want and drag it anywhere you want.

To get rid of the "scientific or structured feel" adjust the velocity levels within the logical editor, this helps get rid of the computer made drum sound.

Always looking to learn more with cubase, so please feel free to post anything you have learned, it's all useful.

__
www.acidplanet.comAfro
22-01-2005 17:14 Homepage of thefunke1
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Cubase » Sequencing in Cubase