drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » phat track sounding bass....
Go to the bottom of this page phat track sounding bass....
Author
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-191.jpg

Registration Date: 21-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

ick....so whats the secret to the really awesome bass sounds??? i`m tired of the same basic sounds but i don`t know where the cool sounds come from i`ll come back with a specific track name sometime....

but can someone give me a crash course in finding or making bass samples....i can never get my shit to sound like the shit i hear in tracks i really like....it sounds wimpy or something compared to the hi-res hi-fi sounds in commercial tracks....
27-10-2004 10:57
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Well, it's all about distortion... but it's hard to get that right... I know Saphir uses Quadrafuzz for his basslines, Antares Tube is popular too, PSP Vintage Warmer should come in handy for giving that analogue sound... Experiment A LOT, that's all I can say.

I must say I'm also starting to like the Scream4 distortion unit of Reason. You might have to use more than one of it though...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-10-2004 11:34 Homepage of Surya
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

Experiment with things you don't come up with at first sight. Render/bounce youre bassline, then export it to a sampler so you can play your original and your sampled bassline together.. Detune a bit, use distortion a bit, feel enlightened and save a tree!.

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
27-10-2004 12:48 Homepage of Soi
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

if you use albino 2 or v station i can give you presets.
i have also made some raw sounds with z3ta if you have it. if you deconstruct the presets i have made you might better understand the method behind the madness. its still a good idea to throw on some filter drive to get a thick sound full of attitude, however filter drive is just one way to do this. TC's filtrator works great for this.
27-10-2004 13:36
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

I downloaded a "reece" presets file for Albino 2... and they all just sounded like slightly phatter saw pads, not like reeces. But I'm intrested in your presets Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-10-2004 14:21 Homepage of Surya
illuminati
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-191.jpg

Registration Date: 21-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i`m interested in the presets also are those programs you`re talking about (albino or v station) VST plugins???...i`m pretty good at writing all the music in...but it usually sounds lo-fi and it pisses me off....lol....what i really want to figure out tho...is how to make clown step type basslines...the crazy ones that don`t sound like they`re manually punched in but more roll-like or liquid....heard people say use legato and portamento, heard for reason use the line tool....maybe i`m not doing it right when i expiriment but maybe thats not the right approach all together...no idea really...there are no places to take "drum and bass lessons" in pittsburgh...probably not anywhere LOL
29-10-2004 02:50
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Somebody once posted this on a forum. I haven't tried it yet, but it's supposed to be a clownstep bass in Hydra

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

29-10-2004 10:58 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

You can cure all wimpyness with this:

Everything you run through it sounds huge, nasty and evil Gaga

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
29-10-2004 11:19 Homepage of thechronic
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

With what? That red satin blanket?? Tongue
Indeed, Sherman filterbank is quite some tool. It even got designed/homemade by some belgian bloke and got internationally acclaimed shortly after.

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
29-10-2004 12:55 Homepage of Soi
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Well, it's all about distortion...

Well i have to disagree in this one Smile It's not about distortion, sure it may help but it's not the point. Some saturation is always handy but more important is right configuration of oscillators filters and unison mode or "spread" If you want check my last bassline used in "hunter" .. no distortion used on that one .. just filter saturation

__

31-10-2004 16:29
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » phat track sounding bass....