drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » stereo enhancement problem
Go to the bottom of this page stereo enhancement problem
Author
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

So...
I started a track including 2 stereotracks (background noises and melodies) that i seperately panned a bit to the left and the right.
When i bounce the whole track and add stereo-enhancer (mdA Stereo Enhancer), all the individual panned sounds are almost completely gone. They're still in the mix, but way too silent.
Does a stereo-enhancer only applies to monotracks? Does it cancel out already stereo-like objects?

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
18-10-2004 12:31 Homepage of Soi
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I thought most just exagurated the already present stereo elements, so applying it to a mono track wouldn't do anything I thought...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

18-10-2004 12:34 Homepage of Surya
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

i was wrong somewhere: the bounced full track is off curse also a stereo-wav. And with the sereo-enhancer it really blossoms, it sunds open and fresh. But the already panned elements seem to dissapear after i burned it on cd. I don't get it.

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
18-10-2004 12:44 Homepage of Soi
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Strange!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

18-10-2004 13:13 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

It's probably being phased out. Possibly the stereo element already had some stereo enhancement or phasing applied to it, and processing it again cancels out certain frequencies in it.

BTW using a stereo enhancer on a complete mix is a VERY BAD IDEA!!! It might sound pleasing at first but it screws up the phase correlation between left and right completely, causing all kinds of strange artifacts (like you already noticed Wink ) You should be very careful with stereo enhancement, only use it on a few selected elements instead of the whole track.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
19-10-2004 14:45 Homepage of thechronic
B-complex B-complex is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.13

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
It's probably being phased out. Possibly the stereo element already had some stereo enhancement or phasing applied to it, and processing it again cancels out certain frequencies in it.

BTW using a stereo enhancer on a complete mix is a VERY BAD IDEA!!! It might sound pleasing at first but it screws up the phase correlation between left and right completely, causing all kinds of strange artifacts (like you already noticed Wink ) You should be very careful with stereo enhancement, only use it on a few selected elements instead of the wholetrack.

yes it was probably phased, there are some plugins that allows you to change phase of your instrument..
BTW using a stereo enhancer on a complete mix is not THAT bad idea ,becouse it can be useful for reducing stereo to keep your correlation in + values

__

19-10-2004 17:35
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by B-complex
BTW using a stereo enhancer on a complete mix is not THAT bad idea ,becouse it can be useful for reducing stereo to keep your correlation in + values

Yeah true, especially with equipment like the Drawmer Masterflow (got one Big Grin ) that allows you to split the audio in three bands and make the bottom end completely mono, while still enabling you to spread out the high end a bit. Unfortunately only very expensive units and plugins can do this in a subtle and phase coherent way.

But I think Soi was running his entire mix through a stereo enhancer to make it wider. Better to do that by using good old solid panning imo Wink

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
19-10-2004 18:28 Homepage of thechronic
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » stereo enhancement problem