Author
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-121.gif

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

After reading the "needles" tread I thought i post this one in here :

I got a problem with one off my TT´s

The needleholder and the 4 contactpoints in the tonearm are stuck. I mean the following:
- When u remove the complete needle from the tonearm, u see 4 contacts on the inside off the tonearm. I tried cleaning em several times with earsticks and vinagre, but nothing really helps. I pushed em so far that now one off them is stuck, they where heavely oxidized. I cleaned the others now, but there is stil 1 who is stuck. any one got any idea on how I could clean or clear out the other? its kinda annoying since the high tones of that TT don´t really come thru Frown

__
Every monday from 200h00 till 22h00! Check --->

06-10-2004 09:06
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Don't use vinegar, use isopropanol!!

Clean both sides of the contacts, on the needle side and the arm side.

If this doesn't work, rub them clean with fine grained sandpaper.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
06-10-2004 09:12 Homepage of thechronic
D-Lux
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Don't use vinegar, use isopropanol!!

Clean both sides of the contacts, on the needle side and the arm side.

If this doesn't work, rub them clean with fine grained sandpaper.

what the hell is that?

where can I find that product?

__

06-10-2004 12:33
KoFFiE KoFFiE is a male
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-271.gif

Registration Date: 28-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.83

What about cleaning alcohol? (as in - the undrinkable variation of the stuff) Nailpolisher-removal usually is good enough for this job.

Also the very fine grained sandpaper as thechronic says should help a bit, but be carefull with that.

I would also try using contact-spray on it if you have this. If you don't have this, first try the other things, this is quiet expensive, 20eur/bus is normal, you can find this in any specialized electronic shop, very good for cleaning electric contacts)

__
Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by KoFFiE: 06-10-2004 15:57.

06-10-2004 15:55 Homepage of KoFFiE
D-Lux
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by KoFFiE
What about cleaning alcohol? (as in - the undrinkable variation of the stuff) Nailpolisher-removal usually is good enough for this job.

Also the very fine grained sandpaper as thechronic says should help a bit, but be carefull with that.

I would also try using contact-spray on it if you have this. If you don't have this, first try the other things, this is quiet expensive, 20eur/bus is normal, you can find this in any specialized electronic shop, very good for cleaning electric contacts)

I tried with nailpolishis remover...didn´work... vinegair was more effective then :p

grainpaper can´t work, cause I can´t reach the interior of the tonearm... I really need to clean them before I could even try to use that contact spray tho... we'll see what happens Smile

__

07-10-2004 09:24
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Contact cleaner works too, but can leave a residue, so you'll have to wipe it dry with a cotton bud afterwards. I don't prefer this.

Isopropanol is a sort of cleaning alcohol which is very commonly used in electronics manufacturing, you can get it at a pharmacist and it's very cheap (around 1 euro for a small bottle).

Pure alcohol would work too. It's also very cheap and you can use it to desinfect wounds too if you feel hardcore Big Grin

You can reach the inside of the tonearm easily, you just have to roll up a piece of sandpaper and fold it double. This method would only be suitable if the contacts are badly corroded, which can happen sometimes.

For cleaning the rest of the turntable, just use water with a little drop of detergent in it (Dreft or something similar, doesn't really matter). Use cloth or household paper, and wipe it dry afterwards.

The button that makes the light pop up is almost impossible to clean, really frustrating Big Grin

The construction around the tone arm is difficult to clean, but you can reach most parts with cotton buds. A lot of dust and grime can build up in the small corners around the tone arm, and in time this can make the height adjustment wheel very stiff, and the small height adjustment lock can get completely stuck.

Cleaning underneath the platter is rarely needed, but once in a while you can do this. When you do this you can also take off the cover underneath the platter by unscrewing it and use a brush to dust off the electronics. Adjust your braking controls while you're at it Big Grin

If you have some experience with it you can disassemble the entire tone arm and clean it completely. It will feel like a new turntable afterwards!! Mind that putting it back together is quite tricky (especially adjusting the balance of the arm using the tiny screws on top).

It is a good idea to clean the turntable thoroughly on a regular basis, it will extend the lifetime and will give you a smooth operation for years!

especially if the turntable has been used at a gig with a smoke machine it is advisable to clean it thoroughly as fast as possible. The oil from smoke machines is a killer for technics!!

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
07-10-2004 09:57 Homepage of thechronic
D-Lux
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

wooow :o

thx thechronic... will do it all as fast as i can ...

Smile

__

07-10-2004 11:37
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

if your tone arm isnt making a solid connection and its becoming loose, or only makes a connection a short period of time, then its the tone arm completely...cleaning this isnt going to help...you will have to replace your tone arm...if you have ttx1, 1200's or the new stantons this wont be a problem...but if you have any other you will have to buy all new decks...( I had stantons str8-80) and this same thing happened...i took it to get repaired and i found out i had to completely replace everything...stanton doesnt a tone arm for that model so i had to buy all new tt's...i upgraded to teh Technics 1200MKIIB...best investment ive ever made...) sorry to say, but all these cleaning suggestions arent going to work... Tongue if they do work i will be suprised honestly...BUT its worth a shot... if they dont, you will have to replace your tables... Bigup

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

10-10-2004 10:27
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
The oil from smoke machines is a killer for technics!!

The crackoil nightmare. I often work for a well-known bigscreen company and we have to replace expensive parts from the power supplies all of the time because the crackoil causes short-circuits. aaarghh

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
10-10-2004 11:03 Homepage of djfreemc
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

If the wires in the tonearm have broken cleaning isn't going to help much indeed Big Grin

I've often seen corroded contacts in the tonearm. Some DJ's seem to have the tendency to lick the contacts on their needles before putting them on the tone arm. While this might work well for a while it isn't very good for the contacts in the long run, but cleaning them properly will make em as good as new!

Here's a pic from where I used to work Big Grin

Cleaning SL1200s for I Love Techno

__
10-10-2004 11:09 Homepage of thechronic
D-Lux
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Well, I tried, And there is still one contact stuck inside wich won´t come out... I almoast dissambled the whole TT :S

I just could get the head of the tonearm off the tonearm (the thing u have to screw on when u put on the needle) There are 2 lol screws under it, I removed them, but still nog use... I couldn´t get it of Frown

Any other suggestions, or should I just bring it to a shop to let it get repared?

Everything works fine for the rest, except that there is only the left channel playing from that particular TT :S

Cheerz

__

11-10-2004 08:41
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

Aren't those sl1210's? Tongue

For I love tekno?