drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How do you make tracks sound more full???
Go to the bottom of this page How do you make tracks sound more full???
Author
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-191.jpg

Registration Date: 21-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i am having the biggest problem with making my tracks sound full...usually i use a loop and drum machine...a synth for lead and another for bass...and maybe use a pad or 2...but for some reason lots of times it sounds like there is something missing which i can`t quite place...like something in the atmosphere of the track just isn`t there....can anyone help???

maybe my approach is all wrong...???
29-09-2004 22:53
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Maybe you should layer more?

Also make sure you have sounds for every part of the frequency spectrum so you don't have gaps.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

29-09-2004 23:29 Homepage of Surya
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

take time and choose sounds with defferent character and watch them on a spectrograph.
throw a heavy sweep in and look at how flows across the whole graph. you will quikly learn how sound beds quikly eat up headroom if they arent highpassed when the bass kicks in. most usally a nice sound bed has a bit of pulsing in the sub frequencys. and if you have this nice full sound its no good if the b line has no room to breath. basicaly think of sound as a room each part of the room has areas for bass mid and high frequencys. so lets say you take some bass heavy sounds and stack them in the bass section of the room. and then you add more....them the b line......
uh oh shit.... theres no room..you hit the cieling...meaning past 0 db. when you set out to do your next track do it with the thought in mind to fill up the room evenly. drums and hi hats cover a large spectrum with a valley through the mids. your bass line will vary but will range from subsonic to mid range.
vocals tend to be around 4000 hz.

the room also has a left and a right side so think about that as well
30-09-2004 01:56
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How do you make tracks sound more full???