drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Ure top 5 movies
Go to the bottom of this page Ure top 5 movies 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I kinda like the Bourne movies. They're a bit smarter and edgyer than the usual actionmovie coming from Hollywood. I like the second one even better than the first. Those carchases are very impressive and feel very real!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

02-02-2006 14:47 Homepage of Surya
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
Definately agree with you about Akira Kurosawa, I'll never forget the first time I watched seven samurai. That film is like 3 and half hours long and it felt like it'd gone by in a flash. It was only when it had finished and I realized that it was 4 am I noticed just how long it is. I felt so immersed in the story, its definately one I'll always remember. Its amazing to think that this film was converted to be suitable for other audiences, The magnificent seven in 1960. I find it sad that this sort of thing still happens. I for one, much prefer to watch films with subtitles as oposed to dubbing, so a western remake seems even worse. I dont know a single person who enjoyed the US version of ring, grudge etc. So why do the studios do it. I honestly think that theyre running out of ideas. Look at all the film versions of claasic TV shows coming out like Dukes of Hazard or Starsky and Hutch. I'm getting so board of this shit. It seems as though the US film industry is trying to keep itself afloat by recucling other peoples ideas, most of the time ideas that where much better the first time round (War of the Worlds). Yet there is still the idea that its piracy thats killing the film industry, thats bollocks as far as Im cincerned, the industry is killing itself by release one rubbish film after another. I think its the foreign films which are thriving at the moment, south american films like "y tu mama tambien", "city of god" and "carandiru" are so much more exciting, fresh and less patronising than whatever Hollywood has to offer. And the Japanese film industry goes without saying. I saw a great film recently called "Tropical melody" which is from Thailand, its not got flashy special effects or a big budget, but it has got originality, and a good story. Unfortunately these things tend to be a rarety nowadays. Im not saying that there arent good english speaking films out there, but theyre few and far between. Ive still not seen crash, I was slightly put off by the title out of fear that it was gonna be a shite remake of the classic Cronenberg film of the same name, but Ive heard its good so Im gonna try and catch it at some point. I also want to see Jarhead too, but again I havent got round to it. Maybe films like these herald the return of more mature film making.

I always watch with subtitles, you lose so much of the atmosphere & impact of the dialogue when its dubbed - it just ends up sounding cheesy. Having said that dubbing on a lot of, not all but most, old school kung fu flicks is a must, it definitely adds to the humor!

City of god is incredible movie, so vibrant and refreshing, the whole experience of watching that movie was so immersive it was another one of those where I really didnt want it to end. Ive not really seen any other south amercian movies its definitely somewhere i want to explore further. Y tu mamá también looks very good do you think they'll have it a places like blockbuster? I know they are getting better now, my local one has stuff like visitor q & irreversible - I think i may have even rented cicade a deus from there...but the world cinema selction is still limited to like one tiny part of a shelf Roll Eyes

oh and yojimbo is another great kurasowa movie!!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Yawn: 02-02-2006 15:23.

02-02-2006 15:22
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

I hate dubbing, so if I don't understand the language (=not English or Ducht) I use subtitles too. I tried watching Stalingrad (a supposedly quite good warmovie), but this German film was dubbed in English. Couldn't stand it and had to stop watching after 10 minutes.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

02-02-2006 15:33 Homepage of Surya
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
Actually theyre all a big pile of shite.....

My Mistake

I just noticed that at the bottom of your post about fast & the furious

I think i thought it was your signature or something Tongue
02-02-2006 15:55
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by crushfuck
I like david cronenberg's 'Crash' based on the novel by JG Ballard.

Car crash fetishes Doped Shocked

In fact i like most of cronenbergs work, I saw 'a history of violence' which is his most recent offering, at the cinema and it pretty cool, there was definitely something darker beneath surface & i felt kind of uneasy watching it. I like films that dont give all it away, I like some stuff left to the imagination. I like the ending as well, it left me with a bad taste in the mouth which is always good. Wink Im not sure if it is as some of his previous films eg videodrome, the fly, shivers, existenz but I felt it was very acomplished & there was definitely a clear vision as to what he wanted to acheive with it.
02-02-2006 16:17
broadside broadside is a male
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

quote:
Originally posted by crushfuck
In fact i like most of cronenbergs work, I saw 'a history of violence' which is his most recent offering, at the cinema and it pretty cool . . . . . . I like films that dont give all it away, I like some stuff left to the imagination.

Hehe there weren't much left to the imagination in that film tho was there? When they start having a sixty niner in what you think is just gonna be some standard love scene is the only time I can remember actually being embarresed by a sex scene in the cinema Big Grin I'd just walked in, didnt even know who the film was by at the time, intro looked like some shitty family movie, it jsut seemed so weird in the nice family atmosphere he'd built up, which I guess was the idea. And the violence was spot on as well. As were the two pyschos at the start, they fucking acted the part. Brilliant film!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by broadside: 02-02-2006 16:30.

02-02-2006 16:23
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by broadside
When they start having a sixty niner in what you think is just gonna be some standard love scene is the only time I can remember actually being embarresed by a sex scene in the cinema

Yeah I must admit I did think that was a bit unecessary Big Grin cronenberg does like his obtuse sex themes though, just look at videodrome, crash and shivers....i cant say i wasnt suprised Tongue

I do think there were things left to the imagination, obviously not in the violence or sex scene department but on the whole point that was trying to be conveyed to the viewer. Take the ending for example, i wont go in to detail - I dont wanna spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but you cant say that wasnt open to the imagination and your own interpretation?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Yawn: 02-02-2006 16:42.

02-02-2006 16:40
mentalist

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah course it did, there was loads of stuff you heard about that you didnt see etc. dont get me wrong, i loved that film.

anyone see the exorcism of emily rose btw?
02-02-2006 16:58
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

no, was it any good?
02-02-2006 17:10
mentalist

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah i thought so, but not that many people i know have seen it so i was wondering what the wider verdict was. made me shit myself in the cinema, but then just about all but the batest horror films do that for me. which is good. better to be a pussy and enjoy the film, than a fucking hard ass and bored witless imo.
02-02-2006 17:17
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:

I was pretty dissapointed. apart from the church scenes in the beginning which sent shivers (great scenography there!) and the scene with the boy and the hyenas, it was boring with constantly repeating gimmicks, while the fabulae was very predictable..

the dame is hot though!

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
02-02-2006 17:35 Homepage of cynik
mentalist

Helpfulness rating: 

cynik im gonna asume your joking about the dame. i thought she was totally butters. if im wrong, im sorry. if im wrong for even doubting you were joking about her im sorry too. i dont remember any boy and hyenas btw, pls remind me, cos i loved th efilm . . . with me, i swear anything scares me, thats why i emjoy them. what scared em most about this film was the way that guy woke up, and the bitch was just in this contorted position, totally still, just grinning at him. i dont care, that completely pranged me out Big Grin
03-02-2006 01:31
Eycequeen Eycequeen is a female
Sexy Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-831.jpg

Registration Date: 26-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Man, there are a lot of cool things being said, but something Suyra said is what has got me het up (in a good way).

Minority Report. Great fiilm, entertaining. Slightly frustrating. Based on a short story by Philip K dick. The man behind Blade Runner, Total Recall, Imposter, Screamers and Confessions d'un Barjo (confessions Of a Crap Artist) Paycheck. His writing a major influence in films such as The Matrix, Dark City, Thirteenth Floor, Vanilla Sky, EXistenZ (sp) [actual visual referenecs in that one to a PKD character from another story] Equilibrium. The Golden Man ('Next') is in production now (another full adaptation)

3 of his other works have been bought by studios and another is being sought out. His are the most desired works in hollywood as we speak.

Now, I am not excited by any of the above films (aside from Blade Runner) as not one of them has done real justice to the original works. That whole 'has to have a happy ending, it's Hollywood darling' shit totally destroys what he was writing about.

But shit a fucking brick if his most breathtaking book (and the most important I have ever read) has not been made into a Rotoscope ani film by Richard Linklater and is due for release this year. A Scanner Darkly should blow everything out of the water. If it is done respectfully and the consensus is that it is! The rights have been bought over and over (by John Lennon at one point, Terry Gilliam another) to make into film, but no one could work out how to do it.

http://www.empireonline.com/futurefilms/film.asp?id=132320

God, I am so gagging for this film to get a release date I think I might throw up.......scuse me........

__
Make it dark and nasty, make me ache, give me the aural orgasm that only bass can deliver.
03-02-2006 02:35
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
cynik im gonna asume your joking about the dame. i thought she was totally butters. if im wrong, im sorry. if im wrong for even doubting you were joking about her im sorry too. i dont remember any boy and hyenas btw, pls remind me, cos i loved th efilm . . . with me, i swear anything scares me, thats why i emjoy them. what scared em most about this film was the way that guy woke up, and the bitch was just in this contorted position, totally still, just grinning at him. i dont care, that completely pranged me out Big Grin

lmfao! ure right. I got it confused with Exorcist: The Beginning

that explains the hyenas!

as you can see I have not gone nuts, heres the one i was talking about :

Izabela Scorupco

heres more:

Izabella Scorupco

Drool Gaga

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
03-02-2006 07:15 Homepage of cynik
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Wel, seeing that the movie only has a buget of $8.000.000, you might expect them to stick to the book, since there's not much money involved. And Richard Linklater can certainly make good movies, so looking forward!

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

03-02-2006 07:19 Homepage of Surya
fogga
Steppa

Registration Date: 23-10-2005

I don't know but I watched Lord of War lastnight and it's fucking excellent!
20-02-2006 10:41
KoFFiE KoFFiE is a male
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-271.gif

Registration Date: 28-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.83

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Oh, there've been some REALLY good movies out lately, but they weren't the most markteted ones offcourse. Like Jarhead is really good. And Crash.

Crash was really good - but I still don't know what to think of Jarhead. Having seen Full Metal Jacket a lot (10 times maybe) - I could not help being irritated by the blatant copying of so many scenes. Many ppl say it's only the beginning - but it certainly isn't. Also there are so many (small) references to FMJ, and some can't even be called "small" if you look at the horse-scene, which clearly refers to the sentence "You know there's not a single horse in the entire country of Vietnam? There's definitely something wrong with that." in FMJ. The movies are quite different though - while FMJ was anti-war, Jarhead prefers to stay neutral, but still - I was a bit shocked by the fact that it resembled FMJ that much that I maybe looked at it too much as if it was a remake, but it clearly wasn't. I really should go see it again...

__
Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee
20-02-2006 13:06 Homepage of KoFFiE
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Just watched a film called Casshern, fucking ace it was too. A massive blend of Real action, Manga style animation, CGI and Stop frame. Absolutely mental strory line with a nice twist in the tale. Pretty long but well worth it. Absolutely stunning.
20-02-2006 14:39
basshead basshead is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 29-07-2005

grappige film:- Harold & Kumar go to white castle
-sexy boys (something like American pie but a lott funnyer:p)
dopemovie:- requim for a dream
-fear and loathing in las vegas
-Human Trafic
-cheech and chong

__
humts humts humtsss beejbie!
26-03-2006 00:33
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

Offtopic , sorry to distracted the crew's attention but has anyone seen the film Explorers with ethan hawke and river phoenix??

its gotta be the most sentimental film from my childhood, bought it off ebay the other day an was like so happy with it

watchin it these days you see how shit the effects and some of the script and plot are but, such a good kids film

i thinki it was masssive an think it lauched their carrers, cant remember the other kid;'s name, but they like make a spacship out of an old fairground ride/waltzer

river phoenix as wolfgang is fuckin cool, the alien they meet and the whole part on the spaceship jus blew me away seein it all these years on...

sorry back to topic...

__
My Sounds

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Glim: 26-03-2006 04:01.

26-03-2006 04:01
Pages (54): « first ... « previous 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Ure top 5 movies