drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Frequency question
Go to the bottom of this page Frequency question
Author
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-379.jpg

Registration Date: 08-09-2004

Im currently tryin to learn how to get a good mixdown, i understand eq'ing and frequencys, but what program is best for doing this? Any help is greatly appreciated Smile

__
The faster, harder, dirtier, the better!www.mobettatech.com KAITEN IS ME (its trickery!)
13-09-2004 20:25 Homepage of Isis-sama
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I just do it in the program I make my music in, I just put an EQ on about every channel...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

13-09-2004 20:29 Homepage of Surya
Isis-sama Isis-sama is a male
Tourist

by every channel, do you mean every instrument. Or is it like drums, bass, synth, vocal....?

__
The faster, harder, dirtier, the better!www.mobettatech.com KAITEN IS ME (its trickery!)
13-09-2004 21:22 Homepage of Isis-sama
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Usually you EQ everything... kick, snare, hihat, bass, ...

EQing is mostly used to remove certain frequencies which are getting in the way of other sounds.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
14-09-2004 10:28 Homepage of thechronic
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

a little question related to this: what kind of eq is best to work with? A standard 3 or 4 band, something with more bands, or one where u can adjust frequencies & filter bandwith urself?

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
14-09-2004 18:54 Homepage of djfreemc
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
a little question related to this: what kind of eq is best to work with? A standard 3 or 4 band, something with more bands, or one where u can adjust frequencies & filter bandwith urself?

i allways use a parametric eq for such things

__

14-09-2004 20:06 Homepage of Emblem-X
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by Isis-sama
by every channel, do you mean every instrument. Or is it like drums, bass, synth, vocal....?

Every instument, every part of the drums on their own...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-09-2004 20:08 Homepage of Surya
stino stino is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-237.gif

Registration Date: 13-07-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Emblem-X
quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc

i allways use a parametric eq for such things

me too!

__
www.myspace.com/stinomg
www.myspace.com/circlelogicband
14-09-2004 23:14 Homepage of stino
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I think Isis-sama is producing in FruityLoops, so let me help.

quote:
Every instument, every part of the drums on their own...

Excatly. I send them to separate track in the mixer, run an EQ on every one, and then send them to a collector track on the mixer which holds them all, and there I add another EQ for a finish.

Best results. Wink

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
15-09-2004 00:06 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-159.gif

Registration Date: 14-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

hmm, i think EQing every part of your drum is not really necessary. I compress and EQ my drums, and besides that i EQ most of my instruments. I always use Waves L4 to L10, whatever suits best.
I learned that the sound very much depends on mixdown rather than EQ (not saying that EQ isn't necessary). Good monitors will help a lot to get a clean sound.

__

Drop On Request
15-09-2004 01:14 Homepage of Qbit
Tourist

quote:
Originally posted by Qbit
hmm, i think EQing every part of your drum is not really necessary. I compress and EQ my drums, and besides that i EQ most of my instruments. I always use Waves L4 to L10, whatever suits best.
I learned that the sound very much depends on mixdown rather than EQ (not saying that EQ isn't necessary). Good monitors will help a lot to get a clean sound.

I am actually using a progam called Muzys. It doesnt have a built in eq on each channels so I was wondering if there was a good plugin or sometin to use for that.

__
15-09-2004 02:28 Homepage of Isis-sama
Tourist

oh, one more question. Would it be easier to bring each sample into wavelab for eq, or put a vst eq on every channel in my sequencing software?

__
16-09-2004 03:14 Homepage of Isis-sama
muphasta muphasta is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1490.jpg

Registration Date: 29-06-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.88

when i got problems in frequency I use a spectral analyzer to look for the interference. then I locate the sound wich is interfering. then eq it. adjust the freqs with indeed an Eq-device or a stereo enhancer. If you are Ok with a sound you produce, you shouldnt mess with it a lot i think. only if necessary. same for compressing.

cheers a lot!!! Tongue

__
muphasta none dnb
www.myspace.com/muphsugar
reggeadubwise.com
Roots-reggea-project: muphsteppa
muphsteppa@reggeadubwise
16-09-2004 13:12
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Isis-sama
oh, one more question. Would it be easier to bring each sample into wavelab for eq, or put a vst eq on every channel in my sequencing software?

Better to put a VST EQ on every channel. When you put new sounds in your track, you often have to make room for it by adjusting the EQ on the other tracks.
When you do it in Wavelab, the EQ is fixed, and it's a lot of work when you want to make a small adjustment to the EQ.

It's also very interesting to use the VST automation features and use dynamic EQ - eg instead of fading in a sound, you can cut the high and low end using EQ and gradually bring them back, this gives the impression that the sound is coming closer instead of just fading in.

You should vary your EQ throughout the song, always to make room for a new element when it is required. You can simply emphasize different elements by boosting the right frequencies for a couple of seconds and then gradually take it back to the original setting. Much more effective than using volume changes, and it keeps the balance of the track. I do this all the time when I'm mixing, eg guitar solo - boost 2-4kHz by 3-6dB instead of moving the volume fader up Wink

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
16-09-2004 13:46 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Qbit
hmm, i think EQing every part of your drum is not really necessary. I compress and EQ my drums, and besides that i EQ most of my instruments.

Depends on your source material. If you have eg a dry recording of an acoustic drum kit you really need to do a lot of EQ to get all the ringing out of the toms and snare, and to make the kit sound as a whole.

IMO EQ is the most important thing when mixing. You can make a decent mix without any panning, compression or effects, but if you have no EQ you're in trouble!! Big Grin

__
16-09-2004 13:51 Homepage of thechronic
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Frequency question