drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Tunes » Howdy folks.
Go to the bottom of this page Howdy folks.
Author
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-567.jpg

Registration Date: 22-04-2003

Hey dudes.
I been gone for a littel while - 7 years! lol Hope your all doing good...

Ive not been trying to make many tunes for many years - i just got very pissed off trying to use a weak computer, and never being able to make anything that sounded proper, or my computer destroying things id worked for days on. My Mistake (Oh how ive missed that smiley lol.)

Im messing about with a track on cubase, heres what i got so far if u wanna have a listen. I recorded it using TAPEIT on cubase and then cut it up that Wav a bit so its far from finished. i think ive only finishd about 3 tracks out of thousands ive tried to make - maybe il actually do thhis one lol...

http://soundcloud.com/orgonotic/orgonotic-sirius_quarkage
Thats even newer version (17.09.12.)

Latest version: (16.11.12.)
http://soundcloud.com/orgonotic/orgonoti...us_quarkage-v16

Cheers Big Grin

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by M.O.A.B.: 20-11-2012 08:34.

13-09-2012 17:36
djchavez21
Tourist

Registration Date: 17-10-2011

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

If that were my track I would cut everything in half. I'm speaking in terms of time. The intro is way to long. The verse is too long. I like the groove of the drop but it sounds like the drums need editing. The kick sounds muddy and may need some low eq cut on it. If your gonna have a track that long then there's gotta be way more things to keep it interesting. Keep it up though and finish this one!! It's easy to get side tracked and tired of listening to the same track a thousand times but it feels awesome to knock it out. Nice melodies and sounds but it gets a little monotonous at times.
14-09-2012 01:42
M.O.A.B. M.O.A.B. is a male
Producer

Hehe,thanks for the reply.
Yeah it is a bit monotomous isnt it lol. I made it just to listen to myself but then wacked in on soundcloud to show my bro, then put it on here. It was driving me a bit mad yesturday ilstening to that millions of times.

I've just put a proper track into the project so i can see where to put the breaks and intro so its about 5 mins now. Feels better seeing that theres half the space to fill.

I turnd the saturation well up on those 3 kicks that are together in Battery, thats maybe messin them up a bit. I'll try cutting all the really subby frequences.

yeah, il try and complete this one, i blody should do seeing as how many years ive been trying to make dnb and have bugger all to show for it, apart from a few nearly finished tunes and a load of bits lol..

Thanks again.
14-09-2012 03:28
djchavez21
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

What really helps me is to get a spectrum analyzer to make sure all the kicks, snares and bass is living in its proper space and not taking up room where it shouldn't be. Your daw might come with one. If not, I highly recommend getting one. It takes dedication to finish tracks. Its easy to get distracted with life and everything else. Especially when we want out tracks to sound as good as the pro's. I know I want mine to. Keep it up though.
15-09-2012 00:59
Producer

Hi,
yeah ive got Voxengo SPAN but i stil dont know exactly what freqs to cut. I tried cutting those kicks and man it was doing my head in lol. I used the EQ in Battery2 and i cant make them sound as beefy by using eq pluggins instad of the batry one. I dont get it lol. Also when i cut below about 35(thingybobs) the levels get well higher so when i make it zero db again it sounds really weak (Id of thought the levels would go down >.<). Some sort of voodoo in that batry eq.

Im not guna worry about them too much atm, better off trying to get all the parts working together and a decent structure for now.

I used to have soundforge installd aswell and it had a nice graphic EQ i could use on cubase - it could cut to infinity (so it said, but on SPAN i could see they wernt 100% cut). I tried a couple EQs out yesturday but still havent found one i really like.

Whats the best freqs to totally cut on kicks and snares? and where should they be peeking, abouts? Thoses kicks iv got seem to only cut thrugh the mix when their quite subby. You can alter the pitch in batry too so i could tweek that. Maybe when ive sorted the rest i just find some other kicks...

Cheers for the help.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by M.O.A.B.: 15-09-2012 03:31.

15-09-2012 03:30
djchavez21
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

For the kick to be cutting through the mix nicely you want it hitting around 100 hertz and a snare is usually 200 hertz. These are just guidelines to follow. Try to start out with the best sample you can get. A sample that will take the least editing to get it where you want it. But you definitely don't want your kick going below 63 hertz when your baseline is going because they will be fighting each other for the frequencies and it will sound muddy. You can also try hi passing a kick drum and it will cut the low end out for you. But if too much low end is cut out then it wont be effective. A good way to go is to take the low end eq band and bring it all the way to the bottom and while the kick drum sample it looping then move it to the right until the very low frequencies are cut out. If it has lost its impact then move it back to the left to add some more bass to it. Just fool around. Hope that helps.
15-09-2012 05:32
Producer

ok cheers i'll hav a look.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by M.O.A.B.: 17-09-2012 05:23.

15-09-2012 05:45
Producer

http://soundcloud.com/orgonotic/orgonotic-sirius_quarkage

This is newest version - done some EQ'ing and its bit different structure. Still not sorted the kicks, I made them all peeking at abour 100Htz and couldnt get them sounding as meety as they were before. Cant stand a pathetic sounding kick lol

Cheerz
17-09-2012 05:23
djchavez21
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

Add some reverse crash symbols and build ups to give excitement to the drops. A white noise filter build up with a synth build up sounds nice. If you dont know how to make that just google "white noise filter build up" Smile Track is still a little bland. Needs to be louder as well. Nice job on trimming it down a bit. Not much more work to go on it. Keep it up!! Add a subtle background synth pad to fill in the frequencies on the intro. (During the verse about half way through cut out the melody and let the bass do the work. And when you do that, switch up the drums a little bit. Just an idea...)
17-09-2012 05:50
Producer

Cheers.

i tried making the track louder with the dynamins that come with cubase, didnt go so well lol. Ive never known what im doing with EQ and dynamics. I just read a post on here about it and got some new fx vsts, hopfully they will be a bit better. Never sussed out how to do build ups either, ill see what i can find.

Lots of playing to do Big Grin
Laters
18-09-2012 12:22
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Read this on compression.
It's not the tools that matter, it's your knowledge of what you are doing with them.
You'll have to practice with them until you know how to do that stuff, there isn't a magical formula for this.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
18-09-2012 22:17 Homepage of BattleDrone
Producer

Thanks for that. Definaity a good explanation. Still not quite got what release does, il hav to read it again lol.
I've just been messing with this new FabFilter EQ and limiter for about 8 hours lol. It dosent help having speakers that are besides me not in front My Mistake
I didnt use a compressor at all - all limiters. Il see if i can use compressors now.

I tried to cut the peak frequncies of the kicks from the sub but it didnt seem to make the kick any louder or clearer, it just made the sub sound a bit worse lol.

At the mo i have tiny bits of limit on all individual kicks and snares (3 of each) - then anuther litte bit of limit on the kicks mixed into 1 channel and same for snares. Then a littel bit on a channel of kick and snare mixed. Then much more limit on the full drum channel with kicks snares hats n stuff.

Ive limited the sub a tiny bit aswell.
And anuther tiny bit on the master channel.

All in all it sounds very manky. Roll Eyes

Probebly not the right way to do it.

Have a listen if u want..
http://soundcloud.com/orgonotic/orgonotic-sirius_quarkage-v3

Got a M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2 MIDI keyboard coming in the post - Ahhh yeah lol Big Grin Never had one before except when i borrowed my bros one a few times.

Cheerz

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by M.O.A.B.: 19-09-2012 03:30.

19-09-2012 03:00
djchavez21
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

That track sounds much better from the first time I heard it. Good job. Keep reading up and checking out different material on compression and limiting. This guy has taught me a shit load http://www.youtube.com/user/recordingrevolution
His video on compression is really good too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZSJlMbPr...t=ULXDUAaQqWD98
I don't tend to use that much limiting. Not saying it's wrong. But to much limiting and compression will take the life away from your mix.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djchavez21: 19-09-2012 04:43.

19-09-2012 04:40
Producer

Thanks.
Checkd out the vid on compressioin, very nice. I definaitly have a better idea what im doing now. I just turn up the ratio full and turn the threshold right down - then play with the atack and release until it sounds like its not killing the sound, then mess with threshold and ratio. Its nice havig a clue at last lol.

Il chek out his other videos, good bloke he is.

Heres the latest version if u wann hear. Just replaced all EQs I'd done, and used mostly compressors instead of limiters. And I made a string bit the other day with FabFilter Twin and wackd that on for now, dont think it will be staying, not the way it is anyway. They sound a bit too sad to go with the rest of it...

http://soundcloud.com/orgonotic/orgonotic-sirius_quarkage-v6

Dont worry about it to much i know ive posted loads of versions alredy lol.

Oh yeah, if you dont use much limiting/compression how do you get your tracks to sound loud?..
I put a Blu Mar Ten album on yesturday aftre messing with that track and dam their stuff sounds clear and clean lol. Mine sounds like its beng played through a £1 radio compared hehe.

Laters.
20-09-2012 08:14
Hidden identity Hidden identity is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 17-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.21

I'd probably rate this song a 7.5, as it is now.
I liked how the melody took a while before it repeat itself and was also unpredictable but not random at all; it was interesting.

If I were to make a suggestion it would be to add new drums and more variation with the drums. The drums repeat more often than the synth's patterns if i'm hearing right. So, you could possably try to make a beat that is diverse and lasts as long as the melody until it repeats. This is only a suggestion. It's a feeling i got during listening to it.

Thanks for your time. See you later.

__
I'm trying to unfuck my sig.
22-09-2012 01:27
Producer

Thanks.
Good sugestiont that Smile I think your right, the drums are looping twice when the melody loops once (or theres 2 loops that are identical apart from a couple of kicks more in the second one). I woudnt of thought to change that but good idea. Funny you should say that, ive just been messing with my new Oxygen keyboard and made some new drum parts lol. Its not pefect for playing the drums on, I switched to ASIO4ALL which works better, it says the latency is abour 16ms or somthing but sounds more like abourt 500ms to me. Fak knows, il try it in a different usb port maybe the one i use wasnt the best one.

Got some new headphones coming soon, my old technics ones spontaniously conbusted aftre abour 12 years lol. That should help, can crank up the volume and not piss off the neigbours for a start Big Grin

Cheerz

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by M.O.A.B.: 22-09-2012 02:55.

22-09-2012 02:50
Producer

Hey dudes.

Heres the latest version if you wanna listen.
Some EQ changes, new build up samples (dont think they were in last version), vocal samples (not finished messing with them), new extra layer over the bass.

http://soundcloud.com/orgonotic/orgonotic-sirius_quarkage-v9

Cheeeeerz

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by M.O.A.B.: 11-10-2012 14:41.

10-10-2012 14:23
QBM

Registration Date: 10-02-2011

Helpfulness rating: 

Loving the bass on this track has a old logistics feel. a journey sounds about the best way to decribe it. The drums ect still seem to be lacking but overall a very nice track keep at it.

__
http://soundcloud.com/quarterback-monster

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by QBM: 05-11-2012 21:25.

05-11-2012 21:20
mattyb mattyb is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3375.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

love the bass. what i usually do for eqing ..

Kick - cut below 85-90 htz to make room for the sub bass, boost between 100-120(depending on the kick sample) and around 250 for the clickiness (since the kick and snare won't be played together they wont interfere with eachother.

Snare - boost around 250 for the thud and around 2.5k for the crack
06-11-2012 01:21
Producer

Thanks guys.
Being very lazy at the mo, havent done anything on that track for a while.
Think im guna have to maybe start replaceing some of the kicks or snares, dont think they are good enough, as they say "you cant shine shit" lol...
The snares are pretty messed up atm, i had to do a lot of boost on a big chunk of top end to make them sound clearer, im sure you shouldnt have to do that if they are good samples to begin with?...

Cheerz

Arg - Done about 20 hours just trying to fix the kick and snares and they sound worse then when i started >.< Ssssgetting on my tits lol Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by M.O.A.B.: 13-11-2012 02:35.

06-11-2012 19:01
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Tunes » Howdy folks.