drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Side Chaining Synth Help
Go to the bottom of this page Side Chaining Synth Help
Author

images/avatars/avatar-3513.jpg

Registration Date: 28-01-2011

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to make the synth that sidechains, or atleast i think thats what its doing, that happens at about 1:31

Any help will be greatly appreciated Big Grin

__
http://soundcloud.com/nexaka
26-02-2012 05:26
Altodnb Altodnb is a male
Altodnb

Registration Date: 20-02-2012

Im sure there are a few ways to do this, but the way i do it is to create a ghost kick, which is any old kick you can choose on what beats to put it on ( in the Tonight track its every beat) then bring the volume way down so you cant hear it. In ableton i know you cant drag it down to -inf otherwise the sidechaining dosnt work, so i keep it at -68db. you may be able to go -inf on other daws im not sure. Then all you need to do is to put a compresser on the synth you want to sidechain and on the compresser there should be a sidechain option, just select the ghost kick as the input bring the threshold down to around -30db (depends how much you want the sound to dip) and you should have the synth ducking everytime that ghost kick hits. Then you can get creative and make cool patterns with the ghost kick to make your synth pump in really cool ways.

__
Soundcloud
23-03-2012 08:57 Homepage of Altodnb
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

If you use FL studio use an additional instrument which you load with a kick or snare (doesn't matter), root it to its own mixer channel and in that channel you put a Fruity Peak Controller. By default the peak controller will mute the original sound so that odd kick or snare sample won't be audible.
Next you link the output level of the synth to the peak controller, now let the kick or snare you loaded play whenever the synth should be audible. Tweak the peak controller to react like it should (you can change level, tension, ...) and you're done.
You can also link the level of the synth in reverse to the kick or snare.
You'll need a linking formula like this "1 - input". But it just depends on what you are trying to achieve.
(I'm at work and can't watch youtube so no idea of what it sounds like Happy )

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
23-03-2012 09:39 Homepage of BattleDrone
ksd ksd is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3163.jpg

Registration Date: 27-10-2009

to mute the ghost kick (the way i do it in logic) you can send its output to a bus which isn't linked to the main out..so you won't hear the sound but you still have the full volume of the kick triggering the compressor..

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ksd: 26-03-2012 22:03.

26-03-2012 19:47
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Side Chaining Synth Help