drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Producing under influence.
Go to the bottom of this page Producing under influence.
Author
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

So, does it help you guys, or does it always result in whack results?

I think I'll stick to producing with a clear mind for now Big Grin

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-08-2004 19:21 Homepage of Surya
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

hehehehe Big Grin funny spend 2 mights inna row procuding while being stoned like fuck Spliff

the only pain in the ass s that my samplelibrary is a huge mess, can't find anything back lol.. Roll Eyes u can imagine that this is even a bigger problem with a dusty head Big Grin

anyway i does help with me Smile especially while getting those little details into place Smile

cheerz

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Emblem-X: 27-08-2004 19:56.

27-08-2004 19:55 Homepage of Emblem-X
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah, I can hear that Tongue Lol Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-08-2004 20:18 Homepage of Surya
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-159.gif

Registration Date: 14-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

never!

well, not exactly 'never' Tongue if redaiz or easy is in the studio then i'm forced to smoke Big Grin

__

Drop On Request
27-08-2004 21:07 Homepage of Qbit
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

always !

maybe sometimes i don't smoke when i start, but whenever i got something to smoke, it's mostly going when there's a party, or i'm at home producin'

so kinda always Tongue

it works for inspiration on harmony and melodies n such
and what's too much i try to clean up when i'm sober Tongue

__
It's a spiritual thing !

27-08-2004 22:39
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by -J-
and what's too much i try to clean up when i'm sober Tongue

hehehe idd always need to do that afterwards too lol

__

27-08-2004 22:45 Homepage of Emblem-X
stino stino is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-237.gif

Registration Date: 13-07-2003

NEVER!

Big Grin

couldn't do that , my pc is in my living room... , have a younger brother... etc etc

anyway...

i found some very good melodies for diecast unit while being stoned, but for dnb it just isn't possible "technically"

producing the morning after a dnb night or just a ordinary party can be inspiring too...! if you're not to tired ! and only smoked and drank a few beers or so !
if I ended up nearly choking to death, no way i'm gonna come up with a good idea!!! Wink

I really wonder how many of these really big artist make their music under influence... i know it from tricky and from 3D of massive attack, but others... ? maybe mike skinner... or these big dnb producers like pendulum, do they... Confused

would be quite interesting stuff to know

__
www.myspace.com/stinomg
www.myspace.com/circlelogicband

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by stino: 28-08-2004 10:23.

28-08-2004 10:22 Homepage of stino
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

it's cool to know, but it means bullocks Smile
despite of whatever drug you may have taken, it's still always just you who's producing. and technically maybe it could end up to a bunch of trouble (check a good spectrum analyzer after a night of wasted producing Big Grin ) but creatively it can be an aid for inspiration, in my case a big aid for concentration (when i start producing and i light up a spliff, i can smoke that same spliff for an hour or two; cause you get enormously fixated on what you're doing, minding the details and working them out is way less of a pain in the ass then Big Grin Big Grin )

but after all it's still the person
and a drug would then be nothing more then ... dunno, something that gets it out of you Big Grin kind of support, dunno ... something that keeps u going (and that keeps your mind at ease Big Grin )

__
It's a spiritual thing !

28-08-2004 10:41
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

There's no greater pleasure than messing around with sounds, songstructures, layering and experimentin', after a fine handcrafted piece of ease-tobacco. Indeed, one doesn't always work too clean and organized in this state of mind, but it sure helps to try a different approach. Sometimes it's so hard to find the right parts/succession/structure, and that's exactly the time when you need a fresh point of view. If you use the save-as button a lot, or some non-destructrive editing, it's christmas time the next day. There's a big chance you'll keep at least two useful alternate takes. And when variety is a must, this method is a rule! Big Grin
And off course i'd advice all the non-smokers to finally start smoking! It's been way too long you've all been wasting our air by inhaling and stealing our smoke in front of our lungs!!

signed,
Porros Maximus

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
28-08-2004 11:00 Homepage of Soi
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah, figured something like that Soi Big Grin

Anyway, about big names producing under influence: I know Patrick De Meyer (ex-Technotronic, T99...) ALWAYS produces under influence, and he did some great stuff Big Grin (he CAN'T work sober...)

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-08-2004 11:11 Homepage of Surya
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

Helpfulness rating: 

To be honest, I think that more than 70% of all the drum'n'bass producers we know, do smoke stuff on a very regular base. When we organised the skool of hard knocks-party, you should've seen some of the faces, expressions and red vained-eyes. Keaton at a certain moment seemed to be trying to get his way back to the stage while at thes ame time he apparently didn't get it that he was already ON stage...
Not only does it seem to me that everybody seems to smoke nowadays, but it becomes more apparent that throughout all layers of society, hi-class, mid-class or lower-class, people are lightning up there smokes.

__
a myspace
my tunes
28-08-2004 11:29 Homepage of Soi
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

There's plenty of good reasons for that Smile

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-08-2004 11:31 Homepage of Surya
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah, like belgian peepz going to holland to find out that all the Dutch coffeeshops are buying their weed from belgian farms.. Those strange rules of economy...

__
a myspace
my tunes
28-08-2004 11:39 Homepage of Soi
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Hehe Big Grin

But now back on topic: producing Wink

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-08-2004 12:04 Homepage of Surya
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-159.gif

Registration Date: 14-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

quote:
Originally posted by stino

producing the morning after a dnb night or just a ordinary party can be inspiring too...! if you're not to tired ! and only smoked and drank a few beers or so !

word! i get a lot of inspiration from a dnb party. But in general i just ride the 'inspiration-waves' (if you know what i mean) Smile

__

Drop On Request
28-08-2004 12:55 Homepage of Qbit
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah, I like getting home after a party at 8 in the morning and immediatly implementing my new idears Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-08-2004 13:27 Homepage of Surya
Electro Electro is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-350.jpg

Registration Date: 22-04-2004

Yeah it does help in the inspiration department, feel the mood more but then listening back to what you've done when sober is just as important to me, you hear it from two state of minds...which is always better than one...and if you keep in mind that if/when anythin of yours might get released, probably 90% of the people that buy it will be under the influence it's good to see what it will sound like from there ears Big Grin

__
**************TWISTED MIND****************

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/electromagneticmusic.htm
28-08-2004 15:08
rorschach rorschach is a male
Cool Steppa

Registration Date: 24-08-2003

weed: almost always, i admit i have an addiction Cool ;
it sure helps me being creative and having crazy ideas for building sounds; only problem: sometimes i get lost in the buttons and start tweaking one sound for hours to end up with something that sounds the same but with different settings + it makes you doubting stuff 'should i take 50% or 60% ? or maybe 70? noooo, let's try 55%, and then i end up not knowing which one to take because they all sound good' u kno what i mean probabely.. but i find it more fun and satisfying then doing it sober.
alcohol: this works a treat, it messes up your thoughts a bit, but it gets me going like aaaah mooooore basss, moooore heavy shit, evilness all the way etc + much easier to take decisions although they're sometimes very wrong..
other harddrugs: too desastrous for body&mind so i don't go there anymore, although some of them can get you going like a fuckin' train Doped
31-08-2004 14:10 Homepage of rorschach
Mister Softy Mister Softy is a male
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-356.jpg

Registration Date: 02-09-2004

I'm a bloody stoner yes... I'm never totally whacked tho. I like the buzz but I hate losing my mind. Staring at walls and not being able to thinkl or focus is rather pointless me thinks.

__
_ mister softy v0.1
02-09-2004 13:27 Homepage of Mister Softy
Petradex Petradex is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 12-08-2004

I used to only work under the influence(and not just smoking) but have quit drugs and been clean about a month. Smile Personally I think its really helped my productions, I spend a few weeks completely unable to make anything that sounded any good but now iam more used to it I find it much easier to think logically about my tracks. I also find when trying to sort out technically problems etc that having a clear head REALLY helps. Big Grin . I don't think that the mayority of "big-name" dnb producers smoke when they write tunes either(for one thing to smoke in the same room as your mixing desk samplers etc you've got to be pretty stupid, like me until recently My Mistake )
02-09-2004 13:38 Homepage of Petradex
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Producing under influence.