drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Related styles » Dubstep » Dubstep is dead.
Go to the bottom of this page Dubstep is dead.
Author
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Dubstep has become so mainstream and it sounds like a joke nowadays.
If this happens to a music style you can be sure that the leeches will suck it dry and then move on to their next victim.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
12-10-2011 10:36 Homepage of BattleDrone
Rythor1 Rythor1 is a male
D.R.U.

images/avatars/avatar-3447.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2011

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Dubstep, hmmmm.. The problem is that dubstep has that thing that grabs you right off the rip, but then after you listen to a few tracks it gets old real quick. that thing is the traditional lfo'd bass you hear in most dubstep tracks. This has lead to dubstep being kind of a one horse show. The thing that makes it so great is the very thing that will kill it. Without the wah wah wah you really don't have a dubstep track and everyone has pretty much killed that aspect of the style, so where do you go? DnB survies cause it has always been based on the tempo and syncopated ryhtem it uses, this has left it open to unlimited variations of the style that can still be considered drum and bass. We are talkin LTJ Bukem to Ed Rush and Optical, two completely different styles of music but at the heart of it, they are both Drum and Bass no questions asked. Does anyone remember a type of music we just called Dub? Another style that seems to have been lost, or is it?
12-10-2011 11:44
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

There is such an insane amount of new dubstep created every second and they all pretty much use the same sounds and song structures. Get's boring so fast. I'd rather hear average DnB than dubstep

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

12-10-2011 17:25 Homepage of Surya
Impact
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3403.jpg

Registration Date: 29-08-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.25

I beg to differ.
Dubstep/140 isnt dead..
overcooked wobble and cheap theatrics are dead or are on the way already - all in my opinion.

I like 140 as you can make many different vibes with a more deliberate pace and which can be used to make the listener feel hyped or moody or sad or really really on one.
The 'dubstep' I make is only defined that way by its bpm.
To me: anything 135/40 is Dubstep.
I don't pin the genre to the songs contents, merely the bpm.

When going about making 140 music; I tend to split 140 tunes into following types:

1. brostep (which I refuse to make and really dislike)
2. garage based/burial sound (which I love, but don't make)
3. everything else (I dabble in these areas.)

I will keep using whatever sounds/ideas/tools necessesary, to make something that sounds wicked to my ears.. if it doesnt sound great to me; it doesnt get included.
So if brostep is dying> brilliant for me as a listener, producer and label head.
If that means more soulful/moody/deep etc etc tunes and ideas and inspirations - then thats more than welcomed! Cool
I stay true to my tastes and ideas regardless of the label tacked on..

__
Quality DNB clothing Cool
Co founder of Instinct Audio
ImpactMastering: Affordable Digital Mastering/Mixing service

This post has been edited 5 time(s), it was last edited by Impact: 12-10-2011 21:13.

12-10-2011 20:36
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

There used to be a time when any brand that wanted to look trendy and stylish HAD to have DnB in their commercials (must have been around 2000) and things like Roni Size & Reprazent and Kosheen were in the charts. That was a very dark period for DnB (and I'm not talking dark style here) because all the greedy bastards jumped on board and made crap to hit the charts. A year later they had all moved to 2step, leaving DnB as an abused child.
Dubstep is in this phase now, it's all over the place and even 12-year-olds like this commercial flavour.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
13-10-2011 09:21 Homepage of BattleDrone
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Related styles » Dubstep » Dubstep is dead.