drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » One of my studio monitors cones vibrates violently when turned on without any audio input.
Go to the bottom of this page One of my studio monitors cones vibrates violently when turned on without any audio input.
Author
Producer

Registration Date: 10-12-2010

I'm using a pair of M-audio CX5's and when I turn one of them on the cone vibrates violently back and forth emitting a low frequency noise. This is when no audio is p0laying from my computer and starts as soon as it turns on.

Any ideas what the problem is?
Should I just send it back to M-audio and get a new one or is there some sort of troubleshooting I can do?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I just fiddled around with the low frequency cut off switch on the back and when assigned to 80 or 100hz there's no weird vibrating but when I put it on flat mode it starts doing it again.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by JumplnTheFire: 02-10-2011 01:45.

02-10-2011 01:33
Rythor1 Rythor1 is a male
D.R.U.

images/avatars/avatar-3447.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2011

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Try checking some of your gain levels, what kind of soundcard are using, if it has dsp stuff check your levels there. I am 99% sure it's not your speakers, this is more than likely a feedback issue. This can come from a lot of different areas, do you have a lot of hardware? If so turn everything on one piece at a time. Do the speakers do this without your computer or anything else on? Use a process of elimination. Hard to say without more info but I've nearly blasted my eardrums out a few times with similar issues and it usually is a routing issue of some sort with my hardware, give me more info and I'll help as best I can. Peace...
02-10-2011 09:57
JumplnTheFire
Producer

I'm using an Asus Xonar D1 soundcard. There's no where within the sound cards control panel that I can see that has to deal with the gain. The equalizer is right in the middle on everything.

As for hardware I have no out of the ordinary stuff going on, just regular computer stuff (monitor, mouse, keyboard, external harddrive via usb) and a midi keyboard. I tried unplugging the midi keyboard and I'm still getting the same issue.

Edit: I just tried a couple things. First I turned the computer off and tried it. Still got the vibration. I then switched the power cable from the monitor that doesnt have the problem to the problematic one and it still did the vibrating. I then plugged the original power cable back in but switched the spot it was in on the powerbar and still got it. I also got a totally different power cable, one that didn't come with the monitor and tried it and it still gave me the issue.

I purchased a new stereo male to rca male cable to connect things to my computer and that didn't help either.

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by JumplnTheFire: 02-10-2011 23:52.

02-10-2011 23:21
D.R.U.

Helpfulness rating: 

Ok, have you tried hooking the monitor up to something else to see if it does it there as well, and also I'm not sure that this would be the problem but the jack that goes into the speaker should be mono not stereo, again I'm not sure this would be the problem just fyi. But if you take it and hook it up to something else like your home stereo or anything that has an audio out and it still does it you'll at least know it is definitely the speaker. Its just a good idea to be 100 percent sure before you deal with sending it off, cause if you do and get it back hook it up and it still does it would be frustrating to say the least.
Also do you have the volume on the back of the speaker maxed out, if so does turning this down a little have any effect?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Rythor1: 03-10-2011 04:42.

03-10-2011 04:37
JumplnTheFire
Producer

Shouldn't turning the computer off and then trying it have ruled out the audio connection problem? But sure, I'll try setting it up from a different power outlet with a different input device. Changing the volume did nothing, as did trying every other possible combination with other frequency switches on the back.
03-10-2011 23:42
JumplnTheFire
Producer

Alright, so I just went and plugged the malfunctioning monitor into a different wall socket and it did the vibration as violently as i've ever seen it for a bief period of time and then made a little weird noise and then after that on that socket it never had the problem again as i switched the bass modes around. I just now plugged it back into its original slot and im playing a song and although the vibration isn't constant anymore it still does the weird vibrations periodically. I'll try taking it out and plugging it into the other wall socket again and then putting it back and see if it gets even better after another round.

Edit: I did it again with yet another wall socket and it hasn't had the problem on the original setup with my computer yet.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by JumplnTheFire: 04-10-2011 02:34.

04-10-2011 02:19
D.R.U.

Helpfulness rating: 

Alright, now its starting to sound like a possible grounding issue with your houses electrical system (I am an electrician by the way) gounding issues are notorious for causing problems with audio equipment. Do you live in an older house or apartment (flat?)? There are products out there like feedback eliminators and ground hum eliminators. If it starts acting up again you might have to look into these, hope it works out man, pm me if you got any questions.
04-10-2011 08:17
JumplnTheFire
Producer

I live in an older (1920s I think home) so I'm not exactly sure when the electrical would have been done. I know we've recently had all our knob and tube wiring replaced. The monitor still seems to be having problems sporadically... Would it still be a grounding issue if one of the monitors was fine and the other one was fucked up?

Alright... I just turned the monitors on for the first time today now. It was on that flat bass setting and all of the sudden the speakers totally loses ALL bass when on the setting after another weird bit of vibrations... I think I should just send this sucker in...
04-10-2011 20:27
D.R.U.

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah man maybe so, but before you get it back I would look into some type of protective measure for your equipment due to how old your electrical system is, I know you said the knob and tube wiring was replaced but was this a complete overhaul including a panel changeout and new ground rod installation? If not I would maybe look into getting a power conditioner and good surge protector to plug all your equipment into just to be safe. Really this is a good idea for any studio but it just depends on how much you got to spend. I think you can get a descent power conditioner for 150-200 bucks. Also make sure your electrical outlets are really grounded, knob and tube wiring did not use a ground and if a new electrical panel wasn't installed then they might just have the ground wire from the new wiring tapped to the neutral bar in your panel with no true ground, this could cause some feedback/interference issues with your speakers or other equipment. Send the speaker in and go ahead and rule that out before you get into all of that though, I'm interested to hear what comes of it, let me know, peace....
05-10-2011 06:08
JumplnTheFire
Producer

Took it in for repair Tuesday, we'll see how things go! I use a power bar with a built in surge protector for all my stuff. Ill have to ask about what procedures they took with the "re-wiring"
06-10-2011 20:53
JumplnTheFire
Producer

Got the faulty speaker replaced and all is well! Cheers
17-10-2011 05:29
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » One of my studio monitors cones vibrates violently when turned on without any audio input.