drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » what does everybody do for a living
Go to the bottom of this page what does everybody do for a living
Author
Producer

Registration Date: 23-06-2004

im just curious, what do all of you guys do to make the cheddas. as for meself, i work in a friggin bank in a computer room with my headfones on all day, just listening to drum and bass, kool keith, just about eveything, what do you guys do.....

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by hedset: 12-08-2004 08:45.

12-08-2004 08:44
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

still at school, got some catering jobs in the weekends, and some stage-aid jobs too, but nothing regularly ... Roll Eyes except for ... Spliff

__
It's a spiritual thing !

12-08-2004 10:01
basslicious basslicious is a female
Flashtunes

images/avatars/avatar-259.jpg

Registration Date: 08-05-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

still studying aswell ... in the year i get my money by looking very sweet to my parents ( who can't say no to a big hopefull smile Big Grin ) , in the summer i try to find a job to get enuf money to go to parties during the next schoolyear Cool

ah well ... its nit too nice to be dependant , but its the things students have to live with ... Tongue

__
Give it a try , don't be shy
Well you know you might like it
Never been to keen a timekeeper
But i'm a pure new pleasure seeker

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by basslicious: 12-08-2004 10:08.

12-08-2004 10:07 Homepage of basslicious
wicked_wayz wicked_wayz is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1681.jpg

Registration Date: 19-03-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

scientific research at a university, studying fracture formation around tunnels for radioactive waste disposal Big Grin
Really at eas job, mostly computer modelling and writing rapports and articles, sometimes...a bit Sleep

but gonna change in a month or so; maybe start a PhD, maybe environemental firm. one moment, you can choose your job, but only seconds later, the options have disappeared and it's taking what you get Frown . curious about what's comming the next weeks.
12-08-2004 10:37 Homepage of wicked_wayz
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

studying interioir design @ khm mechelen.. now working as shopmanager (lol love the name Big Grin ) @ aquatopia antwerp to earn me some cash for partying, traveling, Spliff 'ing and big investments on monitors and a new soundcard Big Grin

for the rest pretty much dependend on my parents.. which sucks bigtime sibnce they still have some control over my ass then.. Mad well yeah.. don't see that changing in the first year coming..

cheerz

__

12-08-2004 10:47 Homepage of Emblem-X
KoFFiE KoFFiE is a male
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-271.gif

Registration Date: 28-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.83

Started with 2 other collegues a new company a bit more than 1,5 year ago, in the software development business. I'm doing main analisys of problems and designing sollutions - and writing most of the programming afterwards.

So most of the time, it's sitting behind a desk, coding, getting bugged by our manager or clients, thinking up the most fucked up way to solve simple problems and offcourse some regular surfin' & chattin'.

Some times this is interrupted by a meeting where a client tries to explain a problem of which:
1) he can't understand the full complexity
2) he doesn't see it as a problem
3) he thinks it's easy to solve
4) he thinks isn't actually a real hard problem (yeah right..)
5) he demands that it should be solved the next day (or in some other unlikely/unlikable timeframe).
6) he always has a better (and cheaper) sollution ready that he thinks will just fit his needs

As a result - you have to try to explain him in the best and most tacticle possible way that:
1) he is in fact an idiot
2) he doesn't understand a word of what he is saying himself
3) problems are usually problems for a reason, and they don't magicaly dissappear over a night sleep
4) when coming to us usually means that he has a problem of which he or his company thinks they can't solve themselfs, so no - his sollution is certainly not the best.
5) you will have to think more than 5 minutes about a problem like that to come up with a good sollution
6) yes - again - I am absolutely sure the sollution that he suggests will absolutely certainly, 200% sure NOT work at all - and then usually have to explain why, on which he tries to minimalize the problems I confront him with.
7) usually we need _all_ information before being able to design a sollution, we don't have a crystal ball

Sometimes this can be real fun, especially when the guy explaing everything isn't technical, but tries to use psuedo-tech-talk - but you have to keep a straight face in front of the client, so that spoils a bit of the fun. It can also be very boring, when you already knew the problem, already designed a sollution, typed & printed it out, handed everyone a paper with it, and then sit there for 1,5 hours while the big bos discusses possible - all highly problematic -sollutions with the client, when finally, I round it up with words like "I have the perfect sollution - that's where I'm paid for" - and present them my stuff in 15 or 30 mins after which a short (as in 30min) conclusion is drawn, my sollution is picked - and the the meeting is over.

Then there are also some technical meetings where the biggest problems are solved, most coffee ever is consumed - and a lot of fun is made of the manager/client/boss - sometimes when they are sitting next to you (not understanding a word of what you are saying Big Grin )

Luckily I usually don't have to attend the commercial meetings, cause most of the time you have to show up in a penguin-suite, wake up before 9am to attend a meeting at 8h30 or some other inhumane hour at the other side of the country/bxls/...

Basicly that's my job description and I like most parts of the job (some meetings are a bit less - but then again - every job has his downsides).

__
Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by KoFFiE: 12-08-2004 13:34.

12-08-2004 11:03 Homepage of KoFFiE
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

it's fuckking boring here atm ... don't blame people for not buying the crap i have to sell here tho lol Big Grin

lucky enuff i discovered the internetconnecting Big Grin

cheerz

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Emblem-X: 12-08-2004 11:23.

12-08-2004 11:22 Homepage of Emblem-X
poesjka poesjka is a female
Funky Lady

images/avatars/avatar-695.jpg

Registration Date: 13-02-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.43

@ KoFFiE : LOL Hihi

my job consists in spoiling your brains Frown Big Grin coz i'm in advertising.

but basically it works +/- like KoFFiE's.

Client comes and pay agency for weeks of hard creative work, agency presents the work to client, client is afraid and asks for changes, agency re-works, agency presents sth shitty, client likes it... and a few weeks later you have it everywhere. Frown

ok that's looks a frustrating job but i love it anyway.

one precision : i'm attending the meetings but no penguin suit for me hè, and i'm the one who arranges the meetings so never too early in the morning Big Grin

__
Poesjka

31/03 Café Détour @ Lille (FR)
17/05 www.jungletrain.net Motronicism live 17h-19h
28/07 Drum NN bass Part V @ Nieuwe Nor, Heerlen (NL)
12-08-2004 11:28
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

penguin suits lol Big Grin

__

12-08-2004 11:39 Homepage of Emblem-X
KoFFiE KoFFiE is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by emmetje
one precision : i'm attending the meetings but no penguin suit for me hè, and i'm the one who arranges the meetings so never too early in the morning Big Grin

Lucky you Big Grin

Well - it are only the commercial meetings (discussing the money & contracts stuff) that are penguin-oriented. I think I attended 2 of them in the last 1,5 years - so that's allright (and since I don't have a penguin-suite I got some remarks afterwards Big Grin )

The others I sometimes have to organize myself too, and it is generally accepted by everyone that all other meetings (where any of the technical folks should be) don't start befor 10:30am, so I can still get up at 9am, wash myself a bit, arrive at work at 10:15, do some prepping, and then get bugged by a client or brainstorm a bit with the collegues.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by KoFFiE: 12-08-2004 12:13.

12-08-2004 12:02 Homepage of KoFFiE
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

aah penguin suits..took that a bit too literal haha lol I was picturing myself a room full of penguins discussion things rofl My Mistake Hihi

__

12-08-2004 12:16 Homepage of Emblem-X
KoFFiE KoFFiE is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Emblem-X
aah penguin suits..took that a bit too literal haha lol I was picturing myself a room full of penguins discussion things rofl My Mistake Hihi

What have you been smokin'? Spliff Passout

Big Grin

__
12-08-2004 12:18 Homepage of KoFFiE
Funky Lady

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by KoFFiE
and since I don't have a penguin-suite I got some remarks afterwards Big Grin

well i kinda do too, although i'm doin efforts.

but i don't mind, i can still pretend i'm a trendsetter Cool Big Grin

__
Poesjka

12-08-2004 12:21
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:

Big Grin

no those fucking french speaking people are driving me nuts Huh

__

12-08-2004 12:24 Homepage of Emblem-X
Funky Lady

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:

Big Grin

lol.

"we have to increase our market share by 10 % on the North pole".
"then we have to find a way to appeal to sea lions".
"ow, i'd better focus on otaries".
"let's hold a giant poster on the southern ice floe".
Big Grin

Huh

what have I been smoking ?? Roll Eyes

__
Poesjka

12-08-2004 12:31
Funky Lady

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

Shocked wat bedoel je ?

__
Poesjka

12-08-2004 12:32
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

Shocked wat bedoel je ?

dat ik langs geen kante frans meer kan en dakik alles me gebaren en half frans moet uitleggern lol Big Grin

__

12-08-2004 12:40 Homepage of Emblem-X
KoFFiE KoFFiE is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

dat ik langs geen kante frans meer kan en dakik alles me gebaren en half frans moet uitleggern lol Big Grin

Hehe - the best way to learn is to use it Smile Have a swiss collegue sitting next to me now since starting the new company, and my french improved a lot, since his english isnt eeh... real good, and his dutch even less, he can order "een pintje" - that's about it Big Grin

__
12-08-2004 13:01 Homepage of KoFFiE
Funky Lady

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
quote:

Shocked wat bedoel je ?

Frown pas compris...

erm...
let's talk in english , ok ?

and i'll keep on studying dutch for a few months more... Cry
(hey but i already can do more than just pintjes pakken, ha !)

__
Poesjka

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by poesjka: 12-08-2004 13:05.

12-08-2004 13:03
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

oh ki Smile didn't know Wink

i said i amost can't speak no french no more, and that i have to say everything by using signals and broken french lol

cheerz

__

12-08-2004 13:06 Homepage of Emblem-X
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » what does everybody do for a living