drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Static from studio monitor?
Go to the bottom of this page Static from studio monitor?
Author
Producer

Registration Date: 10-12-2010

Hey guys. Today I purchased a pair of M-Audio Studiophile CX5's. One of them is making a sort of low bassy muffling noise reminiscent of someone tapping a microphone moving the bottom cone quite a fair amount. This noise is still present when they aren't connected to my computer with just the speaker plugged in and turned on. The sound coming out of the monitor is just as good as the non muffling one.

Is it static? I switched the power outlet (to a differen't slot on my power bar) and it's still present, as well as swapping power cables from the working monitor to the screwed up one.

Is it a dud? I have thirty days to go and get it replaced easily, then a year with the company itself after that so I'm not in a big big rush.

Thanks in advance!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by JumplnTheFire: 26-07-2011 15:51.

26-07-2011 15:07
Impact
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3403.jpg

Registration Date: 29-08-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.25

possibly a ground loop?

do a quick google to see if your speakers havea known issue with ground loops..

or might be your cable setup?

__
Quality DNB clothing Cool
Co founder of Instinct Audio
ImpactMastering: Affordable Digital Mastering/Mixing service
27-07-2011 18:45
ogenic ogenic is a male
old skool fools with new skool tools

images/avatars/avatar-2978.gif

Registration Date: 25-08-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Try plugging them in away from your monitor? Are they nearfield?
I just got a pair of sony MDR-7509hd's and when I plugged them into my break-out box I noticed a low hum/rumble. It turned out to be my box being too close to the power lead going to my monitors. So I just moved the box and everything is ok.
I never noticed the noise with my other (cheapo) headphones.
I have an optical connection to my monitors, but I'm asuming if it was a normal phono lead it would pick up the noise too?
Just checked, you are using audio cables. If you are not using balanced cables you are more likely to pick up "noise".
Yeah, I'd check ur cable set up.

__
OGENIC
Drummer
04-08-2011 14:01
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Static from studio monitor?