drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » sampling classic songs
Go to the bottom of this page sampling classic songs
Author
Producer

Registration Date: 15-05-2011

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

hi,

i started producing just recently, and while my tracks are kinda okay, they really need that something extra. i've spent a lot of time looking for good vocal samples, but most of them are just complete crap :/
how does one sample old songs, like netsky does? tracks like everyday (marvin gaye), starlight (jeff buckley), i refuse (the temptations)... all center around those awesome samples. now i'm aware of the audacity tric of using the instrumental to single out the vocals, but it's not like there are a lot of perfect instrumentals out there, or is it?

thx!
17-06-2011 11:02
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

1. crate digging (search through old record collections, library,...) old tunes were sometimes played by coverbands, bigbands and what not... without the singer.
2. Live versions sometimes have a long intro which contains what you need;
3. find the a capella version and use that to knock out the vocals from the original version;
4. if a tune contains repetitive material you can sometimes cut out the bits without singing and reconstruct the music because the vocals don't always cover up the same parts, this is hard work, but because it is hard work it hasn't been done before;
5. Izotope RX VST, repairs holes in your sample (holes you made to cut out the vocals);

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
17-06-2011 11:33 Homepage of BattleDrone
bigh

Registration Date: 13-05-2010

google "motown acapellas"

netsky used them a lot
17-06-2011 14:59
godd godd is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 15-05-2011

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

thanks for the quick replies! gonna check out that site right away (y)
17-06-2011 19:48
xGranty xGranty is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 20-08-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

considering netsky is "Against Piracy" Its funny how he most likely hasn't asked for the rights to use those samples, anyway these samples are really good but so over used. Try asking around your neighborhood for vocalists ?
07-01-2012 04:27
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » sampling classic songs