drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » What usually accompanies a Neuro-bass?
Go to the bottom of this page What usually accompanies a Neuro-bass?
Author
xSky

images/avatars/avatar-3448.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

So I got me some pretty nice modulating neurobass (finally!!!), however it sounds kinda dull on its own.

What do you usually add to accompany it, to make it all glue together?

Cheers!

__
--- My Soundcloud ---
Jeffijoe - Distance EP [CrossBase]

02-06-2011 22:23 Homepage of jeffijoe
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Pads!

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
10-06-2011 12:17 Homepage of Phalanx
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

Drums.

If the bass is nice and the drums are nice the tune doesn't really even need anything else to it in my opinion.
But to keep the tune interesting you could have some jazzy piano chords coming in every once in a while, or maybe some modulated vocals.

Or pads.

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Puzzle: 10-06-2011 14:21.

10-06-2011 14:20 Homepage of Puzzle
timmehhurts timmehhurts is a male
Her Jade Eyes

images/avatars/avatar-3330.jpg

Registration Date: 14-03-2011

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

Pads and drums!

The thing that makes a darkstep song stand out isnt always the bass, a lot i have heard have very similar bass effects and sounds but they still rock because they have something to them like some awesome samples of vocals or real instruments or whatever. then there are the ones with standard neuro basses and nothing else to them...

have an experiment with cool samples you have.

and you can never go wrong by adding more cowbell...

__
I <3 Bass

Her Jade Eyes
Soundcloud
Facebook

13-06-2011 02:30 Homepage of timmehhurts
jeffijoe jeffijoe is a male
xSky

Cheers for the replies.

I got my drums and bass rollin, but I just cant fill out the rest of the spectrum with something that fits..

I also notice chewns that only has the bass and drums, but it fills the sound spectrum.

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

14-06-2011 16:02 Homepage of jeffijoe
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Other crazy shit...
Scary sounds, vocal bits, sweeps, clicks, ... anything that sounds good.

Make sure this stuff isn't too loud as you want to keep the focus on DRUMs and BASS after all.

Something that works really well for me is very silent loops which are almost inaudible if you don't know they are there but they cover up any silence very well without getting on your nerves. Check SpectraSoul and other minimal artists to discover how it works, they always have some tiny sound carpet going on in their tunes. In minimal there is a way bigger risk of painful silence so they need to focus more on covering.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
14-06-2011 17:15 Homepage of BattleDrone
jeffijoe jeffijoe is a male
xSky

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Other crazy shit...
Scary sounds, vocal bits, sweeps, clicks, ... anything that sounds good.

Make sure this stuff isn't too loud as you want to keep the focus on DRUMs and BASS after all.

Something that works really well for me is very silent loops which are almost inaudible if you don't know they are there but they cover up any silence very well without getting on your nerves. Check SpectraSoul and other minimal artists to discover how it works, they always have some tiny sound carpet going on in their tunes. In minimal there is a way bigger risk of painful silence so they need to focus more on covering.

SpectraSoul is awesome!

Alright - so something that you wont notice, but makes it whole?

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

15-06-2011 14:58 Homepage of jeffijoe
Mahyhem

Registration Date: 16-09-2007

What I found worked pretty killer on a Neuro track Im working on is reverb.... but wait before u jump to conclusions....I turned the decay right down to 1ms and raised the pre-delay and kept the entire reverb vol down, but it gave it a basic dimension expansion which I found filled the spectrum perfectly Smile
17-06-2011 07:49
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Mahyhem
What I found worked pretty killer on a Neuro track Im working on is reverb.... but wait before u jump to conclusions....I turned the decay right down to 1ms and raised the pre-delay and kept the entire reverb vol down, but it gave it a basic dimension expansion which I found filled the spectrum perfectly Smile

Read this somewhere else too... never tried it though.
How long is your pre-delay approx?

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
17-06-2011 10:40 Homepage of BattleDrone
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by Mahyhem

This...along with automating the both of those parameters works nicely. Opening up the 'verb's decay to pick out notes etc.

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

17-06-2011 19:55 Homepage of D2o
Mahyhem

Registration Date: 16-09-2007

haha thats a good question...to be honest I don't think Ive ever looked at the parameter of the pre-delay lol Thats one thing I always just do by ear, but on the fruity reeverb 2, I usually turn the knob to roughly a third. It really depends on the tempo of ur track, so u really just have to mess around with it until it sounds good and fits ur tune Smile
18-06-2011 02:09
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » What usually accompanies a Neuro-bass?