drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mids!
Go to the bottom of this page Mids!
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 25-09-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

So, the question is how will I get good mids out of my bass.

I have a problem when trying to construct a smooth aphrodite/like bass. The problem is I don't get enough mids out of it, so when I play the tune out of say on board computer speakers I dont hear a thing! The only way to hear my bass is through headphones or systems that can reproduce a good amount of bass freqs. When I mix on headphones that are flat rate (that dont emphasize a particular freq) the bass is perfectly audible. Here is the catch. The aphrodite bass, say in Stalker for example is really audible even on the Sh***ty speakers where I cant hear a thing out of my otherwise solid bass. What am I doing wrong? How can I make a low bass emit good mids for a solid bassdriven track? Bc the bassline on this track is the main hook I want it to be audible in all freqs. Help plzzz! I am trying to split the freqs and boost mids but I dont seem to manage getting something solid (in reason).

It is easy to get mids out of a Reese that is made out of a saw wave. I think my problem has to do with the fact that the bass I am trying to construct is a sine wave and not a saw. I want to get a legit mid bass sound with a SMOOTH bass not a heavily distorted saw reese. Or maybe should it be a square? Damn I feel kinda lost this thing is really frustrating me...

I am not trying to copy the aphrodite bass I am just trying to use it as an example to illustrate what I am trying to get at. And I am not expecting people to give me the solution in my hands... I am merely asking for some tips maybe - the thought process/ logic behind it- so I can get on the right track

__
quote:

Why say kids, who likes candy?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by xaotikos: 01-05-2011 09:21.

01-05-2011 08:42 Homepage of xaotikos
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

send your ready-to-use sub bass to another mixer channel, use some distortion on that channel. Hi-pass the result at around 250Hz. Roll off the hi end at 1kHz and turn down the level until you hear just enough of it.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
01-05-2011 15:06 Homepage of BattleDrone
xaotikos xaotikos is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 25-09-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Thanks a million already I am getting much closer to what I want!

One other thing... Reason doesnt have a high pass filter. So what I did was I split the chanel as you said with Spider plugged it into the imager, soloed high band and took the x-over freq level to round 250. then under it I plugged an eq whereupon I boosted at around 250 and rolled of after 1kz. Is this the bet way to do it? Thanx again what you told me is awesome! You cant imagine how absolutely happy i am right now! lol

__
quote:

Why say kids, who likes candy?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by xaotikos: 02-05-2011 02:42.

02-05-2011 02:24 Homepage of xaotikos
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mids!