drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Newcomer needs help sequencing
Go to the bottom of this page Newcomer needs help sequencing
Author

Registration Date: 02-08-2004

Forgive any misused terminology...

I've made several drum patterns in reason with Redrum. Each is at 16T (what is the diff between 16 and 16T?) on the resolution knob and each contains 16 steps. The tempo is 100.

When I track it out, it never loops perfectly from measure to measure, the patterns reloop at about 3/4 the way from where they should. Is it a simple matter of changing the time signature? (I have yet to be successful in switing it up)

Also, when i attempt to export into Cubase; 1) the pitch on the audio file goes up and 2) i don't even know where to begin with that shit.

Please help and thanks for taking the time.
02-08-2004 17:18
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by Pongid
I've made several drum patterns in reason with Redrum. Each is at 16T (what is the diff between 16 and 16T?) on the resolution knob and each contains 16 steps. The tempo is 100.

When I track it out, it never loops perfectly from measure to measure, the patterns reloop at about 3/4 the way from where they should. Is it a simple matter of changing the time signature? (I have yet to be successful in switing it up)
I don't know reason but the time signature could well be the problem judging from what you write Big Grin

A 16T time signature is a 16 count time signature using triplets, you have to count 123123123123 instead of 1234123412341234 so you'll end up with 12 counts instead of 16. That's why Reason loops it after 12 counts instead of 16.
It's still called 16T because it spreads out three notes in the same space (1 bar) as is normally taken up by 4 notes using a regular 16/16.

If you're making 'standard' dnb (i.e. without triplets) you need to put it into a standard 16/16 time signature (without the T).

It is by the way perfectly acceptable to mix triplets and standard timing for different melodies in the same song, or even work with triplets in a part of a melody that is for the most part in normal 4-count 16/16. I don't know how you can manage this in a step sequencer but in normal pianoroll sequencers this is possible. In standard notation you see the marking +----3----+ above the notes that are to be played in triplets.
This is a technique that's common in music styles such as classical, folk and melodic metal, and gives a very advanced swinging feel to the melody.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
02-08-2004 17:46 Homepage of thechronic
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by Pongid
Also, when i attempt to export into Cubase; 1) the pitch on the audio file goes up and 2) i don't even know where to begin with that shit.

This is probably a sample rate conversion problem, probably you have Reason set to export at 44.1kHz and Cubase playing back at 48kHz. (Or Reason set at 32kHz and Cubase at 44.1kHz)

If you ever think of putting your tracks on a CD you should always be working in 44.1 kHz. If you're working on high-end systems you can also chose multiples thereof (eg 88.2kHz or 176.4kHz).

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
02-08-2004 17:49 Homepage of thechronic
Pongid

Registration Date: 02-08-2004

ahhh TRIPLETS OF COURSE. that solved everything man, thanks a bunch.

as for the cubase conversion, i will definitely test that out to make sure; and ty for the cd conversion info

thanks again.
02-08-2004 18:00
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Newcomer needs help sequencing